Sign in to follow this  
Qwyksilver

Elves

Here is a 1000 pt and 1500 pt list that I have been working on. Both seem to hit pretty hard and I am still tweeking them.

1000pt

Troop

Prince Danithal, Book of Tactics

Caerwynn, Magic Ranged Weapon

Lysette

Niriodel

2x Royal Guardsman

Vale Archers

Vale Warrior

Troop

Selwyn, Magic Ranged Weapon

Ellithin Greysteel, Ring of the Unicorn

Centaur Archer

Centaur Warrior

Royal Guardsman

Vale Archers

Vale Long Thorns

Vale Warrior

Troop

Treeman

1500pt

Troop

Caerwynn, Magic Ranged Weapon

Lysette

Niriodel

2x Royal Guardsman

Vale Archers

Vale Warrior

Troop

Selwyn, Magic Ranged Weapon

Centaur Warrior

Royal Guardsman

Vale Archers

Vale Long Thorns

2x Vale Warrior

Troop

Chiral

Aviriel Tellerion

Centaur Archer

3x Centaur Warrior

Troop

Silvermaine

2x Troop

Treeman

So I'm trying to make my buddy feel better about Elf Archers. I say, yes they are expensive, but with the rapid and indirect fire with an 18/24 range, and the fact that they can fire into melee without fear of DIS check they are the most versatile of archer units. He says that with having to subtract 1 RAV and give up an action limit the use of these two S.A's too greatly. He also feels that if they are supposed to be the best archers in the world, which the book does mention in fluff and in unit description, that they should have a higher RAV then 3. Is there anything else I can tell him? What I want to do is run a game in an open field and just watch as his archers pound me into the ground as I try to close on him. any thoughts woud be great.

Here is a 1000 pt and 1500 pt list that I have been working on. Both seem to hit pretty hard and I am still tweeking them.

1000pt

Troop

Caerwynn, Lesser Accuracy Weapon

Lysette

Niriodel

2x Royal Guardsman

Vale Archers

Vale Warrior

Troop

Selwyn, Lesser Accuracy Weapon

Centaur Archer

Centaur Warrior

Royal Guardsman

Vale Archers

Vale Long Thorns

Vale Warrior

2x Troop

Treeman

1500pt

Troop

Caerwynn, Lesser Accuracy Weapon

Lysette

Niriodel

2x Royal Guardsman

Vale Archers

Vale Warrior

Troop

Selwyn, Lesser Accuracy Weapon

Centaur Warrior

Royal Guardsman

Vale Archers

Vale Long Thorns

2x Vale Warrior

Troop

Chiral

Aviriel Tellerion

Centaur Archer

3x Centaur Warrior

Troop

Silvermaine

2x Troop

Treeman

What's this lesser accuracy weapon in your list?

I'd be interested to know too, since that first list is 1105 without any of the equipment... :unsure:

Base on the second list, they are probably both Magic Ranged Weapons (rather than Arrows of Seeking), as a pair of them make the 2nd list exactly 1500 points.

~v

So I'm trying to make my buddy feel better about Elf Archers. I say, yes they are expensive, but with the rapid and indirect fire with an 18/24 range, and the fact that they can fire into melee without fear of DIS check they are the most versatile of archer units. He says that with having to subtract 1 RAV and give up an action limit the use of these two S.A's too greatly. He also feels that if they are supposed to be the best archers in the world, which the book does mention in fluff and in unit description, that they should have a higher RAV then 3. Is there anything else I can tell him? What I want to do is run a game in an open field and just watch as his archers pound me into the ground as I try to close on him. any thoughts woud be great.

There is a long discussion about archers and their effectiveness here. There is lots of excellent advice on different ways to use archers effectively in that thread. It also addresses why the rank-and-file archers of every army don't have higher RAVs or cost less points (incidentally, the elven archers are not the only ones to be described as the "best in the world"; practically every faction lauds the performance of their archers in their description).

~v

The first thing that your buddy has to understand is that archers in Warlord are not like they are in many other games. They do not use string launched cruise missiles. Against something like a Goblin horde army, they should be able to mow them down. Against well armored soldiers and leaders, not nearly as well. Newer players tend to take lots of heavily armored models, so especially in early games archers seem to be fairly weak. Encourage him to learn to use the archer's SA's to their best advantage. Indirect shot is a huge asset, and if used creatively it can really affect a game. Archers also have to be viewed as support troops, not front line soldiers. They soften up the enemy and then pick off the wounded. Few archers in Warlord can stand up to a melee fight. Without protection, they will go down fast.

I think the best course of action is to keep using archers against him. If you use them correctly, your buddy will realize that they can be effective when well played. If not, there are other styles of play that don't rely on archers........

I'd be interested to know too, since that first list is 1105 without any of the equipment... unsure.gif

Base on the second list, they are probably both Magic Ranged Weapons (rather than Arrows of Seeking), as a pair of them make the 2nd list exactly 1500 points.

~v

yes, they should be Magic Ranged Weapons, the Lesser Ac Weapon is a hold over from the 1st Ed where you had greater and lesser weapons

There should be only 1 Treeman in the 1000 pt list. Typo from putting the lists in the posting.

Sorry for the confusion.

B

I played 3 1000 point games yesterday many good times. Heres what I learned a dragon is awesome and a treeman is also awesome AND a dragon and a treeman together is Sawesome (http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail204.html).

My favorite thing was to have peruhain cast a few divine vigors on either of them for an extra punch.

try it out youll love it.

"can you tell us about the battles"

I can try first heres my list for the first two battles

Argyrian

peruhain book of tactics

6 royal guard

Vale archer

2 Longthorns

Luckstone

Selwyn magic ranged weapon

5 Vale warriors

Vale archer

Unicorn

Mossbeard

1000 points even

The idea was to have the dragpn and the treeman knock out hard targets with solid enough troops to keep em covered.

I dont have details on the reptus list but its was somethng like this

Chai ut

pakpao

Nai kanan

4 warriors

Uru

uskuluz

4 trolls

3 warriors

krungbeast

I deploy with the dragon in flight central on my left selwyns troop, treeman on their left basically facing the trolls and krungbeast

unicorn in the center and royal guard and peruhain holding the right facing chai Uut's troop.

Turn One: I advance the unicorn behind a hill waiting for the right time to blink out and whack hopefully pak pao he rushes forward and I take a few inefective shots at warriors on the last card krungbeast wisely runs two the other side of the field away from mossy

Turn two: curses he gets the first card and tramples my royal guard with the krunger I escape only losing one royal and one spearman one rg is wounded but makes his tough check. Peruhain casts divine vigor on mossy who thens creams the krungbeast. Uskuluz casts incite and the trolls hit selwyns troop with a rush attack. I should point out now that D10 hate my friend. he bludgeons several warriors but I still manage to pull about even on damage given and taken in this exchange.

Pak pao moves up.

Turn three pak movesa up and fireballs my royal guards causing three wounds and setting them on fire the dragon lands and blasts the trolls with lightning

uskuluz casts mass cure and fails badly Uru chages the dragons causes two wounds and is killed. the trolls and vale warriors slug it out but selwyn keep my outmatched warriors in the game with her archery.

Turn four: the unicorn pops out and whacks pacpao dead

chai uuts troop charge my royal guard nai canan misses his charge and must wait chai uut and one warrior finish off the unicorn

the trool troop is now down to uzkuluz and two reptus warriors uskuluz kills a vale warrior but is shredded by mossy the reptus warriors get selwyn and my archer.

the dragon charges chai uut and a warrior kills the warrior and wounds chai uut is wounded in return the royal guard put out flames and fight nai canon (sp?) they are all dead but one who makes his tough check

Turn five: Mossy finishes the trolls troop off peruhain fails to heal the dragon who wounds and is wounded by chai uut

mossy comes towards the ramaining fighters but cant make contact Nai canon finishes the last royal guard chai uut rolls grandly and finishes the dragon in a heroic show of martial skill and determination but it taken down also they BOTH make their tough checks.

At this point we decided we needed another turn. he has chai uut and nai canon I have peruhain a long thorn a vale warrior the dragon and an undamaged mossy

Perhuain ises his last spell points to heal the dragon. Argyrian fights chai uut and kills him but is wounded again argh

Nai canon moves up and charges the dragon we fight Im wounded and fail my tough ARGGH!

We called it here cause an almost dead Nai canon is no match for a fresh Mossbeard.

WOW that was a long post I need a break, next up the necropolis

Here is a list I am thinking of trotting out and giving a whirl:

Elves - 1000 points

Troop 1

Larnach the Grey

Lysette

Vale Archer x 3

Hunting Cat

Luck Stone

Troop 2

Meridh

Vale Warrior x 2

Hunting Cat x 2

Troop 3

Meridh

Vale Warrior x 2

Hunting Cat x 2

Troop 4

Mossbeard the Treeman

Troop 5

Mossbeard the Treeman

Troop 6

Mossbeard the Treeman

Any list that includes a bunch of standard based soldiers that the Mossies can trample will be a fun list to play against with this. But, having said that, the one thing you have to really be careful about with putting all your "eggs" in that basket is that you have to minimize the opponents ability to swarm those Mossies. This is acheived one of two ways, first by using your models to block and shield the mossies as best as possible or the second is to take models that force the other player to take attention to them.

I think your first troop does a good job of forcing attention. Having to decide between fighting a mossy or traveling all the way across the board to deal with your casters and archers.

The second two troops dont do it quite as well, but I can tell your other two troops are light troops more there simply to take up space and make it to where you can field the other two trees.

Part of me would like to suggest in Troop 2, swap out one Warrior and the luckstone for a Swordman to be able to upgrade the leadership to Raynor and then slide Lysette to that troop to give you casting in both of the first two troops (plus the strength of Raynor). But, I also know how often that luckstone comes into play for me. So, that would be a tough choice.

Yeah, I can see what you mean. My only thought with the two "Meridh" troops is mainly using them as "Mopping up". Let the opposition get hurt by the Mossies or ranged/casters and then send in the grunts (paired with hunting cats) to disable and hopefully finish off the survivors. Or like you were saying, basically use them as road bumps to slow the opposition.

How about this list, Kyle?

Elves - 1000 points

Troop 1

Larnach the Grey

Caerwynn

Lysette

Vale Swordsman x 3

Hunting Cat

Troop 2

Meridh

Vale Swordsman x 5

Hunting Cat

Troop 3

Meridh

Vale Swordsman x 5

Hunting Cat

Troop 4

Mossbeard the Treeman

Troop 5

Mossbeard the Treeman

Troop 6

Mossbeard the Treeman

Luck Stone

Less archers, but Caerwynn is something to be feared, especially when back by Larnach and Lysette. The Swordsman have that Swift Attack quick strike ability to finish off wounded targets while only taking a single defensive strike in return. Total model count is 24, so that makes it a little harder for an opponent to bury you under numbers.

~v