Sign in to follow this  
merlonc

Tactical uses of new Swift Attack ability

What are peoples thoughts of this new SA? As an elf player it seems pretty cool if you are careful with your movement. With lots of soldiers, elites and characters having it I am considering a swift style army backed up by casters.

Play testing showed mixed results. That is, people that tried to build their army around it were usually disapointed since it is not an overwhelming SA. It is a hit and run SA. Most people once they get into combat they are not looking to leave it but rather to stay there and get all of their swigns and try to finish off the target. So, trying to build an army around the SA tends to not get used a whole bunch.

But, having said that, having a troop or two that focuses on that SA has turned up being extremely affective in my opinion.

It also show up much more successful related to scenarios than the straight forward battles.

That is, people that tried to build their army around it were usually disappointed

Most players will find this true of most things in Warlord 2. Taking all of 1 thing will almost always turn out bad. The vast majority of playtest games showed that the variety army outperforms the 1-trick pony army. That was intentional in the game's design. ::):

As for Swift Attack, it isn't a very expensive ability because it is fairly low powered in most situations. It is great in the right situations (which it was designed for) though!

Yep, sorry, i guess i did come out sounding a bit negative on that didnt I. I was just trying to say that it is fun to play with in the role that it is meant for. But, Building an entire army around it, unless you are playing scenario games, the role that it was meant for just doesnt come up that much.

How about this... your archers weaken the enemy line that is protecting their super awesome mage. Your Swift Attack models break formation and blitz their line, quickly finishing it off, and continue their dash to surround the super mage. Oh crap super mage!!

Now, often mages have something they can do... Inferno Tome in particular can light everything on fire. But they'll be hard pressed to survive unless the Swift Attackers are peeled off by an allied model with Provoke.

How about this... your archers weaken the enemy line that is protecting their super awesome mage. Your Swift Attack models break formation and blitz their line, quickly finishing it off, and continue their dash to surround the super mage. Oh crap super mage!!

Now, often mages have something they can do... Inferno Tome in particular can light everything on fire. But they'll be hard pressed to survive unless the Swift Attackers are peeled off by an allied model with Provoke.

Clearly someone hasn't checked out the Unicorn... :devil:

(Blink 22" across the table and do 3 points of damage, all on Turn 1)

What use are the elves and their unicorns.... all conditioned hair and glittery cheeks. Give me a smelly, hairy, muscle bound dwarf any day. Tell me who you'd rather have beside you in a brawl?

Besides, here's further proof that Dwarves are cooler than unicorns. There was a Unicorn in one Harry Potter movie and it died. And there was a Dwarf in all three Lord of the Rings movies and it survived! So there :P

Actually, it's good that the Elves have their blink unicorns. It'll give them a chance when they go up against a hard as nails army like the Dwarves.

*scampers off to check out the Unicorns stats ::P:

The Elf player at my store calls the Unicorn his "Elven Cruise Missile". I have to say that it's an appropriate name.

The Elf player at my store calls the Unicorn his "Elven Cruise Missile". I have to say that it's an appropriate name.

Whisper missile proxy!

Um, I know it's been a while since I've read or watched LotR, but didn't Legolas survive all the way through. Not that it really matters to me, I'm more of a Reven and Overlord kinda guy.

Um, I know it's been a while since I've read or watched LotR, but didn't Legolas survive all the way through. Not that it really matters to me, I'm more of a Reven and Overlord kinda guy.

Last I checked, Legolas was not a unicorn, though.

I had a chance to play against and with a desert wind army this weekend. If you can keep the calvery moving the swift attack is a very very good tactic. The only thing that could improve upon it is if you could use your single attack in conjunction with your first strike thus negating their chance at hitting you back...granted..bit of cheese there but still would be cool.

Pat,

You can use swift attack and first strike.

First strike only negates defensive strikes if you can achieve a kill with it.

I understand the why Pat would have thought that, especially when first looking at the combining of those rules. To help explain Stubbdog's answer a little better, I'll get more descriptive.

Movement with a swift attack happens before then after the combat portions. When combined with First Strike, it would work out like this:

• Swift Attack Charge
  • Swift Attack + First Strike - Swift attack limits you to one attack.
  • If the enemy has First Strike, he can take his defensive strike here - They can only take one defensive strike against the Swift Attacking model though.
  • Damage from First strike attacks happen - This could kill the model, like Stubbdog says, which would prevent normal defensive strikes.
  • Normal Offensive Attacks happen
  • Normal Defensive Strikes happen - So unless you killed the model, they get to attack you with one defensive strike here.
  • Damage from normal attacks take place, combat ends.
  • The Rest of your Swift Attack movement takes place.

Hope that helps make sense.

Edited by shakhak

With a cavalry based swift attack I would keep a healer in the troop back where they retreat to take care of any wounds received. Ideally a one that can cast an AOE heal in case you get defensive striked badly.

This can also work with foot troops but you are very likely to still be in charge range of your foe. I see foot based swift best used against weakened units or models that have wandered from the pack. Cavalry can do that too, but can also just runaway far enough from most foot troops to be safe from attach.

Playing with and against my elves last weekend. I found the swift attack most useful on the eagle. KLetting him reposition on the board 20" a turn and still get in attacks. Pouncing down on weakened foes on the last turn or so.