Sign in to follow this  
Fallen

New Warlord Rules Book!

Actually, wouldn't the cost for teleporting already be calculated based on big/powerful models being the most likely to be teleported? :rock: Except in unusual circumstances, I don't think people would be likely to teleport a soldier model. I mean, you could teleport one of your soldiers into the midst of the enemy, but how much damage is he really going to do before getting killed? Likewise, you could teleport an enemy soldier into your own mob for a severe beatdown, but that woud be a lot of SPs to use just to kill one soldier.

The spells are priced around the best models they can affect.

Damage reduction itself is an ability that requires some experience to handle correctly. Wowahbo, try using cheap fire spells or poison since DR models don't usually have the Tough SA so it's a cheap way to over power their expensive SA. Poison won't work in the case of MossBeard since he is a construct, but it's worth mentioning. Fire Wall is a great spell for

Also don't forget to take all of your defensive strikes. Each trampled model should get one defensive strike, and if he's plowing through your ranks those add up, which means a few hits should be more than enough cut through that DR.

Since you're using Darkspawn I also suggest you make use of Dibilitating Pain or Mind Blast. The damage let's you start cutting away at their DR, and the Stunned affect lets your soldiers move in without being worried about those pesky defensive strikes.

OK. Wait until 2 freakin' Mossbeards get teleported onto YOUR flanks, guys. I mean, there I was expecting to meet Centaurs and instead Daren showed up with Panzerarmee Afrika. Oh, the joys of life on Taltos . . .

Heh, yeah, that's a big bummer. Like Durkon from Order of the Stick says, "the trees are the enemy!" Something big and nasty is what the Elves have needed for a while, so I'm glad they got Mossbeard the way he is. It's a bummer for everybody else, though!

How have you constructed your army? Often I will pick a theme and go with that for my army - be it a specific leader and how I imagine he would arrange his personal fighting force, or "cram as many elites in as I can" or "as much magic as I can" or what have you. But when I approach building a fighting company to lay down some serious hurt on whomever gets too close, say at a tournament, I have some handy guidelines that I try to follow. They are as follows:

1. What will I do if they have some high DV models?

2. What will I do if they have some high MD models?

3. What will I do if they have a swarm of weak models?

4. What will I do if they have a powerful mage?

5. What will I do if they have lots of range?

The answer to #1 is almost always to pack a caster who can just bypass DV an maul the model. Sometimes it is bringing a caster with Bless or some such and pair that with a high MAV or RAV model.

#2 typically isn't too important since the majority of your army can bypass MD and won't have trouble with a mage's DV.

#3 means you have to have some measure of numbers in your own list to avoid being completely swarmed. In the past a good rule of thumb is that ~20 models in a 1,000 point fighting company is a good number to land on. Depending on your trooper choices this can swing up or down, but if your force is too small you may have trouble.

#4 means that you'll want to think about a healer or a a model that can counterspell. Again - in the past, taking magic was fairly rare, and I was in the minority for considering them as often as I did. I imagine that is changing.

#5 can mean alot of things.. using high DV models is one response, having plenty of range yourself is another response. Having a very fast model or models, like fliers or cavalry, is another response. Burrowers could be, though the possibility of them getting dragged to the surface prematurely is greater now. You can add models to deal with the enemy's ranged models, or you can plan ahead on what your tactics ought to be, but either way you should have something in mind.

All that to say, keeping those guidelines in mind as you construct a force will mean that you ought to have at least one answer to every problem you face. Will the enemy be able to demolish your answer? Perhaps... but at least you've got a shot and with clever maneuvering and a bit of luck you may find yourself carrying the day.

Also note that a model with DR is best taken out all at once in a single activation, that way you don't have to deal with the DR more than once. If it's possible, which it may not be possible. That's one of those theoretical aspects of the game that may or may not ever actually pan out in the game.

Whatever you want to play on? My playtest games were on 4'x4' (which seems to be a fine size for 750-1000 point games), but as before, you can play the game on whatever size table and at whatever point value you want. :)

~v

I don't remember if the book actually says, but given that the longest range of anything is now 24", 4x4 should be plenty.

Whatever you want to play on? My playtest games were on 4'x4' (which seems to be a fine size for 750-1000 point games), but as before, you can play the game on whatever size table and at whatever point value you want. :)

~v

I like 250 point games on a 14' x 28' table, but maybe I'm just cooler than Vince.

You say a 14' x 28' table like its a joke, doesn't everyone have a table this big in their basement? ::D:

Actually though one of my friends did have a table that the standard size was 7'x16'. For most games that was fine, but when we really wanted to go whole hog it had two wings that could be flipped up to add an additional 4' on each end bringing it to 7' x 24'. good for naval games and 1/72 armor and aircraft games. It might take some time before Warlord troops managed to get into contact with each other on a table that big.

I say never go with a table more than twice as wide as you can reach. Length should only be determined by the size of the room you can put it in.

My old group used to play on a 6x8 table that could be extended to 6 x 12. I could barely reach the center of that 6' table, so my current table is 4x8, and eventually I'll have a 5x12 table.

Hence why the big table had the odd width of 7' which was definitely stretching it, fortunately there were some tall people in the group and the table height was set a little lower than normal.

Edited by Heisler

I've found that if you make a table wider than 4' your asking for trouble, especally if your using buildings.