Sign in to follow this  
Kang

Why you little...

So. This morning, getting ready to head out to work and drop the kids off at their aunt's house for daycare... I was on my way to the laundry room to find a clean shirt, so to get there I headed through the room (which is normally closed & has a hook up high to keep the kids out, but my wife doesn't always put the hook back in if she thinks one of us'll be coming back through soon...) where all my older & less used painting stuff is still sitting around on the workbench until it goes to my new painting area.

What do I see there? My unwashed spare ceramic palette, sitting on the workbench, with approximately one craft paint bottle's worth of purple craft paint pooled all over it. Upon closer inspection, I also see a purple craft paint bottle with the lid unscrewed and missing, with a red brush handle sticking out of it. Upon even closer inspection still, I see my fully assembled and gap-filled but not yet primed 3087:Battle Troll lying on its side with a dab of purple paint across his eyes, and another purple smear on his tail.

Lucky for me I don't use the craft paints much anymore! It was still fresh enough to rinse all the paint off the mini with hot tap water, and I was able to pour maybe half the paint back into the bottle & rinse the rest down the sink (hooray! Now I have another clean palette to use!). Found the lid of the paint bottle lying on the floor. Somehow, no paint got anywhere other than on the mini, the brush, and the palette! Cripes, he didn't even get a single drop on himself! Not too shabby for a 3-year old boy, eh?

I wasn't sure whether I should praise him for wanting to paint like his old man (not saying I paint trolls purple, mind you), or thrash him for messing with my paint stuff, or thrash him for just painting wrong - I mean, craft paints?! Unthinned?!? On an unprimed mini?!?! True, he used a fine detail brush and that's ok, but he picked one from... GW(NOOOooooooo)!!!! Still, for a kid who's had no instruction or even ever watched me paint before (I wait 'til the kids are in bed, specifically so they don't get tempted to do exactly this sort of thing the minute I turn my back), he did quite well. His brush control actually seems to be pretty good for a newbie... His stealth-painting techniques are apparently even better. I sense great potential in that kid... But mostly I'm just amazed that he poured out a whole bottle of paint totally unsupervised, and yet somehow didn't make a mess!

But I'm still very glad that all my Reaper paints and good brushes and painted/in-progress minis are kept elsewhere and out of his reach!

BTW, totally kidding about actually physically thrashing my kid - for any reason - in case that wasn't obvious. Don't hurt little kids, folks.

Kang

Sounds like the boy has potential as either a ninja or an artist! ::D:

Congrats!

A whole bottle of craft paint and none on himself or the floor?

Mad skills!

You might want to start his padawan training soon.

The force is strong in this one. :lol:

I highly recommend painting with your kids. My oldest (5 yo girl) is at the point where I can paint with her and actually focus on what I'm doing and not on what she's doing. I do have to go through all the dropper bottles after we're done and check if the lids are tightened enough, but that's all I have to do. I started painting with her when she was two and around 3 she started caring about the actual mini and trying to put colors in areas where they make sense. The first few years however I didn't really get to do much painting myself during our sessions since she needed help shaking bottles and getting a fitting amount of paint on her palette... and she changed colors VERY frequently.

Her latest work is "fantasy horse" (brown horse with metallic gold mane and tail, and blue and red "socks").

Edited by vejlin

Sounds like the boy has potential as either a ninja or an artist!

What, he can't be both? ::D:

A whole bottle of craft paint and none on himself or the floor?

Mad skills!

Or on the workbench, or on the walls, or on the neglected heaps of laundry nearby, or on the ironing board that never gets folded up and put away which is the reason I'm moving my painting area up to the attic (it's a too-small room even without the ironing board in the middle of the floor; with it there, I can't even fit a chair in front of my bench), or on the wife's sewing projects on the other workbench, or on the shelves full of outgrown kids' clothes, or on the door knob, or on the curtains, or on the towels in the bathroom around the corner, or even on his baby sister... that is correct. A whole bottle, and none of it got on anything but palette and mini.

Couldn't believe it myself at first. This is a kid who regularly spills milk on the couch and juice on the bed; who scribbles on the walls when you turn your back for 2 seconds; who's been caught like a deer in the headlights in the throes of body-painting himself with Penaten cream while standing on the new carpet; who somehow manages to cover himself in magic marker from head to toe on what seems like a weekly basis (sometimes, I could swear, without ever even getting close to a marker)! I won't even mention what he did with a dirty diaper 2 weeks ago at daycare. ::o::blink: Frankly, I'm just amazed he was even able to get that paintbrush out of the rack without knocking half my cluttered workbench over!

You might want to start his padawan training soon.
Not like he's given me much choice in the matter, now is it? ::D:
The force is strong in this one. :lol:
Oh just great. So you're saying I'm gonna have to pick either a whiny Luke or an evil Anakin?

Seriously for a moment though, I am mostly actually just very relieved he didn't (so far as I can tell) get into any of the sharp hobby blades and dental picks and precariously balanced cases of dremel bits, or decades-old lumps of poisonous lead, or potentially toxic artist's acrylic tube colours, or chewing-gum-looking greenstuff ribbons, or countless choking hazards and other assorted dangerous items he might easily have picked up. The hook on that door keeps the kids and my stuff safe from each other in theory, but it doesn't do a whole lot of good when it gets left open... The fact he didn't spill purple paint on the carpet, followed by a large bag of static grass on the purple paint, is really just icing.

vejlin - thanks for the tip about painting with the kids! I'll try and find time to paint with him (them, eventually); even though I can't see getting much work done myself during these sessions, he'll probably get a big kick out of it. I'll have to go through my collection and select a few expendable victims for him. Sadly, there's not a lot of time left in the day for anything like this, really, what with my long commute and all - on a good day (ie. when we rush home from work), I maybe get time to take him out in the backyard to push him on his swings and watch him use the slide on his play structure for maybe 20 minutes, tops, between arriving home and making/eating supper and starting up the whole bedtime routine... all of which is another reason why I usually don't paint until the kids are in bed. My wife works on Saturdays while I care for the rugrats, but our 1-year old daughter demands pretty much constant supervision, so that's out... There's always Saturday evenings and Sundays, I guess!

PS. Thinking about it a bit more, I realize he actually has seen me paint before - I took a day off sick a few months ago, and when his Mom arrived home from work & picking him up from daycare, I was working on a dragon (which is still a WiP at this point but getting close) in the family room. I put it away as soon as he got home, but I did mention I had been painting it when he stared asking questions. I guess he saw enough in those brief seconds (literally less than 10 seconds when any of my stuff wasn't put away up too high for him to see it) to know that the paint goes on the palette before it goes on the mini, that the paint does go on the mini at all in the first place, that you don't just lay a painty brush down on the table, and so forth. Kids that age are amazing - they have an incredible capacity to observe and remember the smallest mundane details about every new thing they encounter, even if they only see it for a moment! I swear, they're going to end up taking over the world one of these days! ::D: Really makes you realize how much of the world we as adults end up filtering out or just plain ignoring so that we can pay more attention to the stuff our experience tells us is more important, whenever we observe the world around us... Or maybe my son is just some sort of super-genius with a photographic memory... yeah, that's probably it.

Kang

I paint with my kids alot, but they always seem to get a bug when I'm not around, that is when the chaos ensues! Superglued Mini's to the side of the lamp, needlefiles to the side of the desk, mini's dipped in hot wax (where did that candle com from anyhow?) and brushes used for everything from brushing the dog (seriously) to painting toenails. Ah the joys of parent hood, they can be so bittersweet!

Perhaps it's time to buy him some washable paint or something like this.

My kid is only 5 months but if that had happened to me I'd tell her that she needs to come and ask me if she wants to paint. But perhaps getting her a set of paints just for herself would solve that problem.

My suggestion wouldbe to go to a toy store and buy a couple of those cheap plastic dinosaurs for a few bucks and base coat it (with krylon plastic primer) and give him a big #2 or 3 brush and some finger paints (they wash off with water right?) on a pallet and put a cheap smock or apron on him, sit him in front of a table (with adequate newspaper on the table and floor) and tell him to have at it.

He might have fun. He'll certainly amuse himself for a little bit and give you time to relax (and chase after your little girl. mine's the same age. They're quite a handful at that age!) while he does his thing.

You might even be able to make this a father/son bonding thing and it could really help him with his creativity. (not to mention color sense and other educational/learning things that usually help turn rambunctious little boys into possible future picasos!)

If you want to bring your daughter into the fun they do make finger paints and markers that only work on special crayola paper. The markers are shaped like animals and are big to help little hands use them better. That will help avoid her making a huge mess like kids her age are prone to do with anything they can get their hands on. :)

Wow, that cheap plastic dinosaur idea sounds much better than sacrificing any of my precious and ever more expensive pewter - thanks for the idea! I'm starting to get excited about painting with him sometime soon. I'll probably let him use craft paints though, just because I have a ton of them and rarely use them anymore myself.

As for my daughter, she actually turned 1 back in May (the day after my son's 3rd B-day, actually, which works out great as both their birthdays roughly coincide with our Victoria Day holiday, AKA "May Two-Four weekend"); those extra ~2 months of life have only made her even more of a handful - this morning while we were getting ready to leave for work, she taught her how to climb up on the coffee table. Good for a near heart attack when we saw her standing there precariously close to the edge, jumping up and down with pride... ::o:

I was kind of proud of her too, but first there was a moment of panic there where I was sure she was going to topple onto her head on the hardwood before I could get to her. She didn't, BTW. Guess the family room's not quite baby-proof anymore... I'll definitely look into those special paint/markers/paper too while I'm out dino-shopping.

DocumentaryGirl: I wish you all the best with your "tell her that she needs to come and ask me if she wants to paint" strategy. I really do. It does seem like a logical plan. But I know from experience that it won't work on my son, at least not so far - quite the opposite, in fact. If anything, that seems to make him even more determined and stealthy. I have a couple of friends who have little boys at home too, and they tell me theirs are the same way, what with the mischief and all. I haven't had to ask yet if the same applies to their daughters - could be there's hope for you & yours yet! ::D:

Kang

My almost 4 year old son is also always wanting to paint. I've got some old Ral Partha dwarves I found on the cheap 10 years ago that I let him go after. I make sure that they're well primed so that no lead is showing, but he does the rest. While I don't let him use my good W&N, Vallejo, or Raphael brushes, I give him a palette and squirt some Vallejo paints into them and let him go to town. While his color choices are, well, interesting to say the least, he really enjoys "painting with daddy".

Another thing I'll do is give him some of the wooden flats you can get at Michaels or Hobby Lobby in the shape of trains, cars, and airplanes, then let him paint those with craft paints. He actually does a really good job with those, staying in each section pretty well.

/Paul

He might have fun. He'll certainly amuse himself for a little bit and give you time to relax

Depends greatly on the kid. My oldest had a tendency to just get up and start doing something else as soon as she lost interest in the painting..... which sucks when the kid is covered in paint. More than once I've had to drop what I had in my hands VERY fast to intercept my daughter before she reached the couch.

Another suggestion for painting subjects for kids - Walmart, Michaels and Hobby Lobby all carry little plaster figurines - I think they are 6 for $2.49 at Wal-mart, and like $0.99 each at michaels/hobby lobby. For another idea of cheap "minis", try army men - again, washed and primed - they even have versions of knights and archers. I think I picked up a bag of like forty knights for $5.

For my son, when I let him paint "with" me, I let him pick the colors he wants from my craft paint collection, and I squeeze a bit of the colors he wants into an old plastic pallette. He only gets as many colors as the pallette has wells, which is like 7-9 or so. Now that he's older (6), I just let him paint his first three Space Marines. We started out by going to this site (sorry, link not handy), where you could pick the color scheme of your Space marine, and save the resulting image file. He sat on my lap while we did that, and when done, printed it out. Then we used that to pick out the colors for his Space Marines, and I had him paint them to match. Not great, but the best minis he's painted so far, since he had a reference picture.

Wow, this thread's getting more replies than I expected!

OK, here's a new story about my son. The story in my OP was so recent that I feel I should just keep it going on here a little bit longer...

He's toilet training right now, finally, and it's going pretty well. When he leaves "it" where it belongs, he gets to put a sticker on the calendar. If he goes in his diapers, a sticker comes off; then, at the end of the week he hopefully has enough stickers to have earned the irresistible new toy we've been hanging over his head all week like a carrot to his cart-mule. It's been less than 2 weeks and each day on the calendar since we began now has more stickers than the last, to the point where over the last couple days we have been forced to make each day's stickers overlap each other so that they can all fit.

Anyhow, today he's at his Aunt Kelly's place for daycare, and while she was upstairs - going potty herself, I assume - she left him in the basement rec-room with his cousin (she's 2ish) to play. Aunt Kelly comes back down to check on them, only to find them both pantsless, with all of the 8 cheeks they've got between them flying free! My son says, "Aunt Kelly, I went poo!"

"Oh! What a good boy you are," she replies, going to get the potty she left downstairs for them, so that she can empty it out. Except it's already empty... Panic moment! Aunt Kelly begins hunting around for any carpet bombs that may be lurking in the shadows...

Now, you gotta understand that an important part of the whole potty ritual we've got going on at home is his emptying it into the toilet and being allowed to flush. But Aunt Kelly's basement doesn't have a toilet. It does, however, have one of those big rectangular laundry sinks...

I'll let your imaginations fill in the rest of the story; these boards are PG-rated and I've already said the P word once, after all...

Needless to say, since it didn't happen where I live, it was extremely difficult to keep from cracking up when I got that particular phone call!

Kang

LMAO....at least he put it in the sink, and not any of the other places that wouldn't be so great - like a heater vent, or a washing machine.

LMAO....at least he put it in the sink, and not any of the other places that wouldn't be so great - like a heater vent, or a washing machine.
I can vouch for the washing machine option being extra-nasty - got an unpleasant surprise once when going downstairs to do laundry in the building we lived in before we bought the house. That was probably the #1 gross-out I've experienced in my entire life, possibly excepting a certain infamous online video I stumbled across one time, whose title I won't mention because that would only make some people too curious for their own good. What is wrong with some people anyhow?

Anyhow, it turns out my son's Aunt poured a potty out in that same sink once a month or 2 ago while he was watching and she had her hands too full to bring it upstairs to the toilet (though she points out it was liquids only that time) - guess she's got only herself to blame for this one! Not even an honest mistake on his part, really - she inadvertently taught him to do that!

Just proves my earlier point (in the PS of post #4) about how they notice & remember EVERYTHING at that age.

But still, no matter whose fault this was, he'd better not try that at home...

A friend (and player, and DM) of mine has an older boy than mine. He's 4, IIRC. They went down to NJ last weekend to visit some relatives, but I doubt they'll be invited back. Apparently there was an... episode. He told me about it at our D&D session last night after I told him about the sink thing my son had done. It involved finding a squished mess on the floor, following some little brown footprints all through the house, and finally discovering him covered in his own filth, hiding somewhere in another room. I didn't ask if the little guy was finger-painting on the walls or anything, but I got the distinct impression it was a very unpleasant scene. Yikes, that one has my kid beat, hands down!

Anyone got any kid-related horror stories that are less fecal in nature? Otherwise, I fear this thread is headed nowhere good.

Kang