Savage North Expansion

Can we please keep this thread on topic ???

Take the book arguments somewhere else.

*Claps hands* Agreed.

I would love to see a good gnome or halfling faction. the dragon riders would be cool, and I think a number of people would buy into them. I mean, in what other game can you play as dragon riding halflings?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an elf player, and I'm sticking with my current ones. Based on what they took out, the wood elves will be quite similar to GWs--small animated trees (Saprolings) and various other woodland creatures (probably including the same centaurs, fairy, etc. present in the main elf list). I envisioned my list as much more "high elf"; I'm not interested in an elf list with even fewer elves in it.

Out of curiosity, who here currently plays the elves or dwarves, and plans on playing the new elves or dwarves? How would you expect them to be different?

I can only envision two possibilities for new Dwarves:

1) Essentially more of the same kind of models as the existing Dwarf faction. If it is like that, then I'll pass on buying anything new. I'll just proxy.

2) Since Razig's Revenge has pistols (and cannons), you could always go the gunpowder route with the Dwarves. Of course, this is really tricky to pull off without making everything "broken". Realistically, a cannon ball could take out multiple people in one shot. How do you translate that to Warlord without making it destroy a good chunk of your opponent's army in one shot? I know Warhammer uses cannons, but the scale is much different. People will have multiple blocks of 20+ model units roaming the battlefield. One of them getting nailed isn't nearly traumatic as having 4 or 5 guys out of your entire 20 man force getting the hammer. Depending on how it was done, I could see myself buying into this type of faction.

Wild Bill :blues:

I've been following this thread, and there have been several interesting comments and army ideas. Some I agreed with, some I didn't care for. I've started to make this post a couple times and then stopped myself, but it won't go away. I gotta get it out of my brain.......

Gus has busted his buns on Warlord 2. It has happened because of Gus. I've enen joked about calling it Warlord/G instead of Warlord/2. I don't remember all of the armies on the list, but I do know that the armies for the Savage North are already picked out. I am confident that they are good choices and that they will be playtested well before Gus will allow the expansion to come out. My guess is that it will be before Christmas, but that is literally just a guess. With that in mind, I can't see Gus and the "Official" team creating any new army lists for a while, no matter how cool they are. They arent going to have time. I'm not complaining, this is a good thing.

So here is my point. Gus got Warlord/2 up and running because he had the drive to do it and took a lot of time to make it happen. If anyone else has an army idea that they think is the ultimate addition to Warlord, they need to step up to the plate and make it happen. If someone can present a balanced, well thought out faction to Gus, I can't see why he wouldn't consider it. Razig started as a gimmik list that was put into Casket Works for a fun twist on the Warlord rules. People liked it enough that it became an official faction. Same for the Lupines and the Sisters. If all we do is spout off about what Gus and Reaper needs to do, we should plan on waiting patiently. If you present a solid list of data cards and fluff, your odds of starting a new faction for Warlord are probably pretty good. If somebody wants a Elemental faction, go for it. If you work hard on it you could create the newest faction for Warlord. Worst case, you could share the list with whoever is curious about it and they can play it for fun with their friends. Who knows, maybe Vince can drum up enough interest for the Penguin Invasion .pdf supplement.........

I'll shut up now..........

Castlebuilder is right. Gus does listen. I gave him a dwarf list idea and he kept it and a year later used it in the Skadi sublist. Granted every idea can't be used but it never hurts to ask. He has actually listened to my ideas more than I expected, because I'm just a player, not even a BL. So IMO Gus is very fair and has an open mind when it comes to the game.

On a lighter note, I think a whole faction could be derived from DKS's Halfling Dragon rider. Two great things that go great together. I'd like to see some baby dragons toast a few BSG's or roast a couple reptus.

The more halfing on the battlefield, the easier the battlefield is too walk on. The Reptus love halfling carpet, it reminds them of the swamp.

I would talk junk but I've never beaten your Reptus :down:

Out of curiosity, who here currently plays the elves or dwarves, and plans on playing the new elves or dwarves? How would you expect them to be different?

I play both... technically, three games a year each, maybe. But leaving that behind, I would both or either if they were different. I like all the models that got kicked out of the original faction the Satyrs and Fauns and Saprolings and Skadi. So, I'd buy some, or good hobbits or northern barbarians or highlanders or human pirates.

I would guess the new dwarfs were viking/Norse types given that its been rumored in the "new book thread" that Skadi and the Valkyries were cut from the original faction, and they are Viking inspired, which very cool. Maybe a few more giants and viking-esque clothing.

I already have enough Lupines to play 1000-1500, and I have about fifty halflings to proxy as BSG. So I'm looking forward to the expansion so I can buy more factions.

Well said Castlebuilder. Gus does deserve the props.

I think I'm approaching this thread as a fun mental exercise to fill the time between now and the release date, since there's not an awful lot to talk about without having the goods in hand, you know? I know there are people in the community who have the inside track and *could* give some definite information beyond what Reaper has chosen to disclose, and props to those people as well for not spilling beans that are not their beans to spill.

If the factions for Savage North are already decided upon (and gus says that book is going to be close on the heels of WL2 if I recall correctly) then there's no time to add more. No biggy, I'll still think about brand new ideas. Maybe after the Savage North there'll be a Sunny South or Wierd West or Exciting East or whatever other sort of book. I know there's a limit to how many factions a given game can hold without having to blatantly recycle ideas, but I think Warlord could hold a few more.

Castlebuilder, I am going to take your challenge to heart. My imagination is really running with the whole elemental army idea. I'll put some thought into it, come up with some general army characteristics, and send it along to Gus. Perhaps it'll make its way into a file folder and might get taken out at a later point, either for the army itself or as idea fodder for another project.

I want Vikings because I want to paint up a big, burly Viking chieftan with crumbs in his beard.

Valkyries, I want Valkyries..... ::D:

I agree with Castlebuilder. There was a lot of work in Warlord 2 from a lot of people, all trying to make an enjoyable game that is well balanced. I calculated over 600 hours of play testing (in just my group), who knows how many hours working out the points cost and programming those spread sheets, hours and hours reading all the emails and post to see what all of us wanted then trying to make it work, and that was for just the factions released in the book. NOW we start again for the next set, plus the challenge of making it balanced with what has been released before. Is it a lot of work, yes. Is it fun, yes. Is it frustrating, yes. Dose it take a lot of time to make it right, YES. The World of Warlord is a big place, it can grow. How big or how many factions? Who knows? I think it all depends on us the consumer. If we support and promote Warlord it can grow. Will it take time yes, because the people in control want a good game thats fun and balanced just like us.

I know the post that are sent in with ideas are read and are discussed. A couple I overheard being discussed. We play tested a lot of them. Some work, some were tried and couldn't make work withing the game, but we were not ignored. Im sure if we keep the ideas coming who knows how many factions we will end with. Ok, I'm getting off my soap box.

PS. I like this WOW better then the computer WOW! :upside: