Miniature carrying cases

Catlion

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For egg crate style foam /\/\/\/\/\ go to the bed secton of the department store and buy a foam bed cushion. they will be about 6' x 4' for a fair price. My sorta local Hancock fabrics sells 1/4 inch flat oam sheets as well.

EDIT here is how i make a mini case:

attachment.php?attachmentid=7757&stc=1.jpg

http://www.enworld.org/forums....7&stc=1

Stuff you need:

closing tool box or bin

a several sheets of cardboard  cut to slightly smaller than the bin

several sheets of 1/4" foam or bed cushion / egg crate foam

a few sheets of 1" or 1.5" thick foam [optional]

masking tape

Box lid

Extra foam for stability

Cardboard

1/ 4"Foam sheet

Minis {Small minis on 20MM bases/ pennies , Rats, Ratmen Gobbo's, dogs

1/4"Foam sheet

Cardboard

1/ 4"Foam sheet

Minis ( Medium Minis on 1 inch washers and bases)

1/4" Foam sheet

Cardboard

1/ 4"Foam sheet

Minis (Big 40mm based minis, Reaper  Ettin, Chainmail Owlbear, Ogres and Minotaurs)

1/4"Foam sheet

Cardboard

1/ 4"Foam sheet

Minis {Calvary;1"x2" bases, Orcs on Dire wolves, Bretonian Knights on Horseback}

1/4"Foam sheet

Cardboard

1/ 4"Foam sheet

Minis {cheap sturdy plastic minis from box sets.}

1/4" Foam sheet

bottom of box.

Masking tape should be strong enough to hold the foam layers in place to the cardboard. Take a 5 inch piece of the tape. Connect the two end to make an O and use the tape piece as you would use double sided tape. For extra STR. I have two layers of cardboard taped together for each cardboard layer.

The design above is good for decently built and properly sealed minis but if you don't want a lot of pressure put on certain fragile minis, like a lot of the WotC multi pieces or a mini that has a lot of easily bent parts try this;

Take a 1 inch or 1.5" thick layer of foam the same size as one of your layers  and cut out with a sharp blade a nook for a fragile mini. Keep doing this until you have filled the sheet with nooks for fragile minis.

1" foam sheet with minis in nooks [Chainmail glaiver, musketeers with pewter rapiers]

1/4"Foam sheet

Cardboard

I use GW figure cases for GW armies, and I have many Army Transport cases for CAV's, GW stuff and other assorted games.

I picked up a Battalion Transport at Origins, and it truly is a Battalion Transport.... I've a battalion of CAV's (50 CAV's) in there, plus infantry and gunships.

The only thing I don't like about the Sabol cases (AT and BT) is the soft sides. But they're very versatile cases anyway.

However, the Battalion Transport isn't the largest out there, by far. I've seen several which are larger, one which is twice as big as a BT case, and retails for about $150 US... I just can't find it anywhere (saw it at Origins).

I'd heartily recommend Army Transport ot Battalion Transport to anyone with lots to carry.... they really are huge.

So where do ya'll get your foam sheets? I can find either really scratchy stuff (bleh) or nice foam only in 1" rolls.  ???

I have this problem as well.  Cases are easy to find, they're all over the place.  It's the foam that's hard to find.  I don't like the egg crate style foam, I prefere the "pick-n-pluck" stuff that comes in the Army Transport or Battle Hive.  I've found places online that sell it but ya gotta buy it in bulk, esp if you want it pre-cut.

If anyone finds a place that has it for cheap that sells to the public LET ME KNOW!  :O

I've checked out the website on BattleHive, and I'm sorry to say that this case probably won't be too great for CAV's... I like mine standing up (personal preference I guess) and they're in the 2.5" to 3" height bracket. If you lay them down then it'll work, but as I said, I prefer them to be standing up in my case.

Looks like a great case though, I especially like the hard sides and the bits tray. And I like the price as well :o)

So where do ya'll get your foam sheets? I can find either really scratchy stuff (bleh) or nice foam only in 1" rolls.  ???

I have this problem as well.  Cases are easy to find, they're all over the place.  It's the foam that's hard to find.  I don't like the egg crate style foam, I prefere the "pick-n-pluck" stuff that comes in the Army Transport or Battle Hive.  I've found places online that sell it but ya gotta buy it in bulk, esp if you want it pre-cut.

If anyone finds a place that has it for cheap that sells to the public LET ME KNOW!  :O

Have you tried your local fabric stores?  The Hancocks Fabrics in my area carry several kinds and sizes of foam. They usually sell it by the yard and they would probably cut it to custom sizes if you asked.

An upholstry shop is another good place to look.

Rectangle

Width: 48 in

Depth: 72 in

Thickness: 0.25 in

3002ch   $11.70      

3002bl   $11.70   

CD30   $13.20   

Y37ch   $4.08   

Y33   $3.75   

CD100   $6.96   

Rebond   $17.88

CD100 Packing Foam

This firm foam has a density of 1.8 lbs/ft3. It is very rigid when thicker than five inches. Available in gray.

Y33 Packing Foam

A light-weight foam of medium firmness. It comes in a light grayish-white color. Y33 is a 1 lb/ft3 foam.

3002 Foam

(Also used for sound insulation.) This is "Ester" foam—which is an anti-static foam. This makes it is ideal for packing electrical equipment like cameras. It is available in charcoal gray (3002ch) or blue (3002bl).

Y37ch Foam

Y37ch (discount) packing foam has a density of 1.2 lbs/ft3, and is gray in color.

CD30 Foam

CD30 is the standard for anti-static foam. It is even more effective than 3002 Ester foam. This foam is pink in color, and has a density of 1.4 lbs/ft3 with a 30 ILD.

Rebond Foam/Carpet Pad

Rebond foam is made from recycled foam. It has an 8 lbs/ft3 density and is very firm when thicker than three inches.

Not bad at all, shame they dont seem to have the perferation option...

and here is the caveat on shipping BTW

Special item notes: Y37ch acoustic foam and Y33 packing foam are very inexpensive. However, because they are very light foams which take up a lot of space, you will sometimes pay almost the same in shipping for these items as you will for the items themselves. Also, please note that pillows can be large for their weight. Large orders of pillows shipped to the Midwest or to the East Coast may be subject to oversize shipping charges.

Please remember that the UPS Ground Delivery shipping rate we provide is an estimate only. The actual shipping price can be affected by the following:

There is a $3 handling fee for each package.

UPS adds approximately $30 to each oversize box (exceeding 84 inches in combined length and girth).

We vacuum-pack large foam pieces to avoid the oversize charge for an additional $5 handling fee (note that we will choose the least costly method for shipping your items).

Any package containing over $100 worth of merchandise will be insured, at $0.35 per $100.

Here is my VHS mini case

box.gif

Myself, I use tackleboxes, or those compartmentalized clear plastic boxes from the hardware store for storing nails and screws. I prefer the kind with removable inner walls, so I can make the pockets bigger. I line them with with pillow fluff like you get at the crafts department of walmart ™.

I don't bother to line the unpainted ones, though.....is that bad?