Sign in to follow this  
Fallen

New Warlord Rules Book!

Thanks for the above info. Not sure how I feel about more minis needed for the same point value game. Thats great for existing players, but more money for new players to get into the game.

Why would people want to move away from square bases? How will we ever see a sweet rank and file game if that happens?

Exactly why I don't care for them. Having to keep troops locked in a formation bothers me and changes the style of a game. Its great for historical mini games or Warhammer fantasy where you have a bazillion troops on the field and move them with movement trays.

I was told Warlord has rules for positional based attacks, so square bases makes a little more sense.

Thanks again for the explainations. I look forward to trying the new version.

While with certain builds , one may need more figures , this is not necessarily the rule . As for having to keep troops in a formation , this has never been a part of the games as the command radius is quite large and the positioning of attacks for advantages has gone .

When playing with new players, smaller games (500 points) are recommended. This can easily be done with a handful of miniatures. For example, here is a 500 point army with just 7 models:

Duke Gerard

Finari, Justicar

Marcus Gideon, Undead Hunter

Justicar x 4

In fact, there are tons of 1000 point armies you can build with less that 10 models, if that is what you prefer. ::):

You can also get over 100 models in a 1000 point list too... :devil:

Thanks for the above info. Not sure how I feel about more minis needed for the same point value game. Thats great for existing players, but more money for new players to get into the game.

Just to address this so that you don't get the wrong idea.

Some armies won't see much of an increase. I have played a Reptus army with 15 models or less. The real advantage of some being able to take more figs is that you can play with more types of models. We hope that instead of going out and buying 10 more Shield Maidens to compliment your existing 9, you instead finally deploy the Berserkers along side them.

Just don't worry too much about needing lots of figures. Every army still have options to play with strong models with light numbers. The gates are opened for you to play how you want.

I imagine it's something you'll understand more when you can see it.

We hope that instead of going out and buying 10 more Shield Maidens to compliment your existing 9, you instead finally deploy the Berserkers along side them.

Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha...**cough cough** Too many bwah-has. :devil::lol:

Now, nobody worry. The Dwarves are still DA BOMB. :wub:

::P:

:lol:

Wild Bill :blues:

Wow, what awesome news! I'm excited and have some trepidation, but I think there is definitely room for improvement and I am sure this will breathe new life into Warlord. Which is excellent! Can't wait to get this and learn more!

I come from a WH40K and Confrontation background. After getting in to both games I was never having as much fun as thought I should and was beat down by slow game play and rule that really limited my strategic options.

Than I got to play test Warlord 2nd ed and let me tell you it is the most jamming table top game I have ever played! Cats like Gus and Jason have put insane amounts of work into making sure that win or lose; you will have fun and want to play again. Plus with some of the best looking and most affordable minis out there you can’t go wrong with this thing.

In fact, there are tons of 1000 point armies you can build with less that 10 models, if that is what you prefer. ::):

You can also get over 100 models in a 1000 point list too... :devil:

Just don't worry too much about needing lots of figures. Every army still have options to play with strong models with light numbers. The gates are opened for you to play how you want.

I imagine it's something you'll understand more when you can see it.

Awesome. That's what I needed to hear. Can't wait for July 29th to come now ::D:

Than I got to play test Warlord 2nd ed and let me tell you it is the most jamming table top game I have ever played! Cats like Gus and Jason have put insane amounts of work into making sure that win or lose; you will have fun and want to play again. Plus with some of the best looking and most affordable minis out there you can't go wrong with this thing.

We can't 100% confirm that BKBass is not a paid spokesperson. :upside:

No No No No No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can't do this.

My gaming budget for the year is already spent well into Sept, and with this coming out, I imagine it and all the accessories I need* for it will push me well into next year!

<sigh> You guys are just too cruel.

*want

One thing that I heard in the past is that the Warlords are not really used in the games until the very large armies (again, I could have been hearing things wrong). If this is the case, is there something being done where each army / band actually has a warlord in it?

Warlords will only be required in games above 1000 points. However, there are benefits to having a Warlord in the army even when not required.

This is no longer correct. The text on Page 6 of the Public Beta Playtest copies handed out at ReaperCon (requiring Warlords in large games) is legacy text and was supposed to have been removed. ::(:

The entirety of the new Chain of Command rules are:

"If you have 3 or more leaders in your army, at least one of them needs to be a captain or a warlord." (see, I told you the game is simplified!)

Yes, this means you can play a 10,000 point game with just a single captain and no warlord. However, not only are more expensive models more worth taking (as Stubbdog just pointed out), every single Warlord model has a special benefit for taking it. For Example, Prince Danithal's Warlord Ability is:

"All leaders in the army gain the Weaponmaster SA for Close Combat attacks."

This provides plenty of incentive to take a Warlord even in smaller games. ::):

Yes, this means you can play a 10,000 point game with just a single captain and no warlord.

I might own enough Dwarf models to actually pull this off... :devil:

Yes, this means you can play a 10,000 point game with just a single captain and no warlord.

I might own enough Dwarf models to actually pull this off... :devil:

I think there might be a height limit for games of that size. :upside: You'll just have to play with the Gnomes at the 5,000 point playground.