Sign in to follow this  
Fallen

New Warlord Rules Book!

Like Heisler mentioned, it depends on the height of the people in the group. For a store, or other public place, I'd stick with 4' wide max, because you never know who's going to use it. . For a private game room, I'd go as wide as the owner feels comfortable. My friend Jay had no problem reaching to the center of his 6' table, and even though a couple of guys in the group could have pushed it to 7', he wasnt' sure that they would always be there, while he knew he would. Likewise, when I moved away, I felt that the max width for my own table should be 5', becuase that's what I can reach, even with buildings.

OK. Wait until 2 freakin' Mossbeards get teleported onto YOUR flanks, guys. I mean, there I was expecting to meet Centaurs and instead Daren showed up with Panzerarmee Afrika. Oh, the joys of life on Taltos . . .

Hay, I just figured out how to put in four Mossbeards!!! But no teleport :(

I admit its a little too much, and I told you it was a cheeze list!

Why Teleport is Broken-- in B flat (For watch me Break this in one sentence flat.)

Witch Queen teleports your Warlord, Captain, mean mamma-jamma within 2" of herself and then summons Rauthuros into b2b who then brings the beat down. Reminds me of my D&D days when I cast Teleport offensively and teleported my target 80,000 feet directly over my head. :devil:

Yeah, but I bet CAV would kick butt on a table that big. Range bands would really come into play.

Ahhh, the memories. Yeah that was fun back when I used to actually play. Nothing better than landing an Indirect shot at about 110 inches.

Witch Queen teleports your Warlord, Captain, mean mamma-jamma within 2" of herself and then summons Rauthuros into b2b who then brings the beat down.

If the opponent's big models is within 12" (the pick-up range of Teleport) of the Witch Queen and Rauthuros is not already on the board, you are doing something wrong. Sorry.

~v

Teleport can be a nasty bit of business. So can Rauthuros on a bad hair day. It's a strategy you have to adjust to. Like being overlapped by Overlord grunts or smashed by iron-hard Crimson Knights or peppered with arrows from ranks of archers or turned into kindling by multiple fireballs. It's just another tactic in the game. I expect to get slammed by it a few times. I'm a slow learner. But I will learn. I will prevail!

(Cue We Are The Champion)

And at least you still get defensive strikes :) So you're that much better off than if you're playing one of those other "I go, you go" type games where the guy who attacks first wins. There are a good number of warlords who could put some severe hurt on Rauthuros before they go down.

@Wowahboy

I'm not sure how your soldiers were positioned, but one thing that I found that helps against Trample is to spread out a little more. If your soldiers don't leave a spot for Mossbeard to end his movement he can't trample through that area.

If you have 2 lines, make sure the first line is just over an inch away from the second line. That way Mossbeard can't hit both lines, since he has to cover the center point of their base.

Also, since his entire base must move past all the soldiers he is trampling you can stretch out a line of soldiers just enough so that he can't reach all of them. Since he can only move 7", that means at most he can Trample over 5" worth of models, then leave 2" for him to fit his base and stop movement. If you again use just more than an inch you can prevent his trample with just 3 models. (He can't end movement on top of the 3rd model, forcing him to send his Trample a different direction.

Now, some models will get stepped on, but by changing your formations once you realize what you're up against you can hinder the model. Just like how we change formation once we see top tier fire mages for fear of a Fire Storm centered on your troop, it's important to separate your models once you see a 100+ point Trample model deployed on the table.

This is only an initial strategy that I've found against Trample. I'm sure more will come up as we continue to play.

Edited by shakhak

Witch Queen teleports your Warlord, Captain, mean mamma-jamma within 2" of herself and then summons Rauthuros into b2b who then brings the beat down.

If the opponent's big models is within 12" (the pick-up range of Teleport) of the Witch Queen and Rauthuros is not already on the board, you are doing something wrong. Sorry.

~v

Sure... Your point still doesn't change the fact that teleport is broken. Especially when cast by a proficient caster.

To address your point. I'll do it on turn 1 because the rules, as currently written in the beta play test, do not specify where my deployment zone is. In fact, I could deploy in your deployment zone for all intents and purposes. It is assumed that deployment zones are across the table from each other, but the rules do not say that. They only state the dimensions of the zone, and that it is on a table edge. The zone's location is never defined.

Three weeks of rigorous playtesting here in Austin, TX is discovering all sorts of problems, like this one, with the rules.

I don't think that the missing sentence in the Deployment Section of the rules really has anything to do with the whether Teleport is broken or not. Heck if you started in the same Deployment Zone then you wouldn't need to teleport anything, you could surround the mean mamma-jamma during deployment.

Your one sentence attempt to show that teleport is broken just doesn't work. For a single spell point more I could mind blast him, deal 2 points of damage and stun him, then charge in and attack without even taking defensive strikes.

For Teleport to be broken, it must be more valuable than Spells of Equivalent value. And when I compare the spell to others it seems to fit pretty well. Chain Lightning lets me fry 5 models which could easily remove 100+ points from the table in a single round.

Now I'm not saying that Teleport isn't advantageous or possibly broken. It's just that I don't think you can out right claim something is broken when it requires all of the actions from two models whose point cost totals almost 400 points.

I respectfully submit that the proper place to bring up the brokenness or missing-ness of rules is probably within a group of playtesters and then directly to Reaper via email or whatnot, as opposed to on the company's public forum.

As the product is still currently in beta, and as the people who are playing the beta now are testers, I think it's reasonable to expect loopholes, inconsistencies, poor spelling, and all of that fun stuff. Isn't the purpose of playtesting to detect the problems so that they can be fixed?

At the risk of being too aggressive, I think it's poor form and unfair to Reaper to receive their beta document so that you can test it for them, and then turn around and disparage them on their own public forum when you find errors. I know that if I were them I would feel slighted.

Just an FYI - we are currently heavily playtesting these handful of remaining issues. We are also fixing all the little things people have found, like the deployment zone error. ::):

I agree with jd. Relax.

As for me, if I get punked by Teleporting Mossbeards, Teleporting sucks; if I get swarmed by Centaurs, Centaurs suck; if I get shot up by Overlord Crossbowmen, Overlord Crossbowmen suck; if I am allowed to purchase only one Flask of Hellfire because Gus made Flasks of Hellfire unique, Gus sucks; if Jason beats me, Jason sucks, and so on. Nothing to do with the rules.

These rules are simple yet complex. Gus and crew have done a wonderful job.

Remember that company of British Infantry that I built to fight Bloodstone Gnomes? They finally faced Gnomes the other night and got swarmed and ended Turn 5 surrounded in square. The rules worked perfectly.

BSGs suck.

-Dan

BSGs suck.

LMAO - well said, Dan. Not just about the BSGs, but the whole point about what sucks in a game.