Mike's 2000 pnt all-malvernis army...

Black Lightning 2

Hey Gang...

Now that the JoR2 and many of the new miniatures are out, I thought I'd share a quick 2000 point army I built for an upcoming League with you.

Now, what I wanted to do is, not only limit this army to 2000 points and presently released miniatures, but also to UCORs with affiliation ties with the Empire of Malvernis (excepting Infantry Weapons).  In a way, this is a faction specific army.

Here it is:

The Hand of Khardullis (1991 pnts):

CAV Section (1193 pnts):

Wight (Mark IV) 350 pnts

Assassin (Grundor House) 297 pnts

2x Thug (Grundor House) 2 x 273 = 546 pnts

Air Section (420 pnts):

4x Ghast (Mark IV) 4 x 105 = 420 pnts

Mech Infantry Section (378 pnts):

Hedgehog (Mark IV) 90 pnts

2x Reg Infantry w/ 2x AT-23 DFMs 2 x 104 = 208 pnts

Reg Infantry w/ 2x AA-52 DFMs 80 pnts

This army is very flexible possessing both strong Hard Target and Soft Target attack capabilities.  The unit itself is very fast on the table and can exploit weak flanks relatively quickly.

The CAV selections I made are based mostly on speed and cost effectiveness.  The Thugs are inexpensive answers to the SyRaM StarHawk V...  Possessing both Hard Target hitting power and Soft Target supression abilities.  The Wight is an obvious choice because of it's exceptional Hard target striking power.  The +3 ARM doesn't hurt either.  The Assassin is a perfect wingman to the Wight.  with their combined firepower, they should hold their own against any superiority design.

Although the Ghasts are the only gunship presently available to an All-Malvernis army, they don't disappoint.  At a mere 105 points, each are capable of striking at Infantry and Armor alike.  And at a 22MM speed, they provide an effective screen against threat Whisper and Ripper missiles.

Unfortunately, I had to exempt infantry weapons from this All-Malvernis army simply because no alternatives were available.  The 2 stands of AT-23 DFMs form a stiff Hard Target punch.  The AA-52s round out the section and save on points.  By staying close to their Hedgehog, they can perform headhunting duties, mopping up damaged opponents before they can repair and become a threat again.

Enjoy!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, that's a slick army. I 'm gonna use that as a model for some Malvernian pirate faction's I want to introduce to our campaign soon.

assassins are hellified wingmen for a wight, and a lot of guys sleep on that combo; though I would go with a pair of thugs for flexiblity. I was wondering about how you intergrate fire support, The Spector is a good Fire support CAV

<snip>

Where's all the Wraiths?

<snip>

Dang, I love Wraiths, too.  But, I have a need...  A need for speed!  :p

I do have one in my Hand of Khardullis 3000pnt army, though.

<snip>

I was wondering about how you intergrate fire support, The Spector is a good Fire support CAV.

<snip>

You know...  I used to swear by Specters...  But, with the Conqueror and Sovereign I just can't justify their 308 pnt cost.

If I don't get a 60" range with a +4 TL on my IFMs, then, I won't bother.  I'll just put the points into some hammers and weather out the opposition Fire Support as I close with the bad guys.

Outlaws.  They're a tad cheaper...  But, can get hosed down if their flank get's jeapordized. And, with their +3 TL, you'll want to stick 'em with an ESM unit to spot for 'em...  But, Mavlernis doesn't have any of those.

Mike, I like your army a lot. However, out of pesonal preference I'd probably have used a Butcher instead of one of the Thugs (I dislike duplicates in demo armies :o)).

As for Specters, they're respectable, although I agree the 60" range is a godsend, but let's not forget the Specter has a huge AoE. And if you remove the CL pod from three of them, they come in at a reasonable price.

And let's not forget the Revenant, when it's finally released :o)

Mike, I like your army a lot. However, out of pesonal preference I'd probably have used a Butcher instead of one of the Thugs (I dislike duplicates in demo armies :o)).

I LOVE Butcher.  Really, I do.  It's just that they cost so freaking much!  And, saddly, all they seem to do with any sort of consistency for me is die.

This is actually a competition army.  I'm playing in my friend's league with this army.  

And, I'm learning to really like Thugs, they're nice, cheap little hammers that can be a workhorse in your army.  Fast enough to exploit a flank and bust up on some hapless Mortar Infantry or a sassy ESM rig and tough enough to roll up on a StarHawk or Dictator.

I've run into power issues while using Thugs.  After a single point of damage, they no longer have enough power to move and fire all weapons.  It gives them a bit of character ^_^.  I also like the weapon selection, lots of versatility.

From an aesthetics point of view, I find that mixed sections of Thugs, Assassins, and Butchers look very cohesive together.