Sign in to follow this  
haldir

Rescue at Rivenroar

Watcher joins your journey to the tavern

"Counting the 3 hobgoblins I sent to the other side, I'd say 15, mostly goblins but a hobgoblins as well. I know my way with a blade, as that is my profession. I didn't encounter any orcs, which is odd."

He pauses then says "then again, orcs aren't known to team up with hobgoblins, so that may be the case here."

The party reaches a small inn, that is in full swing despite the recent raid. The party enters & takes a open table (the common room is busy, but not really busy). A barmaid comes up to the table & takes the party's order.

"Welcome to Pig's Pit. Don't let the name fool yah, we serve some great roasted pork & all the fixin." she says with a slight accent, your not sure where you've heard it before.

After taking the party's order, she moves to the kitchen. At this time your expecting the door to burst open again & in pour hobgoblins but the night go without further interruption. Asking the barmaid about rooms & she says the cost will be 5 silver marks per night & you can get a room at the front desk (where a dwarf sits with his legs up on the desk, he appears to be half-asleep right now).

The ones getting a room, pay for their room & if anyone doesn't have anything else to do tonight, the night passes.

Next day.......

Everyone goes through their normal morning routines, except Brannor. You get a knock on your door at the temple. Answering it, a young courier delivers a scroll with the seal of the Lord Warren embossed on to it. After paying the lad a couple of silvers, he bows & departs. You break the seal & inside is letter from the Lord Warden Harrik Orenna -

"Good morning, Sir Brannor, paladin of Erathis.

"I take you slept well after last night's events. I hope so as I bring more bad news to the city of Brindol. It appears the humanoid raids last night were distractions, or cover-ups for a more serious act against our city. Certain citizens were taken last night, as well as certain artifacts that were dear to the city. Please gather your allies that were with you last night, as I need to convene with you & your friends once again to discuss these findings. I know you will honor you oath to Erathis, but there will be a substantial reward to all that come to this meeting.

thank you,

Lord Warden Harrik Orenna"

The following morning Kaanite walks out of the inn 5 silver lighter but rested and well fed.

That was some good roast pork, I'll definitely have to add the Pig's Tit to my list of stopovers.

Akaru wakes suddenly, almost taken by surprise by her unfamiliar surroundings as the sun pours in through a gap in the window curtains. She had laid awake for quite some time the night before thinking there would be another attack, but that never happened..and she eventually slept. Now that it is a new day and her mind is well-rested and can think more clearly, she begins trying to make sense of why the attack ended so suddenly, and once again a feeling of general unease comes over her.

She goes about her morning routine...checking through her belongings to see that nothing is amiss including the contents of her coin purse, making sure that her daggers are adequately sharpened, and then she spends some time studying her book of spells.

She then gathers up her belongings and sets out for the College. Such a place likely draws those inclined toward thaumaturgy like the flame attracts moths. She knows she does not have the tuition, nor a benefactor to sponsor her education there, but still she hopes to find some kind of oppertunity...maybe gain the right person's trust or perhaps just gain the right person's spell book.

She rushes right past the other early-risers in the common room and heads for the street.

She sees somebody just ahead of her and recognizes him. Before he even notices her she walks up behind him and asks only half in jest, "Kaanite? Are you waiting for the goblins to return again?"

The two of you see the remnants of the raid last night. A blacken wall here & there, but overall it appears like anther day. If you go into the square (it is going on right now, mostly farmers hawking their wares right now), you can see where the horde was across the river, but other then a few blacken patches of earth on the ground, it appears to be normal.

"Morning." a familiar voice sounds as Watcher approaches, his silvery metallic skin, shining in the morning light. "Like nothing happened, good, Brindol is resilient town." he says after catching up with the group.

"Good morning to you too.", Akaru greets Watcher in return. "it is as if nothing happened here, yes. But this is a big city and we only know what happened in this part. One of the guardsmen might know more."

She looks around, seeking out any guardsman, but would prefer one of rank.

I've been personally summoned to serve the Warden and the city!

Brannor races to the armory where his sword, shield and armor are stored.

The excitement clearly written on his face the brothers laugh and deftly dodge the youth as he caroms off the walls taking corners in his hustle to get his possessions together. In the armory, Brannor's mentor greets him and assists with the donning of his scale mail.

"Young man, we have heard of your exploits last evening. Your sacrifices for your fellow men and your willingness to defend those in need, even at risk of your own life. I have also learned you recently received a missive from Orenna. You have done us and your training proud. May the light of Erathis continue you guide your path."

"You may also need this." The mentor passes Brannor a backpack with provisions and supplies for a journey. "Sometimes in our excitement to serve, we forget to care for ourselves. Remember that sacrificing yourself so that others may live is a noble deed. Forgetting to eat and drink is simply folly. Take care son."

With that Brannor raced out of the temple and hoped to reach the Pig's Tit before his new friends left on their respective ways.

Edited by Qwyksilver

Kaanite looks over his shoulder and hears Akaru greet Watcher. He turns to face the pair prepared to greet them himself when he hears what sounds like a well armed individual charging headlong in the groups general direction. Kaanite partly draws his sword, prepared for an ambush, then relaxes his grip when he sees the familiar face of Brannor rushing to meet them.

Brannor comes crashing to a halt, the support beam of an awning shuddering with his impact. Hanging onto to the beam for support, he leans over, sucking in air in huge gasps. Between gasps he manages to speak.

Lord... <gasp> Ward... <gasp> enna... <gasp> Summ... <gasp> us to <gasp> Big troub... <gasp> Meet... <gasp> Now! <gasp> Ran <gasp> get <gasp> Pig <gasp> fore... <gasp> leave.

Edited by Qwyksilver

Akaru's reaction is similar to Kaanite's as the sound of clanking armour afoot in full gallop comes from behind. She spins round ready for an ambush but sees it is only Brannor, whom she had met the night before.

He speaks to her and her two other friends, but she has a hard time understanding just what he is trying to say amidst his gasping and wheezing.

"I don't understand. Who is in trouble with who? Are you running from somebody?"

Composing himself, Brannor takes one last final deep breath.

"I have received a missive from the Lord Warden himself personally requesting my services. Watcher you were correct. The Hand's activities were a diversion. The Warden has asked that I gathered those that were with me last night to assist. I was worried that you might be leaving, given what happened. As soon as I got my armor on I ran here as fast as I could and well, here I am."

The boundless energy and excitement coming from the young man seems in stark contrast to the composed, determined warrior from the previous night who faced down an ogre with nothing but a shield and sword. It makes you realize just how young he really is. And once again his demeanor changes and you can see the strength of character, sense of duty and the growing maturity in the young man.

"Brindol may not be your home, but it was last night, and you were ready to fight for her then. Will you join me to fight for her now?"

"When? ... And where?", asks Akaru. "What preparations will I need to make?"

Akaru pauses awkwardly.

"I mean.. yes I will help you. Will we be meeting your Lord Warden soon?"

"I don't know what we will need, since I don't know all the details. There are people missing and the longer they are gone the harder it will be to find them, and the less likely we may find them alive. We can get supplies once we know where we are going."

Brannor bows deeply to the halforc. "Thank you Akaru. Brindol thanks you."

"Kaanite, Watcher, will you be joining us?"

The party makes it's way to the administrative offices where the Lord Warden makes his daily residence, or at least his day to day job. Upon opening the door, you enter a large room. On the walls are all sorts of decorations from shields with the official city symbol on it, to guild symbols to other mundane items. Along with a small desk in the middle of it, behind sits a male half-elf scribbling something, who looks up when the party enters.

"May I help you?" he says

Brannor says & shows the paper with the LW's official seal on it. "Morning good sir, we have been summoned by his lordship, Lord Warden Harrik Orenna."

"Hmmmmmmmm....." the half-elf eyeballs the seal & checks the letter, ah yes I recall sending this out earlier this morning. Nice to see you respond so quickly. Please excuse me as I go see if he is available." the half-elf says & leaves the room.

It's about a 10 minute wait before he returns, along with a page. "He will see you now. Follow Bill here & he'll show the way."

"Good morning, sirs & madam." he says as he does a courtesy bow. "Please, follow me." he opens the door & leads the party down the hallway & down a staircase. Along the walls are various artwork & other typical government decoration. You past one particular painting that catches your eye thou. It is a much younger, Lord Warden but he is dressed in bright platemail with a shield showing a eagle clutching a sword. A halbred is in his other hand.

You take a couple other turns but you end up at a wooden door with the same symbol on the door along with Brindol's city crest. Bill, knocks on the door & a voice says "Please, enter." The page opens the door for the party but doesn't enter. "Good day, Sirs & Madam." & with that he bows & leaves the area.

Upon entering the room you see a table with various maps & other scrolls upon it, there is a fireplace with small fire going & sitting in a stuffed chair is the Lord Warden. He looks much different then he did last night. He is wearing a long shirt that is belted at the waist, a slender sword is belted to it. He also wears a long coated vest. Atop his head is crown, thou it appears more for the station then actual royalty. In the daylight, you can see his visage more & the man is probably in his 60s, he wears a trimmed goatee & his white hair is long but thinned at the top. He wears a single gold earring his ear.

He says

"Welcome Sir Brannor & friends, I'm glad you came as fast as you could. I have a business proposition for you to listen too."