Sign in to follow this  
haldir

Rescue at Rivenroar

[Goblin] Morrick. I am barred from granting you immediate justice by my Lord, but you will no longer be left here to be abused and mistreated. You will be held for trial and made accoutable for your attack on our city. [/Goblin]

Brannor hefts the bag of coins and gets a feel for their weight. "It seems this should provide us with any provisions we may need. Gentlemen, and Lady we should make preparations and move out as soon as possible. Daylight is awasting."

"Kaanite and Watcher, " Brannor turns to them. "We do not have enough coin for the purchase of mounts, so we will be travelling afoot. Other than food, is there anything specific you believe we should acquire before we depart?"

Kaanite ponders for a moment.

Since we're in pursuit, and already significantly behind, we should definitely be traveling a bit on the light side. Perhaps an adventuring kit and not much more per person beyond personal requirements. Some climbing gear for those of us with training would be useful as well, though I'm definitely open to other suggestions.

Akaru takes mental inventory of her pack and considers the task ahead.

"Burning oil is good in a fight if we are outnumbered. I have some, but more would be better. I am prepared for climbing, but I have no food left for the travel. If those things can be gotten in the hour, I would like to do so."

"I think my Brothers knew something was afoot when I received my Summons to appear before the Lord Warden. The pack that was left for me was ready for a 10 day's journey. Akaru, if you are in need of some provisions, I believe some funds have been provided. We should be able to procure some easily within an hour's passing. Watcher, you mentioned there is another town en route. We will have the opportunity to resupply there, and purchase any other provisions we find we are lacking. If time is of the essence, we can probably pool what resources we already have to get a faster start."

Brannor starts up the steps, an aura of excitement surrounding him. With a smile on his face that you'd expect for a young man about to have his first 'real' adventure he heads towards the gates. "Daylight's a'wastin!" he cries.

"Whatever you need for the journey go get it." Watcher says.

"I'll be out in the area where the humanoids were, seeing what I can dig up out there. a one hour time limit sounds good. I'll meet up with you on the road to Red Rock. Even thou I doubt the humanoids took the road, it'll be the fast way to the town. Care to join me, Brannor?" he says

& with that the barbarian leaves the area & is bound to the other shore where the confrontation with the guards & the humanoids was.

Brannor hands Akaru 5 gold pieces. "This should be sufficient for the food you need for the trip. We'll be able to get more if we need it at the next village. Kaanite, Watcher and I will be scouting the area outside the Keep where the Hand ran off. We'll be there in an hour."

[OOC, 195 party gold]

One hour later, Akaru shows up with a 15-day supply of rations, 6 torches and 6 flasks of oil added to her kit.

The party splits up, Akaru goes get some supplies, knowing that if she misses anything, she'll have a chance to get it at the town of Red Rock. Watcher & the rest of the party head toward the area where the humanoid raid party was last seen.

The area is heavily trampled by the boots of the invaders, thou it's not as bad you think it would have been.

"Hmmm....." Watcher says as he bends to one knee, looking at the area. "I figure there would be more here." He points to the various discarded torches & other refuse left behind by the invaders.

"They may have been carrying 2 torches each to make it look like there was more of them. If Morrik's story is true, they were here more for destruction then actual fighting." he says.

After a 35 min or so search in the area, Kane finds a trail of many footprints that lead north, obviously the humanoids.

"There is our trail, good work!" Watcher says.

"We know they are headed North above Red Rock, so best we take the road, then we can pick it up again outside of there if needed."

The party heads to the North gate to meet back up with Akaru.

The journey to Red Rock

The trip doesn't take long, maybe a couple of hours, the mid-day sun beats down on everyone thou, wearing everyone out. If not for waterskins & in above-average conditioning, the party would be worn out by the time it gets to Red Rock. Along the dirt road you pass a few farmers heading to & from Brindol with their goods, none of them have seen any traces of humanoids. One even says "Hogwash! There be no gobbins in this area, they were all killed years ago! Bandits, now those you have to watch out fer!!!".

The party also crosses paths with a small caravan coming from Red Rock. The small train of wagons is loaded up with mining & other prospecting items. The merchant tries to sell you some pick-axes & will not give up until Watcher finally telling the man off, almost threatening him of buying a pick axe & then burying it into his skull afterwords. The presence of 3 crossbow-armed guards on top of main wagon cools the situation. The merchant finally gives up & goes his way.

You arrive at the small town of Red Rock. It's a small mining town of more or less a few shanty buildings but what catches your eye are the number of tents. They all range in size from personal to huge. You can see where the town gets it's name, the hills that start to form the Giant's Shield mountains are of a rich red hue. There are variety of races in the town, even a few goliaths which up to this point Watcher was the only one you've seen.The one that stands out thou is a minotaur. He is standing behind a large anvil & is hammering away on piece of red-hot metal. There aren't any elladrin mulling about thou. Most of the other common races, epically dwarves are mulling about the tents, exchanging wares or going about their business.

"Lets ask around, never know one of the miners might know of our trail or even this Rivenroar ruin." Watcher says.

Akaru takes a good long look at the town of Red Rocks as the party arrives. Already she has an odd feeling about the nature of the humanoid raiders, what with Morrik's story, the fact that they seemed to be hiding their lack of numbers and the one man's testimonial that he was more worried by bandits than by goblins.

"This looks like a military camp", she observes discreetly to Kane and Watcher. "Maybe the town is protected by mercenaries?", she adds.

Kaanite nods subtly

Let's not rule out the possibility, no matter how remote, that these people could be sympathizing or in league with those that attacked the city. Or potentially victims like ourselves, and too scared to do anything about it.

"Red Rock is a mining town, so the people are pretty rough here. As are the guards, but that is due to the gems & ores that are here & of course people that want those items."

"Overall, 'Rock is a decent town. I think the best info we can get is probably the tavern. Most people will frequent that place at least once or even more a day."

Watcher says.

"Do you know the way to the tavern?", Akaru asks Watcher.

If he does not, she will approach the first person she meets and ask directions.

"Not only would a tavern be a good source of information, but we will need a place to spend the night, not to mention a base of operations for our search. Living in a tent will afford us neither the privacy nor safety we may require. We should also notify the local authorities of our arrival. This is a pretty rough place, and I am sure well-armed new comers will be looked at with a great deal of suspicion. Plus if we're asking around, they may think we are here for a far less noble purpose."

[OOC: Is there a shrine or church to Erathis in the town? Or a non-denominational holy place? Also, is Red Rock it's own individual town, or does it pay at least a passing fealty to Brindol and Brindol's ruling class?]

Edited by Qwyksilver

"I do know the way, it's one of the more durable buildings in town." Watcher says.

"That would be good as well." Watcher says to you, Sir Brannor. The city hall is a few buildings down from the tavern, you'll easily recognize it, its the biggest building in town. As you can see (he points to the row of buildings), the structures of the town are mostly lined up on one main street (the place looks similar to the old west town), the miners, prospectors live in Tent-town over there, but it's one town. You won't have to worry to much about weapons, the town doesn't have any laws of carrying weapons or armor. There is just to many miners, merchants for the local law to keep in check. Still don't mean that you can just strike down anyone or rob them, they'll toss yer butt in jail or even worse, hang yah from "Death's ladder".

You make your way down the street (which is paved btw) of Red Rock, really no one gives a eye, they just attend to their business. You come upon a wooden sign hanging from a wooden 2 story building, it shows a gnome or a dwarven character consuming a barrel of ale. Under this comical picture is the name "The Drunken Gnome". Down at the end of the street is large stone building with a central dome. It sits at the base of hill & is slightly above street level. In front of this is a rather large oak tree. Watcher points to the tree, "That, my friend is "Death's Ladder"", the local hangin tree.

GM- Red Rock does have a few churches (The main one, dedicated to Erathis actually, is down a few buildings from the tavern). There is also a stone building dedicated to Dumathoin, the dwarven god of mining & underground exploration. There are other deities shrines as well.) Red Rock is it's own town. Thou if it were to fall under attack, Brindol would send troops to help defend it.

"A drink would be good after our journey...", Akaru says, though it would seem obvious. "..and we may learn something new about the mines or bandits or the goblin raiders if ale has made peoples' lips looser."

Akaru walks in and if there is an empty table with room enough for the whole party she will lead the way. Meanwhile she keeps both ears opened for conversations that might be of interest to her and her friends.

(Rolled a 12..not sure if this is a Perception check or Passive Perception)