Shiny black background

Nanite

How would I setup a photobooth that produces results like this:

http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59397

I think the shiny black reflective floor, and the black background look amazing, but I'm perplexed. Any way I can think of doing it would catch reflections from my light sources though.

Help?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not muchof a photo guru, but Doug's suggestion is what I was thinking. The black looks too "clean" to be just an un-retouched lightbox background. And gloss like that would reflect soooo many other things while trying to snap the photo.

One thing makes me think that this is NOT Photoshop, and that is the way the reflected image actually differs from the model. There is a noticeably different angle of incidence in the reflected version. Otherwise the back end of the model would not meet the same part of the model's reflection. It's got to be sitting on something shiny to do that.

I'll try to set something up I think will work, but basically I'm imagining a surface of almost black smoked mirror or a thin sheet of clear glass laid over a black lint-free surface. The camera is probably shooting down at an angle of around 20 degrees or so. Rather than a light box, the photographer probably just darkened the rest of the room and used a single diffused spot light to light the model. The real key though is having a perfectly clean streak-free and lint-free surface.

That's what I was thinking, but was having trouble deciding whether or not the reflected image was different. This kind of reflection is possible, you just have to be at/above the critical angle for the camera. All that's left is to practice for yourself.

I think I got it!

glassdragon.jpg

The dragon isn't Reaper. It's just a plastic one from Micheal's, but you get the idea.

And here's how I did it..this time with the lights on.

glassdragonsetup.jpg

The glass surface is nothing but a foot stool upside-down with a piece of window glass laid over its feet. The backdrop is a Reaper army carrier. My "spotlight" was an ordinary US Army flashlight. All I did to take the pic was turn out the lights, spotlight the dragon from about 45* above and 45* to the right of the camera. This gives nice shadow and plenty of light without casting any shadow behind.

Ideally, a larger piece of glass would be better, as would a more matte backdrop, but I was in a pinch. :lol: