Sign in to follow this  
Fallen

New Warlord Rules Book!

Oh? The 1000 point Warlord requirement is gone? I'm SO glad to hear that.

Which is odd for me to say..since I LOVE fielding Varaug. :wub: But I know there are others who don't care for being forced to spend game points on any particular model.

*adds first pencil notation to beta rules printout*

Just like old times, aye? :lol:

(edit) D'OH! I found the errata page!

*adds more pencil notations*

I think the game as a whole is taking a huge step in the right direction with the streamlining and simplifications. It's like we get the best aspects of WL "Classic" mixed in with the best of the RAGE Chronicles stuff. The streamlined army-building rules and the new mechanism for magic users are like the cherry and candy sprinkles on top.

My eyes are failing me. I just hope that I don't need to paint more but can find someone to play with easily. I have up to 1450 points of Necropolis according to the '08 rules before any upgrade or spells. So, how many points shall I have now according to the 2nd edition?

First time poster and interested in Warlord...I recently bought the rules at the local shop and then several boxed sets. I later found out through discussion with the manager that while Warlord *was* very popular at their store it pretty much died when it seemed like every week there was a new change to the character cards. I found the web site and the new cards and they're profoundly different so I can see what he meant.

To Reaper...can we expect this sort of chaos with the new rules or do we have some sort of gentleman's agreement that the rules have been beaten and abused enough in play test that we won't be seeing major changes in six months to a year or so down range from when the rules are released?

I'd love to jumpstart interest in the game at the shop but right now the thought is once burned twice shy...

Thanks!

Kurt

To Reaper...can we expect this sort of chaos with the new rules or do we have some sort of gentleman's agreement that the rules have been beaten and abused enough in play test that we won't be seeing major changes in six months to a year or so down range from when the rules are released?

I have been following the discussion in the forum since the first edition came out. Yes, there were a lot of changes but usually for better than worse. Please remember. The basic mechanics remains the same. It is the spells, point cost, speciall abilities and equipment that were changed. It has been ?5 years before Reaper feel confident to make a 2nd edition. They actually did make a revision after the 1st but failed miseraby. I expect that there eventually be a few minor changes but I don't expect to see another major revision soon. It will be much clearer once the final rules become available.

@Kurt

One of the main reasons this version of the rules exists is because we wanted to prevent exactly what you are saying. Every year with Rage Chronicles the same stats got regenerated, and it wasn't fun for players or game makers. Now the book will solidify the stats, once it's printed it won't change.

There will probably still be random errata, but you'll never see something like a re-stating of the original 10 factions.

Okay I'll go ahead and throw mine in.

I used to really like Warlord but what turned me off was the almost constant updates and rule and SA and data card changes and blah blah blah. I don't think I ever saw any rules or data card versions I didn't like, just the fact they were always changing. At one point, when they gave all the models a lot more tracks, it even seemed like almost a different game. Not a bad game, but a different one.

Just give me a game to play and don't change it. Stubbs and I talked about it quite a bit, and the example that always came to my mind was Battletech. A friend and I used to play the hell out of BT back in high school, the old first edition box with the Warhammer on the cover. That's all we used, and to us that's all we needed. If someone had tried to change it on a regular basis we wouldn't have liked it and probably wouldn't have played it.

I did some play-testing with Stubbs a while back and what I saw was very good. I hope it hasn't changed too much because it was a lot of fun. I look forward to it.

Now the book will solidify the stats, once it's printed it won't change.

There will probably still be random errata, but you'll never see something like a re-stating of the original 10 factions.

With all due respect, this seems like wishful thinking to me. :rock: After the first book went to print in '04, did Reaper plan on doing a complete re-statting of factions and revision of the game in 2007, followed by another one in 2009? As more models/data cards and special abilities are added to the game, there will be a need for more revisions down the road to bring everything back in line.

Don't get me wrong, I thought RC '07 and '08 were fantastic and I'm excited about what 2nd Edition will bring; I just don't see how it's possible to ever create an absolutely perfect system that will never need another revision.

...As more models/data cards and special abilities are added to the game, there will be a need for more revisions down the road to bring everything back in line.

Don't get me wrong, I thought RC '07 and '08 were fantastic and I'm excited about what 2nd Edition will bring; I just don't see how it's possible to ever create an absolutely perfect system that will never need another revision.

That's a good point, to be sure. I think that new material doesn't fall under what you're saying, so I'll leave that out of consideration - I think that they probably plan on making this second edition thing a far larger effort than the yearly updates were. That way it can ride on its own merits for a while to come. Never any new revision? Might be reaching a bit. No more yearly content re-hashes? I think that's going to be accurate.

Those who have playtested say that this new edition feels like "classic" warlord (I like how you put that Spike), and that it runs pretty solidly. I think those are good signs for the game and for all of us as players.

After all, what is it we want in a game? We want it to be fun. We want it to be at once simple and complex - simple enough that you can toss the dice in a fun game while you shoot the breeze with your friends, and complex enough to have an afternoon's worth of sweating it out in a tournament. We want it to be balanced enough that nobody wins because of the models they took, but rather because of their cunning in placing and using those models. And finally, as has been said here and as has been voiced and felt all throughout the Warlord community, we want it to be what it is - to be stable and "expected" if you know what I mean by that... to be familiar. To be what it is so we can just play it and not have to think about if our favorite models will change dramatically next year.

I think we've had that for the most part, and I think we'll be getting it in full in second edition Warlord. This is the beginning of a new surge for Warlord. Get out and tell all your friends that Warlord is a solid investment again, and get ready to keep those d10's hot!

@Kurt

One of the main reasons this version of the rules exists is because we wanted to prevent exactly what you are saying. Every year with Rage Chronicles the same stats got regenerated, and it wasn't fun for players or game makers. Now the book will solidify the stats, once it's printed it won't change.

This is welcome news. I'm new to the game and bought a fair bit of stuff on sale and discovered that both rule books are different and the two Nefsokar books are different as well (one has stickers with different info and the other doesn't). If the rules and character/unit stats are stabilized it will go a long way to hopefully bringing back the players at the shop who walked away from the game.

Kurt

Now the book will solidify the stats, once it's printed it won't change.

With all due respect, this seems like wishful thinking to me. :rock: After the first book went to print in '04, did Reaper plan on doing a complete re-statting of factions and revision of the game in 2007, followed by another one in 2009? As more models/data cards and special abilities are added to the game, there will be a need for more revisions down the road to bring everything back in line.

I think the real question is in '04 did they plan to prevent it? No they didn't, but this book has been planned to prevent the scenarios that caused the constant revision. If we have learned from the past experiences then we have very much created a set of rules that doesn't need to change while the game grows.

It's with much confidence that I say, you won't see the stats touched or the basic rule book re-written for a long time.

On a side note: The number of revisions is greater than 2. The archers stats changed when we found them to be broken. We had the 1.1 changes which edited cavalry stats and a large number of other models. We had Rage Chronicles which re-wrote the entire rule book. Then we had RC08 which re-wrote all of the stat cards again.

The game was set to change again with RC09, so instead we opted to work towards a printable version that won't be changed every year. If we continue that trend then all the work will be for nothing, and the project should be considered a failure.

It is my full intention to never again change a single data card in this core rulebook. This is my first time finally being completely in charge of Warlord, and I hated all the frequency of the changes as much as all of you. This rulebook sticks a fork in Taltos and all the datacards of the Taltain Factions.

Later this year, we will produce an army book which moves out of Taltos to explore another area of Adon. That book will include the Bloodstone Gnomes, the Koborlas, and the Sisters, plus a number of brand new factions. So by the end of 2009, every current Rage Chronicles 2008 datacard will have a Warlord 2nd Edition datacard (no card left behind!).

I have a lot of big plans for this game I love so much, but the Army Book later this year is all I will talk about until I have more solidified products ready to discuss. ::):

Yes, this means you can play a 10,000 point game with just a single captain and no warlord.

I might own enough Dwarf models to actually pull this off... :devil:

Wild Bill :blues:

I think there might be a height limit for games of that size. :upside: You'll just have to play with the Gnomes at the 5,000 point playground.

Don't worry. I can chop you off at the knees and bring you to my level. :devil:

:lol:

Wild Bill :blues:

I'm hoping the Adept/Grunt business makes a graceful exit. If I play Dwarves, I only want to field Berserkers, lots of them!!

I bought both the books back in the day. I enjoyed the first edition but had my issues with it. It sounds like the third book may be the charm.

As wonderful as the internet is in sharing information, nothing beats a book. I hope CAV gets this treatment as well, as I don't want to have to search for army lists and data cards when I could be painting the models or pushing them.

I'm hoping the Adept/Grunt business makes a graceful exit. If I play Dwarves, I only want to field Berserkers, lots of them!!

It sure has and you certainly can field whatever you feel is cool . ::): Most things are just either leaders , soldiers , elites , monsters or solos , but you'll find out more . :ph34r: