Sign in to follow this  
Steel Rabbit

Was Dark Heaven Ever a Game?

The topic says it all. I was under the impression that Dark Heaven was just the name for Reaper's fantasy miniatures line.

If it was a game, was it made by Reaper? I ask 'cause I can find no mention of it as a game anywhere.

The topic says it all. I was under the impression that Dark Heaven was just the name for Reaper's fantasy miniatures line.

If it was a game, was it made by Reaper? I ask 'cause I can find no mention of it as a game anywhere.

I believe it was their first original miniatures line. Never had a game to go with it.

The game was called Dark Heaven Apocalypse. You can still find the old boxed sets floating around on dusty shelves in a back corner of your FLGS or on ebay.

The books in the game provide a wonderful amount of detail about the world of Adon, where Warlord is also based. A large majority of the early DHL (old blisters had them as DHA) have some sort of a link to the game, often as a named character.

The game was called Dark Heaven Apocalypse. You can still find the old boxed sets floating around on dusty shelves in a back corner of your FLGS or on ebay.

The books in the game provide a wonderful amount of detail about the world of Adon, where Warlord is also based. A large majority of the early DHL (old blisters had them as DHA) have some sort of a link to the game, often as a named character.

It's worth noting that when we launched Dark Heaven, the line was simply called "Dark Heaven". When we developed the tabletop wargame "Dark Heaven Apocalypse", we changed the name of the line to "Dark Heaven Apocalypse". After time, we discontinued the game, and changed the figure line name to "Dark Heaven Legends", which is what is known by now.

It's worth noting that when we launched Dark Heaven, the line was simply called "Dark Heaven". When we developed the tabletop wargame "Dark Heaven Apocalypse", we changed the name of the line to "Dark Heaven Apocalypse". After time, we discontinued the game, and changed the figure line name to "Dark Heaven Legends", which is what is known by now.

But when the miniatures were first released - there wasn't a game correct? Ed never mentioned this game!

..snip...

Ed never mentioned this game!

That may have been on purpose...AFAIK, it didn't do all that well in the market.

The game was released a few years after the line launched. It did very well at the time with several thousand copies sold, but it was an "old school" stand alone style game. Support was never planned so it simply faded away. Its primary function was to flush out the world and provide a backdrop for original creatures not really found in D&D at the time. Dire-dead, Skoli, Bakrathi, Arachno Assassins come to mind.

:blues:

Cool, thanks guys! I always wondered what the difference between Dark Heaven, Apocalypse, and Legends was. I'm gonna have to try and track this game down.

What the boss FAILS TO MENTION (Hi Ed!) is that there were actually a fair number of things written in support of the Dark Heaven miniatures game - and many of them are available in back issues of Casketworks.

Some of them even written by me.

--Robert, shameless self-promoting Writer Monkey

Yeah, I remember... there was a boxed set out. Never bought it; it was a bit pricey for my limited means back then...

Yep, bought mine a year ago at my FLGS. Came with the rules, fluff, Dwarf and Skeleton minis and Casketworks #3? it think. Bought it mostly for the fluff, but the minis are still good too. I even have painted the skeletons up (I rebased them for warlord though).

Is there any plans on bringing back some more of the fiction that was released in the "world book" from the box? I always thought it was interesting that the CAV factions were pulled straight from the DHA factions. Though, it makes me curious as to where the magic went. I'm guessing it is an "alternate universe".

I'd love to reread the fiction from the game, unfortunately my copy was lost in a move at some point.

/Paul

What the boss FAILS TO MENTION (Hi Ed!) is that there were actually a fair number of things written in support of the Dark Heaven miniatures game - and many of them are available in back issues of Casketworks.

I liked the game, Adon setting and character fluff. Bought the DHA box after a demo at Origins, probably 1998, when it first came out. Still have it, just never got enough minis painted or players nearby. I see CW 9 (the first of the PDFs) dropped DHA in favor of Warlord. CW 8 had an article w/stats for angels. Now if I could just find CW 3, 6 and 7...

Man you should have been a politician with your self aggrandizing~

Long way from AoL chat rep days, good to see you on the boards, and on the right side of town!!

Is there any plans on bringing back some more of the fiction that was released in the "world book" from the box?

/Paul

Not at the moment, but things around here change all the time. Just ask Bryan, last week he was made president of the company on Tuesday, but didn't find out he was fired from that position on Wednesday, until Thursday. By then it was all too late...