"How Did You Come Across Reaper Miniatures" Stories

It was partially an accident and partially DUHEngineering's fault. I have been in Military miniatures for 25+ years and up until the last year have never heard of Reaper Miniatures. I was on eBay looking at DUHEngineering's Battle Tech miniatures and he had slipped a hand full of CAV in the listing. They looked more like fighting machines than Battle Tech. If I recall correctly I asked DUH if their scale would fit with BT but I would just have to figure out a rule concerning a Gatling Gun. He mentioned BT had an updated rules set covering RACs (Rotary Auto Cannons). Once I received the CAVs I decided then and there not to add to BT but go with a CAV world. The larger size and more/better detail sealed it. In a short period of time my army is nearing 300 CAV. Spaztica posted some he painted for me in Show off and the ones I am painting will show up there also.

• Like 3

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Short version: Either a friend of mine or my husband introduced me to the Bones Kickstarter. The value combined with the sheer mass of minis washed over me like a tsunami, leaving me little choice but to tell Reaper "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!" as I hurled bills at the screen (account may be slightly exaggerated). It was only after watching both the pledged amount and the number of minis added to the Vampire level skyrocket that I decided to look more into this company. Anticipation and wanting to learn more about painting the horde of Bonesium that will be arriving at our door led me here. :)

Long version: I grew up with fairly conservative parents, who loved me and taught me about the ways of the world and the evils of roleplaying games. Enter the man who became my husband. After dating for awhile, I learned that not only he, but his whole family game; this was concerning to me, and I had a talk with him (that we both look back on now and laugh about) about how concerned I was about this.

It didn't take him long after we were married to "corrupt" me, as it were. I was so timid about playing that I agreed to play only if I could play a cleric, since it sounded like the most "good" class there was (that lasted for all of one campaign; I decided to try out a rogue next and have stuck with them ever since :D ). By the third session, I was drawing minis for each of our characters on small pieces of cardboard, which we later laminated. I later made a bunch more cardboard squares of different sizes which I color-coded and numbered, which we use for monsters.

I'd considered getting real minis before, but kept running into the price issue, cuz metal just isn't that cheap when you're looking to get PC and many different monster minis all at once. I got my first "real" mini as an apology present from a DM for being a jerk (long story), a metal http://paizo.com/products/btpy8ofo?Pathfinder-Miniatures-Trinia-Sabor'>Trina Sabor. She sat on my desk for a long time, since I really didn't know what to do with her. I still haven't even attached her to her base, let alone paint her.

Fast-forward to the hearing about the Bones Kickstarter. I'm now among those eagerly awaiting their Bones KS delivery so that the joys of painting miniatures can commence. I'd buy a LTPK, but just can't quite justify the cost with minis and paints already on their way.

So glad I've found such an awesome, helpful and supportive community here on the forums, and I'm looking forward to joining the ranks of other miniature painters out there!

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 5

For those of you who have read "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" by Laura Numeroff you'll get it, If not pardon my odd style.

If you invite a Ludo to play D&D, he'll want to have a mini that looks like his Minotaur paladin.

If he buys 02263: Trezzna, he'll want to paint it.

If he paints it, he'll want to have with armor, a shield, and a flail just like his character.

If he buys 03503: Tarsus, Minotaur Adventurer and paints it, he'll want all his gaming group to have fitting figures.

If his group has proper figures, he'll want some painted goblins to fight.

If he buys a how to paint kit of goblins, he'll want to learn how to paint as well as the pictures.

If he starts talking about painting, he'll learn that one of his friends used to work for Reaper, and he'll tell Ludo about ReaperCon.

If he goes to ReaperCon, meets the nicest people ever, takes classes, and plays a Warlord dungeon crawl, he'll want to paint monsters and build terrain.

If he starts building terrain and hanging out at his FLGS he'll start playing table top games.

If he start playing table top games people will ask how he builds all the cool terrain and he'll start a blog.

If he starts a blog, he'll want to get better at painting so he'll grab a friend and go to another ReaperCon.

If he takes his friend to ReaperCon, he'll learn to play CAV and get better at painting.

If he gets better at painting, he'll be confident enough to teach people at his FLGS to paint.

If they find they love painting too, Ludo will be happy.

• Like 15

Ludo, that was awesome, and deserves an internet. :)

I hope that someday my own "If you give a OneBoot a Bones mini" story will include Reapercon! That's cool that someone you know used to work for them.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

I had been painting for about 8 months or so and I did up a Female Pirate Cat from Dark Sword and posted her on my blog. She was adorable and a bunch of my wargamer friends challenged me to paint up a female pirate for them. So I did up one of the female pirates from Dark Sword. Then someone asked me if I would paint up a crew of female pirates. I had no idea where to look and these guys, being wargamers sent me to Black Scorpion. Well those females were hideous. Somehow I found my way onto the Reaper site on my own and found Patrick Keith. Oh and they were gorgeous. I painted three of them and my painting ability increased immediately. I had figures that just felt "right" to me. Now I'm Reaperized.

Now here's the sad part of my story. When the BONES Kickstarter came out, I was dead broke. I mean seriously broke as in we could only afford to eat one meal a day and that was usually a peanut butter sandwich or on a good day a can of those spaghetti rings. That has now passed however and I'm waiting for the BONES to come out in the retail store so I can buy the ones I want. I did get some from a wargamer in England as she sent them to me. She's just fabulous and I'm happily painting those up now.

• Like 5

I started painting a few years before Reaper was around. I started out putting paint on my Monster in my Pockets, then later I got some Citadel and Ral Partha minis (I started playing D&D and Space Crusade).

My first Reaper mini was sometime in the late '90s with Gauth- because I just couldn't resist a great big dragon like that. I thought it was cool that he came with a statline for using him in Dark Heaven.

It took a little while before I painted him up. Long before any Bones minis were available, I already had a healthy backlog of Reaper minis to paint (I've done tons for RPGs, and a good number just 'cause they look so cool).

• Like 2

I've been painting and collecting minis and playing RPGs since the early 80's. I lived in the small town of El Campo, TX (about an hour from Houston.) I would make monthly trips into Houston to pick up comics at Bedrock Comics (really cool shop if you're ever in the Houston area) and then shoot across to Nan's Games and Comics off of the highway to peruse minis and games. They had a habit of stocking stuff that was way out of production and I was always hoping to run across some Dragonlance minis which I'd never picked up (I'm still hunting for those, by the way.) Anyway, I guess it was around the mid-90's that I saw some Reaper minis in their store. I'd never heard of them, but the price was so inexpensive and they looked so cool that I picked up a handful and painted them all that weekend. I've been hooked ever since.

• Like 1

I found Dark Heaven minis at a store called Hobby Bunker in Malden, MA and started collecting. I started with female ones and expanded as I matured; now I have a bunch. I've only used them once or twice but still enjoy playing with them; I quite enjoy the Chronoscope line.

Though come to think of it, a friend of mine now uses his newly-acquired Bones to run PFS and Encounters for us.

Neither of us have painted our minis. I know I don't care enough to - I'm happy just to play with them!

• Like 2

I think I ended up buying Reaper as a result of hearing that the old, old Pro Paints were a lot like Partha Paints. I'd used Partha and Citadel on my tiny GW collection and usually vastly preferred the Parthas, with their nice matte finish and tendency to sit flat.

And then at some point... probably immediately... I discovered Reaper's massive range of fun fantasy character models at half or less GW in Australia prices. This would be from the old Milsims paper catalogue from the 90's.

At some point not so long after it went up I found the Reaper online catalogue WITH ACTUAL PICTURES. Not long after the forums opened I found them too. Been here ever since.

Since the Bones Kickstarter... and I haven't got the package yet... I have bought and painted more monster and minion type minis than my entire previous miniatures career.

EDIT: honourable mention must go to M.E.R.P for providing a simple way to play RPGs without invoking the dread name of DnD in the late 80's, and Legions of Steel for showing me that tactical games can be fun, without being clunky, drawn-out and stupid (WH40K I am looking at you).

Edited by smokingwreckage
  • Like 1

I originally discovered Reaper back in the late 90s, apparently, since I have a bunch of figs from then, still in the blisters. I was playing a number of miniatures games then (Clan War, Chronopia, VOID, Bloodbowl and Chainmail) so I'm not sure which game I was planning to use them as proxies for, or if I was planning to use them for some D&D campaign or another, who knows. (Note: 1999-2000 was also when I was developing type 2 diabetes, which apparently affected my short term to long term memory transfer process, as I have massive holes in my memory from that time frame...).

Shortly after that I packed up my miniatures and moved into my first house, and my minis stayed packed for most of a decade.

The first time I blew out my back I decided to get back into painting, and finish up some of my half finished stuff. A little while later I was planning to start running Frandor's Keep for the new version of Hackmaster. For one of the big areas I knew I was going to need whole mess of weasels. Searching the internet for weasel miniatures I found the Reaper site. I ordered some familiars, as well as Meridh, Elven Sergeant, who, with the weapons sprue from P06143, became my Khopesh wielding Battlemind in our D&D 4 campaign that I still use today, 3 years later.

But that was it with Reaper until 2 years later, when someone (I can't remember who now) told me about the Reaper Kickstarter.

And that was the day I learned that you could get miniatures on Kickstarter, and then end of my ever having spare cash....