Transferring Paint to Dropper Bottles

Aranan

So I attempted to transfer a pot of paint into one of the dropper bottles and had a bit of a mess on my hands. I tried to use an empty blister with the corner cut off as a funnel, but that didn't wind up working too well.

How do you guys manage it? I'm loving the dropper bottles because it's just so much easier to get consistent amounts of paint onto my palette so I want to transfer a decent chunk of my paints to the droppers...

[edit] I guess an alternate question would be how do you painters transfer paint from pots to the palette?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Wal-mart has a set of 4 white funnels for like $1.50 in the kitchen section. The smallest one fits inside the reaper bottles perfectly and I usually just put the setup inside a glass to stabilize it. I had every P3 paint minus the metals transfered over to reaper dropper bottles and even moved the labels over. I lost very little paint in the process. I only had one that I dorked up, and it was my own careless fault.

It is really quite easy... load the paint up into a 12 or 16 ml syringe with a large gauge needle and squirt it into the dropper bottle. Rinse the syringe and needle by loading and emptying water a couple of times; then go to the next paint pot.

You can get the syringe and needle at any farm supply store (such as Tractor Supply Company) for a couple of bucks. I suppose you could use a "human" syringe and needle from the drug store or use the syringe without a needle. but the large gauge needles for vacinating livestock will make things go a lot faster.

I'm with KatieG.

I transfered GW, Reaper Pro, and some WN inks all by just carefully pouring. I first gave the old container a good shaking up. If you're thinking about adding a drop or two of water (or other additive), now's the time to do it. Shake until your arm falls off.

After popping off the dropper bottle top, just touch the lip of the old container to the dropper bottle and slo-o-o-w-w-l-y pour. I found the best technique is to make the initial pour very slow and "thin". Once paint starts flowing nicely in, you can increase the pour speed. Yes, what's clinging to the walls of the old container is probably lost. I actually tried sopping with an old brush and jamming what I mopped up into the dropper bottle, but after 2-3 bottles I decided it wasn't worth it...and some of it was starting to skim over as I was scraping. I forgot which, but one brand actually holds more than what my droppers would so I ended up washing a lot of that down the sink.

If your paint is really thick and that first drop out looks like it will cover the whole opening of the dropper STOP! If that does cover the opening, and you continue to pour, you'll end up with a mess as paint won't wait for that blob to drop in, it'll just flow over the top. Thin the paint or use a funnel.

Drop in your agitator of choice (see paint bottle skulls thread), wipe the bottle clean, pop on the top, you're good to go.

Even with the slow pour, it's a pretty fast process and there's nothing to clean in between bottles...unless, of course, you've spilled ::D: .

-AW

Man, that's an awful lot to say about pouring paint from one bottle to another...I apologize!