Sign in to follow this  
DocumentaryGirl

"How Did You Come Across Reaper Miniatures" Stories

Was it one of the versions of Cleo, Weretigress?

2575 version from 2002 or 2140 version from several years earlier

There is an actual Cheetah girl, but she wasn't released until 2005.

It was the 02140 version. Unfortunately, due to the negative sentiment that model holds, it has been relinquished to the metal trade-in bag.

I have to admit, I looked for the model after your post too...

I'd considered doing it myself but I figured a couple of you nice gentlemen would do it for me. I was not disapointed, lol. :B):

Wargamer since '74. Role playing gamer since '76. Dungeon Master since two weeks after my first game.

I was the youngest of the group - but our then DM... was horrible - essentially running a game for his best friend and letting him Charm Person the party and run everybody's characters. After the second week of that we gave both of them the boot.

I was the only one interested in running a game, so I took over.

The first miniatures that I ever painted were Minifig Prussians. They were terrible miniatures, but that was okay - I was a terrible painter.

With fantasy roleplaying came fantasy miniatures - Grenadier, Heritage (some very early Reaper were old Heritage molds), Superior, Minifig, Archive, Dragon's Tooth (still some of the best giants ever), Citadel, and my favorite - Ral Partha. To this day the Ral Partha orcs and 'great goblins' are how I picture orcs.

Does anybody else remember miniatures by subscription? There were two companies that went that route - one was, I think, Archive, but I could be wrong. The other was Grenadier with their three series of Dragon of the Month and their Giant's Club series. I still have some of those figures.

Reaper happened many years later - when Chessex had miniatures from a new line called 'Dark Heaven' listed in their mailer, with a nice big box as a starter assortment. Stan, the person that owned and ran Gamescape in Portland, Maine, Bill, a friend of both of us, and myself decided to split that assortment box, and then Stan would decide whether or not to stock the line. (Stan pretty much owned the store to feed his own habit - which was 15mm ACW.)

Two of my favorite sculptors had made models for the new line - Julie Guthrie and Sandra Garrity. Back in those days I could look at a mini and tell you who had sculpted it.

Been buying Reaper ever since.

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

I played fantasy miniatures before RPGs came out. I did historicals, too, to get along with other people long enough to talk them into playing fantasy battles using one rule system or another. In those days, most minis came in packs of several minis, often fours or fives. I had several armies worth of minis of various sorts (and still have.) I store them in boxes inside bushel boxes in my closet.

Once I started playing RPGs in the 70s, I had enough minis that were appropriate for the game that I didn't really need to buy much. But I bought some monsters (a few hundred) once I started running my own campaign to fill out what I had.

Somewhere in the mid-80s I looked in my closet after a con where I'd just cleaned out some dealer's "buy them before I toss them" box. I had two boxes and then some of minis I hadn't even opened, never mind painted. I thought, "I've got to stop doing this!"

So, except for the occasional one-off, I stopped buying minis.

Fast forward to just a few years ago. My wife has started playing RPGs (thanks to my teen-age daughters, she wanted to "share their interests".) She and I met while in armor in the SCA, by the way. She had a female warrior character, and I'd heard her commenting on minis that had women without proper armor on. I didn't have much in the way of female warriors in my collection.

So I went to our (now gone) FLGS and asked the owner if there was anything he knew of. He opened up a Reaper catalog. I was surprised by the choices I had, and finally picked out Samantha of the Blade. I painted her up, and gave her to my wife as a surprise. She was overjoyed, and doesn't even mind that she's not wearing a helm since she likes the color I got to her hair, it matched her mental image of her character exactly.

Since then, I've been regularly buying Reaper whenever I don't have 20 of something already on hand. ;)

And yeah, I did get in on the Kickstarter. I'm going to set up his and hers mini painting stations in the living room over the next month or so to prepare for my new minis. My wife has gotten interested in minis, though she has no confidence in her own ability to paint them. We'll fix that. :)

• Like 2

Reaper Miniatures snuck up on me.

I heard about them through their Kickstarter, although I can't remember exactly where - maybe Penny Arcade, maybe Gnome Stew, maybe even just wandering through Kickstarter itself. I did have a few miniatures in early adolescence - castoffs from an older gamer friend - but I had never collected them, let alone painted them. I had recently purchased Castle Ravenloft and loved the miniatures that came with that, so I was primed. But the feeling when I gazed on the incredible collection they were offering - ! I suddenly realized that, not only did I really, really want them, but that I had always wanted them but never admitted it to myself. The experience was deeply silly, but very satisfying.

I am looking forward to starting my brand new hobby with my 6-year old son in about a month!

• Like 4

I suddenly realized that, not only did I really, really want them, but that I had always wanted them but never admitted it to myself. The experience was deeply silly, but very satisfying.

I felt the same way about fashion dolls. I felt silly to myself, admitting that I wanted them, and then sillier that I hadn't when I finally did, because now my hubby teases me about it (because he has like, a bizillion toys).

Anyway, my first ever mini was probably about 10 years ago. One of my brother's friend's was going to show us how to play D&D, because he wanted to DM. So I made a druid character, went to the FLGS, and found a neat mini for her. This one: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/druid/z-a/03094

But painting her seemed really intimidating, cause oh gosh those are small! But that D&D game never went anywhere, and I never really learned to play.

Fast forward to moving in with my now-hubby. He had a big blue box sitting in the kitchen. At the time it was the big blue box of mystery (and toe stubbing). One day I was bored, so I asked him what was in it, and when he told me it was full of D&D books, I asked if I could look at them. He seemed rather taken aback, or unsure. So we started playing D&D, and we started collecting the plastic ones put out by WotC.

But WotC didn't have a female giant of the right size for a character I made (their lady storm giant was too big), So I went to the FLGS and got Frulla http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/female%20giant/z-a/02622 who was the right size, if rather too scantily clad.

From there I started buying more and more minis, actually painting them, getting better tools, modifying them, and so forth. Most of my minis (aside from the 200+ WotC plastic minis) are Reaper. I have a few from Mega Minis, a few old ones I found online, and a few that I inherited from my hubby which seem to be old metal GW minis. But my favorite by far are Reaper, so much variety, so much coolness. Too little money :down:

• Like 1

Weird thing is, I'm completely new here, and unsure on how I found you guys. I am pretty sure I stumbled upon the kickstarter, possibly from the GIATP-forums, and searched for the website after drooling at the minis and the prices. The fact that you sell fantasy minis at allright prices is pretty much what led me to painting! :)

• Like 1

I had always seen them in the hobby stores I frequent, but having no real talent or prior knowledge on painting them I had never really considered buying them. Then I stumbled on the kickstarter through the Paizo Pathfinder forums...and am now looking forward to trying to learn. ::D:

• Like 1

Hmmm... it's been a long time...

I seem to recall that I first found Reaper when I was trying to find more of the Heritage line that became part of Reapers Dungeon Dwellers. Add in that I was heavily into D&D miniatures and many times wanted something that ended up not being in the Grenadier lines.

Bought more and more from Reaper as the months went on and got a chance to talk to some of the principals like Ed and Ron at some conventions and over the phone. Great group of people! When I finally got the courage up to ask them about painting and the show pieces they had, it turned out my painting skills were already strong and just needed some direction and refining. After being encouraged or my begging (I don't remember exactly which one) I provided some sample work to Reaper and for a while (until other parts of life dragged me away) was painting some pieces I believe are still around in their collection.

If it wasn't for Reaper, I doubt I'd have worked on my painting skills as much nor would I have as many painted and unpainted figures as I do today :)

Kevin

• Like 1

Been painting miniatures in 1/35 and 1/72 since I was about 8. My mum got me an Advanced Space Crusade box set when I was about 12 (good grief, how long ago...1990?), which in turn got me into GWs output before it became more money-grubbing than some banks. Was running RPGs for a while using my IG models and SMurfs as counters. Then I heard, after about 10-15 years of being a GW slave, about several other companies, Reaper included, who did minis significantly cheaper and/or better than GW did. I checked them out and was blown away. Which was a bad thing, since I couldn't afford models at that point. Then I heard they went under (from where I don't know) and lamented the loss, since I lusted after several of their sculpts and had gotten a decent job. I finally managed to jump on the bandwagon with the Kickstarter, though, so all's well that ends well.

• Like 1

Heard about DnD in my wee youth after coming across ADnD's Oriental Adventures and Castle Ravenloft guide. It intrigued me, but with no one to play with it fell by the wayside. Fast forward to college in the middle of nowhere and the start of a role playing club, and I was hooked. The minis intrigued me, but being a thrifty (or cheap) fellow, I refused to buy them in small packs at great expense, opting for the occasional lot sale of minis off of ebay.

Fast forward a few more years into a gaming group doing Kingmaker. Minis came up, and the Bones Kickstarter seemed like a great deal. So, Kickstarter brought me here. Still looking forward to recieving my order of minis.

Not sure when exactly I cam across Reaper miniatures. I've been playing D&D or AD&D since the redbox first came out. Painted a few minis back in the 80's but never had time to really pursue it. We always had character figures. I'm sure we had some of their figures back in the 90's. Most of those were lost at some point.

I may have some of the pewter castings, I'd have to look but I collected pewter & crystal figures long before I ever stated using miniatures for D&D.

30 years later, although the group has changed a few times over the years, and there have been a few breaks. We still run a 10 - 11 hour game session every other weekend with a couple of the same people I played with in high school.

When we started the group back up 7 years ago and started looking at figures again, Reaper & Darksword were the dominate brands of figures carries at our FLGS. I started painting a year ago when I promised the 2 friends we play with that I would do a custom figure for them for christmas. (They still havn't told me how they want the figures painted. lol)

With the arrival of Bones it will be the first time we will start using monsters.

Never played any games.....in fact never even heard of D&D or any games for that matter until I started messing with minis. I've always been a gamer (video gamer). Years ago when Doom 3 was selling preorders, I got a cool pewter Mancubus with my preorder. I had a friend that preordered from a different place and got a Pinky Demon. I started looking around to try and get one of those also. Found out online that they were made by a place called Reaper Miniatures and they made just about every creature that appeared in the Doom games. Then I found out they didn't make them anymore.... Started searching ebay....and spent quite a bit, but aquired most of the set. Then started buying other minis by Reaper in the DHL line because I thought they were cool. That was 7 years ago. Then I got out of it.....sold everything including my Doom minis.....still kicking my own elf for that. A few weeks ago...I started buying DHL minis again. I have around 40 so far....primed my first batch today :-) Don't plan on selling these anytime soon.

Frulla rules!

I am very surprised and intrigued to find how many people fell in recently due to KICKSTARTER. I guess I shouldn't be... but DANG, I hadn't expected to find so many!

• Like 2