Pathfinder RPG news

Hedgehog

Really? I thought you weren't allowed to like both Pathfinder and 4th ed.

Ishil

Well, from what I've seen so far I prefer original 3.5e to Pathfinder... does that count?

But yeah we should totally hunt down any fans of both and inform them how desperately and horribly wrong they are. Jerks.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? I thought you weren't allowed to like both Pathfinder and 4th ed.

Ishil

Damn, than I am really screwed, since I am playing in three 3.5 campaigns, I am Joining a Pathfinder campaign, and play in a 4e campaign. And just to really throw a wrench in the works, I am also playing in a Mutants and Masterminds game.

Apparently I am just a systems whore. I will play with anything that gives me enjoyment and pleasure.

Erk: It wasn't a remark regarding your personal taste. It was over your claim that all the players in your area had ditched an okay roleplaying game for one that's generaly considered to be inferior.

Dude, once again, I said no such thing nor made any sweeping claims about trends or preferences.

I can see where the confusion came from. I missread your post (unless you went back and editted it :p).

When I read it yesterday I could've sworn it said :

The two aren't exclusive: most gamers I know are 4e gamers now and enjoy both versions.

See what's happened there?

Although since you've been so antagonistic over it I wouldn't put it past you to have gone back and changed your post but it's no big deal :p.

Do we really need to continue lobbing shots at each other? If you do, why don't you take it to PM's or somewhere else, because it's rather tiresome.

You think 4e sucks. You don't.

We get it.

Those are your opinions.

Not everyone shares them.

Build a bridge and get over it.

I should point out that I Play in a 4e campaign, DM a 4e campaign, am DMing a Pathfinder campaign, and am begging one of my players to run his AD&D Ravenloft when any of my current 3 games ends.

I hadn't realized I had to hate every edition but one. My mistake. I will roll d100 tonight and determine which edition I am allowed to play.

::(:

Inspired by the news of the new Pathfinder minis line, I surfed over to the Piazo website last night just to look around. Now, I have not been involved with "AD&D" since back in the old TSR days. So, I know little about the differences in versions 3, 3.5 and 4, or what any of the controversy between them might be.

I eventually drifted away from D&D, and dabbled with a couple other systems before sticking with GURPS, which I still like, so I wasn't really looking for another system right now. After browsing their website, though, I noticed that they were offering a PDF of the core rule book (equivalent to the D&D DMG and PM) for only $10, so I thought why not? ^_^

I've just had a chance to skim through the books so far (after all, its over 500 pages!) but I'm acutally pretty impressed with what Piazo has done so far. Not sure if I'm ready to jump from GURPS to Pathfinder, but it was certainly worth a look.

P.S. I can't wait to see some more of the Pathfinder character art work transformed into miniatures! Great stuff! :wub:

Erk: Seriouslky? I pitty you. Seriously. I do. Most of the 3rd ed players I know refuse to play 4th edition because it's that bad. In fact I think I only know 1 guy who likes 4th edition. Most gamers refer to Pathfinder as "the game fourth edition should have been."

Really? Everyone I know has thrown 3.5 in the back closet and switched, because 3.5 was that bad.

I have to second the "game 4th ed should have been" for Pathfinder. I was just thinking it myself while leafing through it again (haven't bought it yet) at my local FLGS, when some guy said almost those exact same words over my shoulder.

Still a lot of divisiveness in my neck of the woods. 4th still seems to have taken off mainly with youngins and with the people at the FLGS, who basically are forced to play it so they can sell it. They're making the Pathfinder much more high profile in the stores, through, which to me, says something about where their personal loyalties lie.

Christ on a crutch. Are people still arguing over this? I'm finishing a 3.5 campaign right now that has gone all 20 levels. First time I've done that with a campaign in 25 years. I love 3.5, but after months of gigantic high-level stat blocks and having to keep the PHB, MM AND DMG open in front of me as DM (or at least have 3 or 4 tabs up on my browser of pages from d20srd.org) just to run a combat, then roll dozens of attacks from monsters then roll damage, look up spells, then wait for my players to run through their huge spell lists, roll 5 attacks, add up massive amounts of damage from all those attacks...etc etc ad nauseum...I'm looking forward to DM'ing 4e.

I've started writing the new campaign and following the guidelines in the DMG makes it a snap to put together encounters. Making new monsters and npc's is way easier too. I also love classifying the monsters by what they do and what purpose they have rather than type.

I've flipped through Pathfinder, and it seems to do some good things with the d20 system, but the fundamental flaws of low level play (pc's made of glass) and high level (so much work to run it's not fun) are still present. Played at 4th-12th level I'm sure it's just as fun as 3.5 was, but 4e seems to keep the "sweet spot" of challenge vs ability the whole way through.

I've flipped through Pathfinder, and it seems to do some good things with the d20 system, but the fundamental flaws of low level play (pc's made of glass) and high level (so much work to run it's not fun) are still present. Played at 4th-12th level I'm sure it's just as fun as 3.5 was, but 4e seems to keep the "sweet spot" of challenge vs ability the whole way through.

Interestingly, my PF group is just finishing up the "Curse of the Crimson Throne" adventure path and we're all currently at 14th level. We may or may not see level 15 by the end. I'm not the DM so I'm not sure if this was intended by the folks at Paizo or not. But it definitely is exciting because, lemme tell you, my PC (14th Level Celestial Bloodline/Evoker Sorceress) makes me giddy with joy every time she tosses off a Disintegrate for 100+ points of damage. She's totally full of win and I can't wait to play her in the final encounter.

Erk: Seriouslky? I pitty you. Seriously. I do. Most of the 3rd ed players I know refuse to play 4th edition because it's that bad. In fact I think I only know 1 guy who likes 4th edition. Most gamers refer to Pathfinder as "the game fourth edition should have been."

Really? Everyone I know has thrown 3.5 in the back closet and switched, because 3.5 was that bad.

I have to second the "game 4th ed should have been" for Pathfinder. I was just thinking it myself while leafing through it again (haven't bought it yet) at my local FLGS, when some guy said almost those exact same words over my shoulder.

Still a lot of divisiveness in my neck of the woods. 4th still seems to have taken off mainly with youngins and with the people at the FLGS, who basically are forced to play it so they can sell it. They're making the Pathfinder much more high profile in the stores, through, which to me, says something about where their personal loyalties lie.

Still a lot of divisiveness all around. For a lot of gamers that grew up on D&D, the game paralleled (IMHO) the development of a lot of gamers. When 3e hit, I think a lot of D&D players, that had initially started as kids in the early-to-mid '80s, were starting to hit their late 20's and early 30's, and were looking for a bit more from the game. I think 3e hit at a time and satisfied their desire for a more complex game with more options. However, 4e bucked the trend, and created a much more self-contained game, with options limited only to the "good" ones (no Elven Ftr/MUs for you, or at least not the way they were in the old days). For someone just getting into gaming, this might be the way to go...

Or not...

The last paragraph above makes me curious. I went on record (both on my blog and here on the forum) that I believe 4e caters to casual play rather than the "hard core grognard" gamers (of which I include myself, happily), but maybe the real target audience isn't the 30-somethings (my group) but the teen-somethings, hearkening back to the old days of D&D.

Damon.