Game day! woo-hoo!

lionmane

Just got back from playing Mordheim for the first time in months. I haven't played any type of game in ages, so it was great to finally have the chance to do so again. We managed to get in 4 games . We each had 2 warbands. My 2 were Norse( not the GW rules, I made my own before they did-and I like mine better  :;): ) and Panthera Tribe ( models from 100 kingdoms, rules by me again). The Norse band is composed mostly of Reaper minis,  one GW (from Bloodbowl), and a couple of RAFM minis. The Norse were victorious both times they took the field; the Panthera Tribe was 1-1. Not too shabby.  ???  

Anyway, just wanted to share the joy of spreading fear and death to the enemy-on the tabletop, of course.  :cool:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lionmane,

I have thinking seriously of buying Mordheim myself lately. Its either that or build a GW beastman army (my first army). Have you played Warhammer? If so between the two, which do you prefer and why?

Oh yeah its cool you got to game today. I played D&D for the first time in a few months today and had a blast.

Decado

lionmane,

I have thinking seriously of buying Mordheim myself lately. Its either that or build a GW beastman army (my first army). Have you played Warhammer? If so between the two, which do you prefer and why?

Oh yeah its cool you got to game today. I played D&D for the first time in a few months today and had a blast.

Decado

I've never played Warhammer, but from what I understand, the main difference is that in Mordheim you have a warband of 12-15 warriors, and in WH you have a big freakin' army.

Also, in WH your battles are one-offs. In Mordheim your warband gains experience,skills, members,equipment,etc. Your models actually have names as opposed to "Archer regiment #1". Of course, this makes it more devastating when you have a hero who's worked his way up thru several battles get killed ("...it's just a game....it's just a game...."  :p ) .

I've really enjoyed playing Mordheim. I don't know if I would enjoy WH as much. I guess you could try both and see which one you like best.

As far as D&D, or any RPG, I haven't played a character in years. I usually end up GM-ing . I'm glad you got to play. It sucks to have a long dry spell.

Have fun with whichever mini game you choose, Decado!

lionmane,

Thanks for the reply and the info on Mordheim. From your description it sounds like the game I would rather play. Although having a beastman army would be cool :) My friend, and DM from yesterdays game played, our first game of Warhammer Quest today. It was lots of fun and hopefully we will play again soon. Now if I could only get GW's online store to cooperate with me so I could order the Mordheim boxed set.

10 minutes after posting I was finally able to place my order. Something must have been up with the Mordheim section of their site.

Decado

I have played both and personally I like Mordheim better.  Like LM said it is more personal.  you can get into it.  I am running a skaven band and a "sisters of the blade"  all females are Reaper mods!!

its fun.  I am still learning it but I think that it will be around for a while in our group.

I like the sound of being able to build your warband  up over sessions and make them more powerful. I did not realize the game worked that way. For your "sister of the blade" warband which Reaper minis did you use? Not knowing much about the game I think the Reaper Battle Nuns would fit the bill.

Decado

Those of you who like Mordheim should download and try WARLORD. I painted eight Mordheim warbands(four of them all Reaper's) and played (poorly) in the Grand Masters Tournament. I like Mordheim, but to me, Warlord is better.

Warlord is faster. Want to fire a bow at someone? Pick your archer and his victim. Roll one 10-sider. Add the archer's Ranged Attack Value. Compare to the target's Defensive Value. You either cause a wound, or don't. One dice roll.

Mordheim-you roll to hit; to wound, to see how bad a wound. roll saves. Sometimes roll for criticals. Lots of dice rolling.

We have played Warlord games with 80 figures on the board til one side was wiped out, in one hour.

Mordheim has a good background story, and a very good campaign system. I agree that gives the games a strong sense of continuity and purpose.

I have not playtested any of these aspects, yet, but am confident that they will recieve the same high level of attention as the core rules are getting.

....and remember, it's not an either/or situation. Try both and make the decision that works for you. PM me with any questions about WARLORD. I'll do my best to help you.

Decado, you can have a Beastman warband for Mordheim. I can't remember which issue it's in, but an early issue of the Town Cryer (GW's Mordheim mag) has stats for a Beastman group. You can get a minotaur for this group(very nasty). If you can't find that issue, let me know . One of my friends has that issue and I can probably send you the info.

It sounds like I might have to try Warlord, too!

lionmane,

Thanks for the tip. I found the article (I think) on the GW site. I just received an e-mail confirmation that my order has shipped so hopefully I will have the game in my hands within the next two days. Right now I am working on painting another Beastman Champion. After that is finished I will start painting my second dragon-ogre. I need to come up with some d20 stats for my dragon-ogres so I can use them in my D&D game. My players will love that!! :)

Decado

Cool. I think you're gonna enjoy the game. Keep us posted on what you think of the game.

If you like Beastmen, you might also enjoy playing a Possessed Cult warband. One of my first (and most deadly) bands was one of that type. I used a sci-fi mini for my first Possessed -from Vor, I think. A big ugly thing with a horn on it's head, huge fang-filled mouth, and enormous fists. I painted it a dark red color, and my fellow players called him "Big Red".  :)  "Big Red" soon became the most feared model on the board.   :angry: Fun stuff.  

Anyway, enjoy the battles!  :cool: