Mousekiller's Empire Army

A little more work done on Luthor this week, mainly his robes and the wax.

And, started up the next Knights Panther.

I did not get any work done on Ogres or Dwarves this week (sorry), but I will try to get something meaninful done on them before the week is out.

Ironlord: Steal away mate.

Edited by mousekiller

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I am no longer in the comforts of my own home and am travelling, so you will have to excuse the length of time since the last update. In any case, these three are mostly done- the base still needs a little love, the faces need another highlight, and the wood still needs to be done. Anything else you would recommend?

Edited by mousekiller

I really like what you are doing with this army. I agree with others about the basing - I look forward to seeing your tutorial on how you do it.

Also, added some decoration to Luthor's robes, but I am not sure that I like it.

I agree. The decorations are too dress-like. Perhaps something more geometric or marshal?

I *finally* did a little work on the horse, deciding to go with more of a white color. The tail and hair and snout will be a bit darker (either dark brown or black, haven't decided yet). Also, got rid of the horrid designs that were on his skirt, I think a straight red will probably be much better on him then anything else. If anyone has any good ideas on something to do with the hem, maybe?

Pogre: Thanks mate, I really appreciate that. Maybe some interlinking L shapes across the hem?

Edited by mousekiller

Also, got rid of the horrid designs that were on his skirt, I think a straight red will probably be much better on him then anything else. If anyone has any good ideas on something to do with the hem, maybe?

Either a greek key (http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/greekkey/keys.htm) or roman ivy hem or maybe a braid pattern to match the hair of the horse?

Ok guys, not much of an update, but I have been really busy with work lately. Here is a quick shot of th espearmen as they are now, still quite a bit of work to nbe done on them before they are complete.

post-2668-126797502403_thumb.jpg

Renowyth: Thanks for the link, I will be looking into that to see if anything will fit nicely into the hem...

Ok, so here we go with Luthor again. I really want him to look a bit better then my normal rank and file troops, and I want to finish him soon... so, these will be the last WIP photos of him. What does that mean... well, blast away with the critiques already people... no time for dawdling (had to look that one up to check the spelling.. lol)...

Edited by mousekiller

Well guys, I think we will finally call Luthor done. I highlighted his face a bit more, added some blood streaks to his head, highlighted the tail a little more, did some base work, and a few other little tid bits. I have to say, this model was a royal pain to actually paint. The horses head is pretty cool, but the Luthor model is just... well, was a pain. Anyway, he is done, for better or worse. On a side note, the scripture over the horses eyes says "See no evil" and one of the scriptures on his side says REPENT. The rest is just scribble. Enjoy and throw me a vote if you get a chance.

VOTE AT CMON: Luthor Huss

post-2668-12724141864787_thumb.jpg

post-2668-12724141939208_thumb.jpg

post-2668-12724142016378_thumb.jpg

post-2668-12724142085645_thumb.jpg

I am getting closed to finished on that last rank of handgunners, but in the meantime I pulled this Wizard off the shelf of things done a few years ago. I did not do much new to him, except modify the base a little (added the dark spots around the flames and painted the sides of the base with walnut). During the original modelling, I had shaved all the saddle bits off of him and added all the flames with green stuff.

Anyway, hope you like!

CMON: ANGUS FIERBRAN

post-2668-0-15549200-1326815337_thumb.jpg

post-2668-0-40470800-1326815349_thumb.jpg

post-2668-0-86996900-1326815361_thumb.jpg

So, lets see, what else is on the table:

Empire: Finishing the last rank of handgunners, likely the next 24 to 48 hours.

Dwarfs: Finishing the last rank of Slayers, likely the next 24 to 48 hours.

Orcs and Goblins: Started the weapon bits on Skarsnik. Still working the scales on Gobbla (what a pain they are proving to be).

Beasts: Started the test model, still not convinced on the skin color.

Mortals of Chaos: Finished basing the third rank of marauders. Ready for priming.

Ogres: Still working up the first rank (mostly on that huge banner... )

Demons: Pulled a model from the shelf to help me think about finishing what I once started...

Vamps: Sick of skeletons... maybe this months new release will get me rolling again.

Skaven: Trying hard not to think about them... but getting inspired by the Forge World model.

Assembly: Forge World Theodore Bruckner and Reaper (this model comes with a mounted and dismounted version... was disappointed to find that the mounted version is missing both arms and the rear part to the saddle... going to have to email Forge World), Forge World Skaven Brood Horror with Warlord (very stunning and massive model), Herald of Tzeentch on Flying Disk.

I have to take a minute now to talk about the various types of casting. Obviously metal alloy casts will always be my favorite to paint for painting purposes, but have always proven to be a pain in coverting and pinning. The models coming out now in plastic are pretty spectacular, and pretty nice to paint as well. Some of the newer techniques don't seem as appealing to me, the materials used in both Forge World models (though these are not HORRIBLE but do require lots of trimming) are not too bad, but the material being used in the new Finecast models from GW seem to be a bit annoying (and quite limp when it comes to the weaponry). Ranting done. On a side note, I was browsing through some reaper stuff this morning and thought I saw a newer model from the Warlord range that looked to be cast in plastic. Any confirmation on this?

Edited by mousekiller