Sign in to follow this  
Kang

Why you little...

my friend has a 4 year old girl who has been painting with daddy for about a year. she gets tempra paints and old Hero Quest minis. the nice thig there is IF she wants to keep them he can seal them, if not, in the sink they go and can be painted again. she's starting to get pretty good

yeah. My daughter just paints over the old layer of paint. Some of her earliest minis have 5+ pretty thick layers by now.

I wound up buying my son a plastic dinosaur to paint, as suggested earlier. It's a fairly huge brontosaurus (I refuse to memorize whatever ridiculous name they're called nowadays that doesn't translate to "THUNNNDERRR-LIZZZZARD!!!", just because some dusty old bone finally got properly identified and happened to have been dug up first*.)

I was going to buy him a dino toy anyhow as reward for a "good week" in toilet training, so next week's reward should be a chance to paint it, which he seems eager to try ("Mommy! Mommy! I going paint my dinosaur wif Daddy!"). Assuming the training continues to go well, which it seems to be, other than that one horrible episode I mentioned earlier. Which wasn't this week anyhow...

The only question is, should I bother to spray it with primer? I had a terrible time priming a much more rubbery plastic toy once before (there's a thread around here somewhere detailing the fiasco, which I eventually cleared up in time for me to not finish painting it before it saw tabletop action...), but this one is made of rigid plastic so I think that particular problem would not come up again. That was my good Tamiya Fine Surface primer - I would use a regular cheap can of whatever brand I can get in the spray paint aisle at Canadian Tire if I were to spray this thing; it's huge (about 1 1/2 feet long, nose to tip of tail) and would probably drain my whole can of Tamiya anyhow. Just not sure how a regular primer spray is going to react with this (or any) type of plastic is all, so I'm thinking about just letting him paint it up as-is using craft acrylics. Assuming the paint will stick at all, I can always seal it later if he decides it is "done" at some point...

But all this is probably going to have to wait a couple of weeks, as our family is flying out to visit the kids' grandparents tomorrow morning. In West Kelowna, BC. Yes, the same one that is surrounded by raging forest fires as I type this. Their house is smack-dab right in between the remnants of the 2 fires that are now under control, and a bit south of the big one that is still raging wild and getting closer. My parents assure me there'll be plenty of time & warning to get out if the wind makes an unfortunate shift or anything like that, and they're fairly cautious folks, so I'm not too worried about the wife & kids and I getting torched in our sleep or anything... I might bring the mini I'm working on right now, since it'll be needed in my D&D campaign soon after we get back, but his dino is pretty big to be bringing, and even if it does come along, I am not willing to trust craft acrylic bottles with their easy-flip-tops in my suitcase... Last time I went out there, my old GW inks leaked in my suitcase & made a real mess, and I don't want to go through that again (tip: line the threads where the tops screw on with vaseline to prevent such leaking - it worked for the flight home, anyhow, but it certainly wouldn't help prevent the craft bottle (or newer GW pot) flip-tops from coming open...)

Kang

* I still call Will Smith the Fresh Prince too, FWIW; maybe I 'Just Don't Understand'.

Well, I think its wonderful that all you guys are getting your kids into what your into. I wish more parents did that. In my job I see so many kids(and adults) that never really bonded with their parents/kids. if that makes any sense.

I would always encourage including your kids in whatever you do. My best friend in high school DMed for his family and myself plus another pal, including both of his parents and his younger sister. I think she was about 7-8 when we all started playing (she played a very precocious kinder).

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you do something that's fun, more than likely your kids will enjoy it too. I'm glad you decided against moving your painting gear to the attic. Sometimes the curiosity of kids can get them into trouble when just sitting down and talking to them like an equal sometimes can avert it. From my own experience there :)

Also, you might look at some primer designed specifically for plastics, or try doing a very light sanding with some extra fine automotive sand paper. the wet/dry stuff works great. A tip from my brother that does auto repainting.

I wound up buying my son a plastic dinosaur to paint, as suggested earlier. It's a fairly huge brontosaurus (I refuse to memorize whatever ridiculous name they're called nowadays that doesn't translate to "THUNNNDERRR-LIZZZZARD!!!", just because some dusty old bone finally got properly identified and happened to have been dug up first*.)

Awww cmon Kang Apatosaurus isnt so bad to remember. :blush:

...I'm glad you decided against moving your painting gear to the attic. Sometimes the curiosity of kids can get them into trouble when just sitting down and talking to them like an equal sometimes can avert it. From my own experience there :)

Also, you might look at some primer designed specifically for plastics, or try doing a very light sanding with some extra fine automotive sand paper. the wet/dry stuff works great. A tip from my brother that does auto repainting.

Actually, I do still plan to move my painting area up to the attic, but it's really more about giving myself more room to spread my stuff around than anything else - it's only a little bit more likely to stay locked when I'm not up there than the current disaster zone. However, there are a lot of sharp blades, potentially some lead filings, rotary tools, assorted drill bits, etc., and knowing my son, he's as strong-willed as I was at his age and is prone to think he knows best what's safe for him to play with and what isn't, no matter what I tell him, at least at times. So a slightly more secure painting area will help me sleep a little better at night if nothing else, and I can't see how it could make him more likely to get into any danger. But I certainly am looking forward to painting with him sometime after we get home from vacation (we did not manage to fit his bronto in any of our suitcases - painting out in the sunshine here is great and hasn't been possible in Ottawa this summer what with all the rain, though the once-more-encroaching forest fires around here are a little worrisome), and wouldn't hesitate to share my work area with him as long as I'm there with him to make sure he isn't lopping his fingers off or aything. Until he's a little older, at least.

Thanks for the tips on priming or sanding plastic; I'll look into those when we get home.

Awww cmon Kang Apatosaurus isnt so bad to remember. :blush:
Bah, I don't need no stinkin' apatosaurus. I think everyone is entitled to pick one thing to be a crusty old man who hates change about, and brontosaurus is mine. A fairly harmless choice, I think. ::):

Kang

EDIT-> months later but feeling no need to bump this dead thread hence an edit: painting with my son is working out great. No primer, just craft acrylics (dispensed and thinned by me for now) and cheapo brushes. He's still happy to keep putting more paint on that same brontosaurus, and I'm happy to have more painting time than ever before, including before the kids came along. It's a win-win, I tell ya. Never saw anyone so thrilled by the sight of metallic paints! He's even getting pretty good at rinsing his brush out without spilling the water bowl. Everyone should get their kids painting minis (or toys, age-depending) ASAP, from what I've seen.