Super Glue Question

Help! I can't get super glue to work!

Here is the mini: Maran the Elf Druid

Here is the story:

Okay, so I painted a mini for a friend of mine. He wasn't careful and accidently washed it. It got banged around pretty good to where the hand holding the sword is hanging by a thread...er...peweter...anyway, I went ahead and took the hand off. I decided to repaint it so I soaked the two peices (the sword hand and...everything else) in simple green for a while, stripping the paint. I washed them with a toothbrush and mild cleaning solution blah, blah, blah and now I am ready to re-prime and re-paint.

Here is the issue:

Before priming I filed down the hand and arm stump so they would fit back together nicely and look like nothing ever happened. When I put a little super glue (I am using standard stuff, don't know the name) on the hand and the stump and put them together, it wouldn't stick! Even after holding it for up to a minute it wouldn't stick. I know the glue is good because I almost glued my thumb to the base in the process.

I have used the same super glue to assemble other peices before, so how come this isn't working? Am I missing a step or something?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm the last person to give good advice because CA seems to hate me now.

One thing I have learned is that a bit of moisture is needed for the glue to set. If you're in a very dry environment that might be preventing the bond.

And it will bond your skin even if that's the case because that's what it is designed to do. The moisture in your skin is just enough to get the glue to set.

Breathing on one piece before setting it in place might be enough. I've had to resort to actually putting water on the spot before the glue will set.

Others who have a better relationship with CA will be along with their advice shortly.

Does sound like anything is wrong here except that I would rewash the piece one more time and really dry out the ends real well. I would also would strongly suggest pinning the two pieces together. The hand and sword will hold together better this way if the mini will be used for gaming.

That makes sense, I did dry it very well after washing them. I had no idea that a little moisture is the key. I will defenitely try that when I get home. Thanks!

I realized after posting my question that the other minis that I had assembled with super glue, were painted first, then assembled. I wonder if I should do the same with this one and treat it as if it was one that required assembly.

I have used the same super glue to assemble other peices before, so how come this isn't working? Am I missing a step or something?

I have had this happen to me occasionally. It seems like sometimes the first drop of glue out of the tube does not work for some reason. I just get a mess. I have to let it dry completely, clean the bonding site of all the old glue, and start again. Something about having old glue on the area makes it not work, too. So just clean it up and try again.

I realized after posting my question that the other minis that I had assembled with super glue, were painted first, then assembled. I wonder if I should do the same with this one and treat it as if it was one that required assembly.

If you paint first and then assemble, be sure to clean the mating areas of paint. Otherwise, you'll just be gluing paint to paint, and if the paint separates from the metal you'll need to repair again. Much better to glue metal to metal, and I too would go with Dargrin's suggestion of pinning.

-AW