Sign in to follow this  
Catlion

Miniature carrying cases

Hi everyone!

Finally I have decided that I need a professional carrying case, the bigger the better. Which ones do you use? What would you recommend?

I use a couple of GW cases - they are pretty solid, and hold a lot more minis for the price than the other cases I have seen.

I am too paranoid to keep mine in pistol cases - they work fine, but guns are a prime theft commodity, while GW mini cases fall firmly under the "Huh?" category for most thieves. I would rather not tempt fate.

Not that this stops me from keeping some of my minis packed into a foam-lined 25mm HEI ammo box, but that never sits in my car, either. :)

I currently use the Battle Hive for my CAV minis, and it seems to be filling up fast. It does the job though, and I like the hard sides. It also fits my books and dice in the handy dandy tray they give you. Overall I like it.

I have the Battle Hive (Best. Purchase. Ever.) for my minis, but strangly, they never seem to get in there. Go Fig. (heh, get it?)

I think that's what I'll do tonight, clear up the 'Painted' minis shelf and put them away.

--LSH

I've been thinking about getting one of these myself; the theory bein that if my minis are mobile, perhaps I'll go to the game, rather than trying to round up games to bring home.

What is this "Hive Box" though?  Not heard of it.  I've seen the GW box in real life, but not the Army Transport.  Are the two comparable?  What are some differences?

I have thought of simply building my own from tool or fishing tackle boxes, but never quite get around to it.

I think the Battalion Transport by Sabol is the largest of the "commercially available" cases. It holds 20" of trays (of the same type as the army transport) Has a telescoping handle and roller blade wheels on the bottom, so you can pull it like the luggage that it is. and has a shoulder strap and some front pockets.

Only thing I don't like is that mine leans forward when setting on its legs/wheels. So I have to make sure it's leaning against something when filled up.

I think the only place that sells them is The Warstore

Reaper sells the trays as well in the store.

I have thought of simply building my own from tool or fishing tackle boxes, but never quite get around to it.

That is probably a good idea, and I certainly have thought about it. I have enough foam, enough glue...but everytime I buy a Plano tacklebox I end up filling it with spinnerbaits and topwaters and jigs, not orcs and dwarves and giant apes.

On the other hand, I make extensive use of Plano 3600 stowaway boxes as "bits boxes" and storage for unblistered and yet-to-be-filed minis. They sell them pretty cheap at big sporting goods stores, and they work really well for unpainted minis. For painted, well, these specific ones are not a good idea even if you foam-line them.

What is this "Hive Box" though?  

Battle Hive by Crystal Caste.

these are okay.  we have two, filled with the our D&D minis(DHL/RalPartha/whatever).  I use the Army Transport (from Reaper Store, pictures there) for my CAV.

I have extra trays for both so I can pick and choose what stays on the shelf and what goes gaming.

I would recommend either.

But the frugal me thinks there is nothing wrong with the make your own option from the tackle box.  

I also have a box I line with a foam sheet, add my pieces(CAV, Dragon, Pegasus), then dump loose foam squares in and top with another sheet of foam for transporting things not cut into trays in the Hive or AT.

The best solution for you may not be the best solution for everyone else, it really depends on your needs, is this a weekly game transportation, is this storage at home, is this a dozen DHL or a dozen CAV or a dozen Warlords.  Each answer would have different solutions IMO.

cbs :upside:

So where do ya'll get your foam sheets? I can find either really scratchy stuff (bleh) or nice foam only in 1" rolls.  ???

I have the army transport and it works well.  I expecially like the customizable trays.  That really comes in handy, expecially now that Reaper has been making more different and oddly sized minis lately.

I was torn between the transport and the beehive when it first came out, but I noticed that the beehive isn't as big as the transport.  But the hard caseing is nice.  So it's whatever you'd prefer.

You can order additional trays from their site.

I don't remember their url tho.