Sign in to follow this  
Fallen

New Warlord Rules Book!

We really did look into allowing round bases in the game for Warlord 2, but the problem is that there is a definite advantage to being on a round base, and it would be unrealistic to expect all the existing warlord players to re-base hundreds of models, and it would be even more unrealistic to expect those same players to be OK with being at a distinct disadvantage and leave their models on square bases.

So if you showed up at a tourney, would would need to put your round based minis onto the proper square bases. I have seen this done locally a number of times by people simply using some poster putty (blue/green/yellow/orange sticky tac). Simply use a little piece of sticky stuff to slap a plastic base on each of your minis, and you're good to go. ::):

I was all "I hate square bases!" when the game first started. Now I don't even see them. Sure, I would like round better in a perfect world, but if that's my only problem with Warlord 2.0 I'm going to call it a win.

Maybe we could use octogonal bases. Very similar to round, and has a flat side where the square bases have flat sides.

What's the big deal with square bases? They work fine for me. I've never felt the need to regiment my army just because they're on square bases... when I do want a tight formation it doesn't exactly "help" but it's not a bad thing there either.

Is the argument that the corners are closer to an enemy model and that with a round base you don't have the corners sticking out?

Not getting the fuss at all.

The caster with winglock better do what he's gonna do on turn 1 . . .

Archers and casters also no longer have that 1/2 range vs. ariel targets nonsense in WL 2.0.

~v

Hi, I'm a new Warlord player myself. I've played a few other tabletop wargames, mostly made by games workshop, and I've always found the experience lacking. The matches always felt slow, tedious, and victory was more based on who bought the bigger mini and then got to use said mini first. Most of the time you knew who was going to win the battle 2 rounds in.

I always felt that tabletop wargames were just too slow to hold my interest and that if I wanted to ponder methodically over each move then Chess would be a better use of my time. I then discovered RTS's and later MMORPG's (Many Men Online Role Playing Girls?). I've easily spent as much on them as I ever did on tabletop and if given the choice I would always choose them over a tabletop game. . . until now.

This new version of Warlord is wheels off fun! Every match I've played so far with the new rules has been swift and really came down to the wire as to who was going to win. The surprise defeats and victories I've seen are truly epic. Tactics meant more than specific models, luck and skill were needed to carry the day for you. Even better was the ease by which this game could be learned. I showed up one night at a demo with my friend (he'd been talking it up for awhile) and within 15minutes I was playing. Not only was I playing but I was comfortably playing and I understood what meant what. I was instantly hooked.

Every faction I've tried has a distinct feel and flavor to it, even more incredible is that within this flavor are key ingredients that you can tweak to get a completely different experience. All told that means there's about what, 10-12 distinct factions each with the ability to "taste" dramatically different? That's beautiful. It really means that I have to be on my toes tactically, I can't just assume that because I'm playing against a faction that they will be defeated in the same manner as the last time. It's a good thing.

Obviously a lot of effort and care has been put into assembling this endeavor and it shows. I don't think anyone will be disappointed in this new version. Gus, Jason, and the rest really ahve done a fantastic job with this. ::D:

Is there a special ability or new rule that allows larger models to move past smaller ones? One of the few things that I don't like about Warlord 1E is that a Lion's Lancer or hill giant has to stop short in his tracks because he runs into a goblin. <_<

Is there a special ability or new rule that allows larger models to move past smaller ones? One of the few things that I don't like about Warlord 1E is that a Lion's Lancer or hill giant has to stop short in his tracks because he runs into a goblin. <_<

Yes and No.

If they can't just run through him/over him.

Larger models can now break base to base more easily from smaller models. Unless they are ganged up on, they can move away without a roll.

One MAJOR change that is being made for ALL Reaper RAGE games is that ALL FRIENDLY models may freely move thru other FRIENDLY models. So, that is not just a new Warlord thing, but is a new RAGE thing for all rage based games.

But, yes, a larger model still has to stop when it comes in contact with any base size enemy model. It just has a much easier time of breaking away from it afterwards.

Trample being added to the game? Good news if that's the case. I've always been a very vocal critic of the game, but not out of spite; I want the game to succeed as the range deserves it.

It appears that all the chat on this forum, and the playtesting of the Reaper folks and their team is coming to fruition.

As for the square bases thing, it's really more of an aesthetic thing first, as they don't look as good, and second, anyone watching a boxing match or a bunch of medieval reenactors can see that no fight is set up in squares on a grid. My intense loathing of a battle grid with five foot squares has infected my tabletop gaming, on a personal level. Thank you Hasbro.

It's not a make or break issue for me. I'll play whatever bases Reaper decides on, and if the game is as good as the talk around here, a little sticky tac and some square bases ain't no big thing. I've got bigger things to worry about.

I get your point.

But square bases still better for figures in formation.

Better for showing ranked, reach, lockshields, etc.

As for the square bases thing, it's really more of an aesthetic thing first, as they don't look as good, and second, anyone watching a boxing match or a bunch of medieval reenactors can see that no fight is set up in squares on a grid. My intense loathing of a battle grid with five foot squares has infected my tabletop gaming, on a personal level. Thank you Hasbro.

It's not a make or break issue for me. I'll play whatever bases Reaper decides on, and if the game is as good as the talk around here, a little sticky tac and some square bases ain't no big thing. I've got bigger things to worry about.

Square or rectangular bases have been an integral part of miniature wargames for as long as I have been involved (mid 70s). They offer clearly defined front, flank and rear positions and a uniform place to measure and determine arcs of fire from. So coming from the otherside of the fence I find square bases to quite easy to use and I'm not concerned with aesthetics when my dwarves are pounding orcs and goblins into so much paste. I find round bases somewhat frustrating to use when you need to determine exactly what direction a miniature is facing or determining arcs of fire. None of which are really a problem in Warlord 2.0. I only find round bases convienent for RPGs and for display miniatures.

I hope there is an easy way to let people use round bases. At my store Warmachine was the big thing for awhile. Now perhaps I can get them to try out Warlord with their miniatures, which might lead to sales. *ka-ching*. ::D:

Glad to hear about large troops being more worthy. Love my elf-army dragon miniature, but it kept dieing too fast (and not having Tactician and Spy like the other WLs was a big minus). ::(:

The caster with winglock better do what he's gonna do on turn 1 . . .

Archers and casters also no longer have that 1/2 range vs. ariel targets nonsense in WL 2.0.

~v

Which is why if we face off against each other next year, those Gargoyles of yours will resemble pin cushions. :poke: