03139: Shaelin, female bard

dks

Here is a figure that I finally finished yesterday, more than two years after I called it "done for now" and couldn't decide what freehand to paint on the tunic or cloak. (The "done for now" version won Best in Show at KublaCon that year.) A year ago, I touched up the eyes and added the freehand borders to the tunic. Yesterday, I spent the evening reworking the face and hair, punching up several other highlights, and finally adding some simple wavy-leafy freehand on the cloak. (The freehand relates to the forms of her cloak pins and the tunic border.)

post-2358-1246932275.jpg

post-2358-1246932285.jpg

post-2358-1246932291_thumb.jpg

I sculpted this figure, too. Shaelin was one of my characters in the RPGA's Living Greyhawk campaign (3rd edition D&D) for six years: a woodsy sort of bard, dabbling as a ranger and druid. The peregrine falcon is her familiar. The rune-covered black longsword and the blue ring are magic items from her adventures. She holds a "tater-bug"-backed soprano mandolin, just the right size to be cradled in one arm. I sculpted the left arm as bare and exposed so I could paint tattoos. I also kept the tunic and cloak fairly simple, so painters could add freehand without a lot of folds. Perhaps if I had made them more intricate, I wouldn't have been paralyzed over the freehand! :;):

Anyway, now that 4th edition D&D has rules for bards, I hope people will rediscover this figure, and come up with their own stories about the bird, the sword, and so on.

Comments or questions, fire away. I could go on and on -- you know gamers and their characters. ::D:

Derek

• Like 5

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! What an amazing sculpt and work of art painting it. The way the base pulls all the colors in is great as well. The freehand is awesome, the runes on the sword are my favorite by far. Fantastic work. Well deserved award. Truly remarkable piece.

:down: da*n here we go again just as I feel good about my progress. NOW let me get this straight, you won an award with the original, and you still couldn't leave it alone, you had to go and crush my spirits on top of it? ::D: Derek she is super I love her :wub: , similar to Beowulf that snapping you hear are my brushes. ::P:

:devil:

Derek -- As Mamageek said: we are so very fortunate to have you here. You continue to inspire again and again.

She is absolutely gorgeous. An amazing figure. And then there's your paint. So detailed. So natural. Well... you know all that. Suffice it to say I think she's super.

You absolutely remain one of my most admired artists. Thanks for sharing. ::):

Really really nice Derek. One thing I love about your style is how even with softness of you palletes they still come out crisp and distinct. The blue on the cloak is just enough. If you had done the whole thing in that blue it might have been overpowering to the rest of the muted tones. And needless to say I love the freehand, especially on the blade and her arm.

Did you bring up the hihglights on her skin too? I know you said you reworked the face in general, but in the after shots she seems to have a slight sheen of perspiration on her brow, cheekbones and bicep. It looks very realistic! How on earth do you bring the highlights up that far without going chalky and still keep them so tight?

Beautimus!

My favorite part of your post is the description of the character herself. I wish more sculptors would share stuff like this from time to time.

You are fortunate to be able to sculpt your own characters in greenstuff and have them cast!!

I always work backwards. I find the model, convert it to my tastes, paint it, and then create the roleplaying character around it. I can't imagine going back to creating the character first and then looking for the right model.

Cheers.

Waaah! I want to be able to paint like you do! What a *gorgeous* job - I especially love the way the swirly design of the tattoos and the freehand reinforce each other. Seeing your painted version has totally made me change my mind about this sculpt. I now have to go out and get her.