DHL3340, Cassie

Sanael

This one's actually been done for a while now; she's seen about 3 sessions of game play.

Janissa is an artificer, a kind of uber-crafter of magic items...given that she also builds steam engines and clockwork whatsits, the Cassie figure was perfect.

I'm really happy with a lot of things on her...pushed myself a bit on this one. The brighter colors are unusual for me, and I'm really pleased with the teal. The bottles are a little small, so it's hard to see in the pics, but I went for a clear glass effect and it came out...OK. Not bad for a first try, anyway. Also, the freehanding is the most elaborate I've ever done; for those of you interested in anime, the design on her coat is taken from the Fullmetal Alchemist series (it's a human transmutation circle...appropriate, given the PC's interest in making golems). All this, plus lots of darklining, which is also unusual for me.

The odd little crossbow thingy is her "slagshot;" it's a superheated bolt-thrower of the PC's own design. I knew she'd be dropping it to move to melee a lot in combat, so I figured I'd make a marker for it. It's a fun little kitbash involving an Overlords crossbow, some steam elements from a Warmachine fig, and an aluminum chainmail link, all based on a penny. The circle on this one is also from FMA, a fire transmutation circle.

Oh, and the spidery-whatsit is a little clockwork spying-thing she made...think of it as a primitive familiar.

C&C welcome and appreciated.

post-3328-1242998202_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the kind words, folks. Warlady, glad to know someone out there appreciates those circles as more than just an attempt at freehand! FMA is a lot of fun, and it's really affected the flavor of Artificer magic in this game.

Great piece, Sanael! I really like the anime look and the colors you have chosen for her. The clear glass/liquid comes off effectively. The freehand is very well done and the highlighting on the hair is excellent. Critiques...I like the darklining you have done, but IMHO it is a bit heavy in spots, particularly the left wrist between the hand and sleeve, the right hand as it grasps the staff (pinkie finger side), and around the ring on her finger. I'd like to see it closer to the width of the line you did on the left sleeve between the gold trim and the blue fabric, which is spot on, I think.

I hope this helps!

Jabber

Jabber- Thanks much for that. You're essentially confirming some of my feelings on the lining, although my eye kept getting so caught up by the areas around her ring that I never noticed the heavy-handednes around the staff. As a first go at that much darklining, I'm happy enough with it, but it'll serve as a reminder to go easier on future pieces.

Thanks also for the kind words on her hair; the purple was really strange to work with for hair, so I've gone back and forth on how well I like it.

Awesome piece! I like the free hand on the back of her jacket thing. The "slagshot" is the best. ::D:

I play an Artificer too in my 4E game, and having some type of personalized crossbow is a must have. I named my repeating crossbow,with custom attached bayonet and iron stock, "Bessy". /sniff /sniff ... she's ..... so ...... beautiful.

One thing I would have had to add to her would have been the goggles. You can't have an Artificer without some evil genius/Cannith goggles.

Beowulf- I'm happy to share. Admittedly, I have to give most of the credit to Derek's recent Paladin (Shaedra, I think?); he posted a phenomenal explanation of his freehand process in that thread.

Essentially, the freehand on her coat is a three(ish) step process. After finishing the mini (except the freehand), I put a coat of sealer down. Then, I painted the entire design in dark liner; for this one I think I used brown liner (might have been grey, but brown is always the most likely suspect on my minis). I really loved the liners for this purpose, and wouldn't have liked using normal paint at all (and inks would be bad because I find they reactivate to easily). The parts I wanted to ultimately be gold, I painted with heavy, wide lines, and the parts I wanted to be only the color of the liner I kept fairly delicate. Then, I let that dry and went over the appropriate parts with the yellow paint.

Obviosly, I spent a lot of time determining how the circle would actually fold on the fabric. The sculpt actually gave me a problem at this point; one side of the coat is actually much wider from corner to corner than if it were an actual piece of fabric, split down the middle, so I had to figure out how to fudge drawing the circle to go all the way to the edges of the coat, but still appear circular. So the planning time was important.

The sealer coat was also a big deal; I actually erased and redrew the liner circle twice, and having the sealer "save point" was a lifesaver for that process.

Painting the gold color was also a pain; the liner goes down very smooth and draws very easily. The regular paint, however, did not. I had to thin it a lot to get it to flow, but since yellow is pretty transparent, thinning it so much meant I had to do several layers of those gold lines.

Hope this helps a bit; it was ultimately a really simple (though I wouldn't say easy) process.