Sign in to follow this  
paintminion

Mossbeard Treeman and Friends Diorama

Just found something, but need to see it in person. Hollow core tennis racket string that you could embed wire into... might be right for some dioramas, probably too big for others...

Excellent work!

For rope, try picture hanging wire...it's available in different diameters, and it's braided. It's only quirk is keeping short lengths from unraveling.

I'm a fly-tyer and to make flys you basically wrap various materials around a hook. You could make a very nice looking rope simply by wrapping a metal rod with an appropriately scaled string, keeping the cords in tight formation. You'd have to glue either end of the string or run then through a hole in the rod, but it would look real.

Andy

Places like Michaels and other florists carry wire for holding up flower arrangements, and what not. In addition to the normal, thick stuff I found packages of incredibly thin wire, which could easily be braided for use as in-scale rope. Some of these come in gauges as thin as any copper wire does, but it's steel as far as I can tell, and it feels somewhat stronger to me.

Also, a lot of the time people in our hobby discount the other related hobbies, such as shipbuilding and model railroading. A place that deals in model ships is going to have a lot of different kinds and sizes of model rope. I haven't yet seen anything stiff as you'd need it, but it's worth a look.

How about something like this.

Armor modelers have lots of stuff they use for tow cables. I've stripped wire and twisted them together, used picture hanging wire, etc. The only thing I couldn't use was real thread. Even when I coated it, I'd get straggly fuzz...didn't look right for steel cable but might work perfectly for rope (if you can get it stiff enough).

-AW

I'd have to see them in person, but they look rope-like. I'm going to check out The Last Square in Madison this weekend and see what they have. A big flea-ish trade day this weekend there, so not sure what we'll find.