Sign in to follow this  
Kataclysm

Hello

Hai!

These are some of my minis I have done over the years. I really thought i had done a good job until i came on here and saw some of the stuff you guys have done. I was simply blown away. I'm almost ashamed to post these, but here it goes, be gentle as i didn't know about matte finishing or many techniques until last week.

Smarines.jpg

My very first attempt at mini painting, my D&D grp calls these "giant spiders" as they are my goto place holders for monsters.

Umberhulk.jpg

my second attempt

drow1.jpg

monk.jpg

olivia2.jpg

this is my last one, did this about 2 years ago.

I have realized that most of my problem is in using cheap paint, hence the "globbiness" of most of the detail areas and around the eyes.

A big hearty welcome to the forums. Do not feel bad or any such thing. We all started at one point in time. At first it seems that it must be impossible to paint all the detail perfectly, and then as you learn and practce it gets much easier.

Good brushes and decent paint make a big difference as well.

Your color choices are good ( like the colorful Umber hulk).

TS

You're heading in the right direction. Good paint makes a huge difference. Thin your paints, don't be afraid of a second or third coat, and practice, practice, practice.

Welcome aboard.

Take a look at the painting articles in The Craft, especially Thinning Acrylic Paints. It assumes you're using acrylic paint of some kind. That's what most painters on these forums use, but there are exceptions. Read up a bit, ask questions, and keep at it. Improvement should come quickly. But most of all, have fun.

Welcome to the party. We all had to start somewhere and my first figures were crap. Good paint and brushes are essential as is lots and lots of practice. I'd recommend Valejo paints (my faves), but Reaper and Games Workshop are just as good. They all take thining down with water very well. I tend to use artist brushes (Dalon/Windsor & newton) rather than model makers brushes as they have better tips - they are more expensive, though.

Take heart - all it takes is practice and motivation.

I think this post here from Amalor Myrnnyx does a great job of showing that we all start somewhere...

Thank you all so much for the wonderful words of encouragement. I am planning a trip to my "local" Hobby Lobby, it's still 2 hours away. I should be able to pick up some better brushes there at least.

Does anyone use actual ink for inking? I picked up a full set of multi colors a while back and i use that for my inking in tight areas. Is this a good practice or is inking kind of a crutch?

Welcome, and just to echo everyone's sentiment, keep at it, before you know it you'll be posting the "this is where I started and where I ended up" threads too.

One thing that I see on the minis is areas where the paint was not applied. This is one area where thinning the paint makes a big difference. A bit of water in the paint, even paint that's not ideal for minis, helps it flow more easily, and that makes coating the miniature much easier. It also helps it go on smoother (i.e. not globby). Another thing that helps is primer. IMHO, Black primer is easier for beginners, because if you miss small areas its not quite so obvious.

Looking at the blue insectoid figure and the monk, I'd say you're not that far off on getting a good base coat down on your minis.

Keep chugging!

One thing that I see on the minis is areas where the paint was not applied. This is one area where thinning the paint makes a big difference. A bit of water in the paint, even paint that's not ideal for minis, helps it flow more easily, and that makes coating the miniature much easier. It also helps it go on smoother (i.e. not globby). Another thing that helps is primer. IMHO, Black primer is easier for beginners, because if you miss small areas its not quite so obvious.

Looking at the blue insectoid figure and the monk, I'd say you're not that far off on getting a good base coat down on your minis.

Keep chugging!

You might also consider darklining or applying a wash. Darklining or a wash will help cover the transitions between colors, and also cover where you may have missed the paint.

I'm sure our helpful Painters can show you some before/after darklining/wash examples, My search-fu is not Premium.

Welcome to the show!

As many of said, none of us started knowing how to do this well. We all had to learn, and, the important part, we all learned different techniques. That's what makes this so much fun. Unless you're painting for profit, enjoy having fun with it. The only person you really HAVE to impress, is yourself.

That said, you're off to a good start. One of the early things to master is the color wheel, and it looks like you're already there. Now comes learning the highlighting and shading techniques, which, you really have to experiment to see what works best for you. Many will advise what works for them, but this is your artwork.

You asked about inks. You'll get mixed reaction on this question. Some swear by them, some avoid them like the plague rats. Personally, I use inks on everything. Trick is to properly thin them. Most inks are too think, in my opinion, so I mix with either water, or Future floor polish (Pledge with Future Shine, it's called now). Helps the ink settle where it's supposed to. Look at the link Kristof65 posted, and you'll see what I mean. Once you've got inks down, I'd start on drybrushing. This is a fairly standard technique, and really helps the highlighting points.

Basing can be as simple or complex as you want. Most people will say that the mini is not done if the base isn't finished, but it's not required. Again, if you're happy, that's what counts most. For the simplest basing, buy a can of green flock, paint the base area green, then use some Elmer's or other white glue to apply the flock. For more detailed, there's lots of good tutorials here, and on other sites.

A good way to start is to look at different how-to sites, and play around with techniques. Also, look at what other people have done for a mini, and try to see how you would duplicate it. Don't try to make a perfect copy right away, but try different techniques to get colors, eyes, highlighting, hair, and basing.

I would also recommend, once you're comfortable with getting the paint on the mini, the Hot Lead video series. There's 3 volumes in the set, targeting beginner, intermediate, and advanced painters. I've learned quite a bit from that series.

Hope this helps get you off to a good start. I look forward to seeing more from you.

Welcome aboard! As everyone else has said, don't be ashamed or afraid! Just don't give up! Keep practicing, looking at tutorials, talking about ideas and above all, keep yourself moving forward with new ideas, it's the only way to evolve as a painter. ::D:

Welcome! You've picked a great place to come for critiques and advice. The people here offer honest, constructive criticism without being completely brutal. There are also many great tutorial articles that I think you'll find very beneficial ::):

Just don't get so caught up in reading all those tutorials out there on the web (and later, as the addiction deepens, in shopping around for more better hobby gear) that you forget to actually slap some paint on a miniature once in a while! It can happen... :poke:

Kang