Sign in to follow this  
ladystorm

Minis we would like to see (Fantasy version) Thread Seven

More bald women please. Or at least ones with short hair or hair that doesn't cascade onto their shoulders.

Now that I've gotten into doing more conversions, I like to do head swaps and stuff like that, and there aren't many female figures that don't have a lot of hair requiring removal from other parts of the body.

Magic users that are not holding weapons. Minimal on the staffs and wands, but I think it's more dramatic if a female sorceror is just standing with an outstretched finger rather than holding a sword that, chances are, she had no idea how to use because she relies on her magic ability.

DHL Bloodstone Gnomes, or even more Warlord character BSG's. Some adventuring, some just bein' evil lil' gits.

Classic style serpent people. Not the yuan-ti stylings with the lower snake bodies but like those from the old Robert E. Howard stories among other pulpy places.

Ever thought of coming out with easier, less saucy minis for the younger generation?

My son is 5, and loves to paint with me, but I struggle to find new, cool things for him to paint at my side (usually big chunky plaster things).

Could be an age group thing at the con. Suck them in while they are young. Before they can run. ::D:

Actually there are plenty of minis in the Reaper catalog already that will fit that bill. Just have a good time flipping through it. Most of the monsters are larger and a easier for kids to handle.

i would like to see some old fashioned dwarfs that you would find in ral partha catalogs, not the midget legged bulged ones we see everywhere today.

I'd like a dwarven blacksmith, please. Someone has to be making all those axes, right?

NON D&D anything!! Examples include "Sword and Sandal" styled models. Not every game is in a setting with the standard European backdrop. Conan, Fafhrd, Grey Mouser, come to mind.

If you are going European, plenty of WHFRP players out there could use some characters like rat catchers, nobles, explorers; pour on the gritty dark stuff.

Martian styled anything. I like Elves that could double as Martians.

Ever thought of coming out with easier, less saucy minis for the younger generation?

My son is 5, and loves to paint with me, but I struggle to find new, cool things for him to paint at my side (usually big chunky plaster things).

When I run paint and takes, I often get children attending. Usually, they're between 7 and 11, but I did have a 5 year old attend last time I ran one.

I find that boys tend to like painting zombies and heroes, and girls tend to like painting ... well, girls.

A lot of Garrity's earlier work with Reaper is pretty good - straightforward armour, not too many accessories, girls not showing off skin, flowy cloaks / skirts.

For male minis I would probably suggest: 02033, 02074 (he has a big sword), 02152, 2178, 02231

Female minis: 02047, 02075 (I had a young girl like her, because she comes with a cat), 02060, 02021, 02155

I couldn't find any of the zombies that the other kids have liked in the past, but I think pretty much any of them would work, because the kids get to use "gross colours" ^_^

As an aside, the 5 year old I had at the paint and take painted 2812: Kallista, The Warrior. He thought it was a guy, slapped the paint on pretty randomly, and he had a lot of fun with it.

I've found that most kids have plenty of fun if they're just participating, and if they "finish" a mini, they feel like they've achieved something really big (especially if they see a parent doing it all the time - and well, they have achieved something, it's not easy painting a mini).

Edited to add:

Something else I've found helps younger children with the minis is to glue it on to something large enough for them to hold in one hand. (makes it easier for us adults too!) A pop bottle lid is probably too small, but an old pill bottle or something would probably be just right.

Edited to add quotation for clarification, since the thread was merged.

Edited by Chastity