Sign in to follow this  
DocumentaryGirl

"How Did You Come Across Reaper Miniatures" Stories

I tripped and fell, causing a couple hundred dollars to fall out of my wallet and into their kickstarter.

I had a hundred dollar bill get sucked out of a car window while on the freeway once.

I tripped and fell, causing a couple hundred dollars to fall out of my wallet and into their kickstarter.

I had a hundred dollar bill get sucked out of a car window while on the freeway once.

O_O

O_O

That was pretty much my reaction. They guy driving insisted we stop and go look for it but it was just gone.

Hello, my name is Staszek. Some of you may remember me sitting next to you at Paint Club session in March.

I came across Reaper store in Denton when I started working with my current company in 2010. I was in Dallas for two weeks in December. At that time I was into MTG and Reaper hosted a late night booster draft. I was amazed with the minis and overlooked the paints for a while. Serious mistake, looking back :;): . I am based in Krakow, Poland and I can only visit Reaper location when on travel to my company headquarters. I enjoyed the paint club sessions and I'm looking forward to visiting you on my next Dallas trip.

I got into the miniature painting hobby around five years ago, when I bought White Dwarf magazine with their new starter box pre-release promo (a sprue with Ork Nob and SM Terminator). I got into the hobby with my son and was painting greenskins ever since.

• Like 2

I always wanted to get into mini painting, but all of my friends warned me away, with phrases like "money pit," "time sink," and "worse than heroin." I stuck mainly to video gaming, as this was also my day job (mainly pixel art) and I could write off a lot of purchases as work-related. A couple of years ago I got back into role-playing with a new group of friends. Some of them would bring minis to the table to base them, or tweak bits while we played. I still stayed away, as they put forth the same reasons.

Last July, one of those guys posted about the sheer insanity that was the Bones Kickstarter. I was instantly pulled in by the incredible sculpts and wildly varied designs (not to mention the value). Since then, I have fallen deep into the miniatures hole, getting into several company lines, and having a great time. I've realized, though it might look like a steep entry cost, the hobby gives you incredible value for money, and the time spent with my models is a wonderful respite from the rest of the day.

Thanks Reaper...you made me a junkie!

• Like 4

Just realized I haven't told my story here yet.

I entered the miniatures hobby in the late '70's, primarily through RPG playing, continued throughout the '80's to one degree or another, and for various reasons put the hobby away in the early '90's. (Boxed and kept everything though) So Reaper never even existed until about the time I left.

Fast forward to roughly 10 years ago or so, and I was wanting to get back into the mini hobby through wargaming this time. I revisited stores I hadn't been in for years and years, fully expecting the shelves and walls to be filled with Ral Partha and Grenadier miniatures just like they were when I left the hobby... Only to find those companies were long gone. Inconceivable!

It had always been a problem to find good looking and sizeable cavalry back in the day. So when I walked into a local GW and saw the Empire and Bretonian cavalry, I was hooked and drawn into the dreaded GW mindset. So much so, that when a cousin gave me several Reaper miniatures as a birthday present at the time, I asked if he wouldn't mind if I exchanged them for GW Bretonians.

I know. I know. I still bang my head against my painting desk whenever I think of that.

Anyway, during the time I was collecting a couple of GW armies, as well as a few from Mantic, I found I wanted to get back into painting character models usuable for RPG games. I remembered those Reaper minis I had received previously, and set out to find which local stores carried the best selection. Looked through their old selection of Casketworks, found Reapers online store and forums, and after a bit of lurking and much buying here I am. I was already a confirmed Reaperite long before the first Bones was a twinkle in ReaperBryans eye.

• Like 2

Hey guys: new to the forum, although ive been lurking in the background for about 2 months.

My story is pretty simple. 10 years of no d&d, and i happened to roll into a group of friends who play pathfinder. I say i used to be a dm, and they all ask me to throw together a session. I dust off my old players handbook, find the monster manual, make a map of my world and here we go....2nd edition for the win. All of my supplementary materials had been scattered to the wind over the years, among players or other dms who borrowed them...including about 2/3 of my minis.

It got to a point in our sessions where the party was defending a small fort against a veritable horde of goblins. I needed to find a substitue, fast, or i wouldnt have been able to properly adjudicate the game. I was on some random google-provided gaming forum, about to click over to a pdf where i could print out paper markers. And someone had a link to the reapermini goblin, pack of 6 for 4 bucks (or something lkke that)? WHAAAAA?

I bought a bunch, and just about every 2 weeks for the past 2 months have spent another 20 bucks on minis to spice up my table. The wife is sick of watching me paint, but let me tell you i am in love with the bones. Slap a sickly brown base coat of acryllic paint on them, and blam....you can turn those plastics into the best minis youve ever had pass before your brush, for a quarter of the price (or less).

Unfortunately i was a few weeks late to learn of the kickstarter. So im buying them one-off, a few at athe time, eagerly anticipating the release of more on reapermini.com.

Love it here, guys, keep up the good work.

• Like 7

I painted a few of my friends Descent miniatures a few years back (with no idea what I was doing, (I used un-thinned craft-store acrylics THE HORROR!!)) and recently figured I needed another hobby, and decided to get back into it, lots of internet research and led me to ReaperMini.com Loads of good information in "The Craft" section, and here in the forums... I've lurked for a month or so, and now that I'm actually using Reaper MSP and painting Bones I decided to introduce myself.

Hi, I'm Malynor :)

Years ago, when I was very young man, I was quite poor. My D&D/DM career began at 8 when I found a copy of the dungeon master's rulebook from one of the redboxes on the side of the road.(I still run basic d&D out that) I would go down to the local comic /game shop. I rarely could afford comics but I could snag a copy of casketworks... I fell in love with art in margins(a major factor of why I am a freelance artist now), the amazing minis and CAV. My first mini was Elladan, Elf. To this day he is my fav PC..

• Like 2

Used to play D&D and other RPGs without minis back in the 80's and early 90's. Quit playing when my group went out separate ways after high school. For some reason, in 2011, I got the idea in my head to go see what the new version of D&D looks like. Looking for local groups to play with, it didn't take long for me to abandon D&D 4th edition and get into Pathfinder.

Since using minis and a grid map is the standard these days, I needed figures for my characters. Since I magnetically repel artistic talent, I looked mostly for prepainted plastic ones (mostly from the D&D Miniatures game). But in some cases, I ended up buying metal minis that looked more like what I had in mind for specific characters and monsters, which ended up mostly being Reaper. A friend painted one for me, but I mostly use them unpainted for now.

Then someone on a Pathfinder discussion forum posted a link to the Bones kickstarter, and I decided to jump in. I also decided I wouldn't buy any more minis until I after I received those, which I actually stuck with, and my wallet breathed a sigh of relief. Now that I have them, I bought the first two Reaper Learn to Paint Kits, and I'm learning on those before diving into ruining... errr, painting... the box of Bones.

• Like 1

The Bones kickstarter was my first introduction to Reaper. I think it was Penny Arcade that lead me to it. I've always loved minis, but stayed away because I wasn't sure I could paint them or afford them. A friend gave my buddies and I an introductory lesson on mini painting last October and introduced us to 40k. Now I'm completely hooked on minis and absolutely love Reaper.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this