Sign in to follow this  
dks

03139: Shaelin, female bard

Thanks, everyone. Always glad to inspire, entertain, and give you cause to rethink your opinions of a figure. :;): Note that I did a tiny conversion at the front of her hair, by cutting the strands away from her forehead.

Good eye, Jen (Midnight Lurker): I did take the highlights up on her face and arm. I recently started looking more closely at real skin and how to depict it with paint. Whether it's perspiration, oil, or That Glow, there's usually a slight sheen, with bright and tight highlights. It's really dramatic on darker skin tones: the base color dominates but then it has these hot spots. I've started using this idea on my figures, especially my dark elf sorcerer last year, and I mentioned the idea when I replied to your request for Aged Pewter NMM. I wanted Shaelin to have a coppery-Latina skin tone -- that tone, plus the wavy hair and the somewhat rounded facial features, are characteristics of her ethnic group in the Greyhawk campaign. But I had lost most of the base color (Sandy Brown, now discontinued) from her face and hands, making the highlights too broad. To fix this, I glazed Sandy Brown back over most of the highlighted areas, and then reworked the highlights to tighter points, with Golden Highlight and Linen White. Work it up, glaze it back; work it up, glaze it back. I also added 2 or 3 more very thin layers of highlights on the arm, right over the tattoo work -- this helps the tattoo seem to be under the skin, not painted on.

Joshuaslater: I agree, it's much easier to build a character around a figure! But the sketch-to-sculpt direction was what inspired me to start sculpting several years ago. My first scratch-sculpt was a young dwarf wizard with muttonchop sideburns but no beard; I had sketched him and then I couldn't find a miniature to convert to match! And yes, I am very fortunate to be able to sculpt my own characters and then have Reaper produce them.

Derek

Comments or questions, fire away. I could go on and on -- you know gamers and their characters. ::D:

As a veteran of several RPGA "Living" campaigns myself, I understand. I have a shirt I bought a number of years back at a GenCon or an Origins show that says:

(on the front)

"Do NOT tell me about your character."

(on the back)

"Shut up and game."

You, sir, get a pass on that. The way you can sculpt and paint gives you every right to tell us all about your character. :;): Beautiful work, Derek.

~v

pardon me while I burn my brushes

Quoted for truth.

Damn, dks, that's some seriously amazing paint. I can't decide which part is my favorite.

Beautiful work! I have always especially admired good free-hand work, the cloak, the sword, the tats. That is one aspect of figure painting that I have just never seemed able to master on even the most basic level (all my attempts at free-hand designs on my figures look like paint splotches or childish scrawling... :down: )

For me this is your signature piece Derek. It showcases what you do very well as a designer and sculptor. Your painting is always great, but this piece has a nice plausibly simplistic character to it and the colour choices fit it perfectly. After having seen thsi a while bakc I have trouble imagining hte figure painted anyway else.

Check your pm box hippy.

sweet looking figure, Derek.

While I like the cloak, for some reason I don't care for it on this paint scheme. I'd like it better either 1 color or the front a color & rear a color. Still love all the details that you put on it. Love the falcon, where did you get that from?

RM

More thanks, everyone.

MikeD: Make friends with the Freehand. I wrote a bit about my approach to freehand in my Show-Off piece on Isabeau the paladin:

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?...&hl=isabeau

See my post #9, especially. Hope it helps!

Also, having a good brush is a big part of doing good freehand: it needs a sharp point but also enough capacity to keep the paint from drying out before you apply it to the figure. I use a #0 or #1 with pretty long bristles.

Haldir: Not liking the colors of the cloak is OK! ::): And the falcon is part of the stock figure. The original putty falcon that I sculpted, however, broke off and disappeared when the master mold was made.

Derek

MikeD: Make friends with the Freehand. I wrote a bit about my approach to freehand in my Show-Off piece on Isabeau the paladin:

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?...&hl=isabeau

See my post #9, especially. Hope it helps!

Its quite clear but as to whether I can do it...? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tips, though, I really need to give it another try and your method sounds more doable than what I have tried before.

Derek

like I said, I like the effect just not on this one for some reason. Hell it's one effect I'd like successfuly learn someday. I can blend like that with airbrush, just not with brush-painting.

you know I have this fig, but never noticed the bird on her shoulder, odd. ha ha

SIGIL (Tre'): Thanks for the kind words. Looking at the figure now, 3 years after I sculpted it, I see things that I could definitely sculpt better (hands, mandolin strings) -- and certainly faster -- but I'm still proud of it. I really wanted to get the figure sculpted and painted "right", since I had so many hours of fun playing this character in games with my friends. Still, I will be interested to see how other painters interpret her! Bards can cast the Disguise Self illusion spell, so even with the same character, the colors could be wildly different. :;):

Gowestover: I'm just glad to know that I can always get better, and that some of my new tricks are working. :;):

Derek

Heh heh I find myself cussing everytime I looka t pics of a figure after having sent it away to be cast. " I should have done that better! "

On this one the one and only thing that looks to be improved upon is the size fo the hands. Everything else is top knotch! Adn even the size of the hands can easily be blamed on the neccessity fro durability and castability. You know 3 years is a long life for a figure. If she is still selling then that is a testament to your ability. If she is not then that makes for a great excuse to scultp a newer version! :D

LOL! Giant hands contest! Derek's Shaelin vs. Tre's Thelgar... who will crush the other's skull like a puny walnut? :poke:

Nah, I kid - both seem pretty much in line with the rest of Reaper's minis to me, for what it's worth. I'm a huge fan of both you guys' sculpts.

Great painting, D - everyone's already said that, so I'll just add that her falcon looks just like the peregrines that've been nesting directly across the street from my office for the past couple of years.

Definitely looking forward to seeing your next piece!

Kang

SIGIL (Tre'): Thanks for the kind words. Looking at the figure now, 3 years after I sculpted it, I see things that I could definitely sculpt better (hands, mandolin strings) -- and certainly faster -- but I'm still proud of it.

As you should be! I always admire the subtleness of your work. The freehand, the expressiveness, the color palette... everything just works so nicely together.

I have to admit I'm a bit jealous of sculptor/painters. I've been searching for just the right mini for an RPG character, and haven't had much luck. Must be nice to create exactly what you need :rolleyes: