John King

fieldarchy

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is wonderful!

Would there be more pictures on your site?

I really like his expression and the lighting. The three cornered hat is really nicely done as well.

Is he standing on a wooden deck?

Beautiful!

-AW

Sure I will see if I can put up a rear shot of him later today. He was tricky to photograph since his shirt is white. I kept having problems with hot spots appearing.

As for my secret it is perseverance. I want to get better. I want learn how to do everything in regards to painting. I am also not afraid to ask for help and I've got 2 people that I really trust to give me good, honest critiques. They have helped me improve a lot. Also, I've spent a lot of time on competition entries and that has helped me sharpen my skill.

Otherwise, I make sure I have good quality products to work with. If you don't have a wet palette visit Dickblick.com and buy one! I use mine for everything except applying glazes/washes to things. It works wonders!

Wow Meg. I don't usual comment on to many of the minis here just cause I don't feel like I have anything worth saying. But I have really enjoyed seeing the last few you have posted here. The Dryad was amazing. I loved the sword in the water. Now this little guy just rocks. Well done. Makes me want to paint even more and get even better. I wish I had the "2 people" I know you have to bounce ideas off of! Fantastic work...

If anyone here ever needs someone to bounce ideas off of just let me know. I am happy to help. I prefer to give my critiques privately over email, the phone or face to face if you are local in Dallas TX.

It is important to have people you can trust to help you get better. And you also have to learn to take what others may say with a grain of salt. Getting feedback on pieces is very difficult because you feel like each piece is your baby. You've created it and you love it. Others may not though--that is the toughest thing about being an artist in my opinion. And let's face it, painting minis is an artform once you move away from the utilitarian aspect of gaming and start creating show pieces.