Sign in to follow this  
Lyn

Kara Foehunter

Heres another commission that I have finished for the same gaming buddy.

The symbols on her armor I tried to paint in NMM. ( it was my first attempt, so be gentle) lol

In the name of awesomeness, please vote and support your fellow mini artists ::D:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/228865

post-5554-1249728651_thumb.jpg

post-5554-1249728704_thumb.jpg

post-5554-1249728814_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Lyn, I've found Kara to be one of the hardest-to-paint figures in the Reaper line..so many belts and buckles! You did very well on her.

Now I know almost NOTHING about photography, but having seen your minis at Reapercon, I know that your pictures are not conveying the smoothness of your painting. The photos just look a bit grainy and dark. Better pictures would get you the scores I feel you deserve on C'MON.

Looking forward to more dwarves. Ursala and her bear were a treat as well!

Nice work. I really like her backside. Allot of detail in there & you picked out the various items nicely.

Lyn, I've found Kara to be one of the hardest-to-paint figures in the Reaper line..so many belts and buckles! You did very well on her.

Now I know almost NOTHING about photography, but having seen your minis at Reapercon, I know that your pictures are not conveying the smoothness of your painting. The photos just look a bit grainy and dark. Better pictures would get you the scores I feel you deserve on C'MON.

Looking forward to more dwarves. Ursala and her bear were a treat as well!

Thank you! ::):

Oh yea with the recent photography of my minis: my sis is here visiting and OMG, she has this super-duper, digital camera! lol

When she takes pics of minis, it picks up such small details that it you end up seeing the smallest dings that you missed in the paint job that the naked eye doesnt pick up. It's just crazy! lol

I will be back to my regular "mediocre" digital camera. lol

Thanks everyone for all your comments and positive feedback. ::D:

Nice job, Lyn! All of the detail is good, and you've kept the color scheme very simple, which is nice. The base looks great too.

My only critique is that you should try to fix the right eye. The left eye looks great, but it looks like you were having a bit of trouble with right one.

There are a lot of painters with tutorials out there on eye painting, and several on this site that are better at it than me, but I'm going to include a couple of simple images I just did in Microsoft Paint that illustrate what I'm talking about. My apologies in advance if this is stuff you already know. There may even be an eye tutorial already posted on the boards. I haven't checked yet.

Here goes...

You want to make the iris span from the top lid to the bottom, and more of it needs to be covered by the top than the bottom. There needs to be a slight over-lap where it is covered by both lids. Here's the example I'm talking about:

Goodeye.bmp

Here are a couple of examples of things to avoid:

Badeyes.bmp

In the first "bad" example, you have the majority of the curve on the bottom edge of the eye, and it just doesn't look right. The second example (although poorly drawn with my limited computer graphics skill) shows the "beady eye" syndrome; you don't want to dot the iris, with white showing all around it. It makes the mini look like he's on amphetamines or something!

Mind you - you can make small adjustments to make a mini appear to be looking in a particular direction if you want. Try to nail down correct eyes first, though.

These are just the basics. There are folks on here like Fieldarchy, Derek and Jennifer Haley that paint eyes on a higher level than me, for sure. They get in to painting the iris, pupil and sparkle in the eye, and some of their examples blow me away. I haven't tried to get that detailed as of yet, but their examples are inspiring me to step up to the next level.

Lyn, I'm only responding like this because it looks like you're coming along very well. These are just constructive tips that I hope you'll find useful and they're not meant to tear you down in any way. Sometimes it's hard through e-mail or chat boards to tell how someone will react.

If anyone (Like DEREK or FIELDARCHY...) wants to jump on the bandwagon and add too this, it might be nice...

This is very nicely done, I think your best. I've got this one and I hope I can paint it half as good. The NMM is good for a first attempt, I gave up on the tehcnique, it was too fustrating to spend all of that time painting everything else, only to ruin it with an attempt at NMM.

John

A couple of criticisms:

- Lighten up your pics. We can't see how well you've painted if the picture looks like it was shot in the dark with the lens cap on. :rolleyes:

- Listen to gowestover. He's covered the basics of painting eyes, and practice will make perfect.

If you have a much steadier hand, then you may also want try drawing the iris (and maybe even the pupil too!) using Micron pens. Personally, I don't like the color selection offered by the Micron pens for eye color, so I've actually used ultra-fine Sharpies to great effect. I wouldn't recommend this for everyone, and even I have to... well... "steady my hand with some green stuff" (and I don't mean Kneadatite). <_<

*ahem*

Hopefully you haven't gotten to the point where you need to do what I do when painting, and that the super-ultra-fine drawing will work for you. I've seen it look hideous, and I've seen a mini where I had to take off my glasses to see the extreme detail hand-drawn on to it. If you like it and can do it, it will save you so much time and stress when painting it's not even funny.