Sign in to follow this  
Warwick

Band Armies

Is is legal to field an army without any Leaders? I can build a 1K Necropolis force with Banded Gargoyles, Zombies, and Burrowing Zombies. Toss in Grave Horror and Bone Horror, some Musicians and Standards and we have an army. But is that legal? The limits in the book say if I have 3 leaders I have to have a Captain or Warlord. But this army has no leaders. I don't see why it isn't legal, just a little strange.

How are you doing the troops then? I don't have my rules at hand and I can't access the reaper games site from work but the size of the troop is defined by the leader. Since I can't see the SAs for these guys I'm going to say that's an illegal build but I'm sure someone with rules would give a more definitive answer.

It's all about the Band ability. Any Band model can have 3-6 of itself in a troop without a Leader. But I'm starting to think it's illegal for a different reason. Solos! You can't have more Solos than Leaders, so in a Leader-free army you can have no Solos. Maybe.

I don't think that will be the intention of the game designer although it may be fun to field one. A totally mindless army. One has to figure out how to direct them in the right direction to reach the enemy.

I'm fairly sure that you can't.

Look up the Mob ability.

It allows you to field a type of unit without a leader.

Wouldn't be that special of an ability if anyone could do it.

Warwick, you in fact did answer your own question correctly.

Athough you could have 2 banded troops with no leaders and be legal, it also specifically says in there that their ability to act as a "sergeant" only in terms of that troop, but not in terms of anything else, so therefore, you would not be able to field any solos if you did not have any true leaders in your army build.

Band no longer mention sergeants. It's fairly straight forward now. You get a troop of 3-6 models that have no Leader. So I think you can field an all Band army, but not with Necropolis. Reven and Darkspawn probably. And you won't have any Solos, darn the luck.

I'd toss in some sweet fighter leader and use Malek as the Necromancer of the undead Horde. Gives you a solo, too! Bone Horror perhaps?

What? Take Malek over a Vampire? Not on my watch!

Bone Horror...maybe...once I find a good replacement for the current model. Just not to my taste.

There's some hot vampires in there, that's to be sure. And Malek's hardly your top caster. But he just looks so good! How can you pass up that model? And he's not even Undead!! How sick is that?? Besides some monsters, demons, constructs, it's just Malek and the chattel that are in the entire army that aren't undead. aka, human, living, potential snacks for vampires. And the chattel are just that, mobile snacks. Malek? He's earned his place in the ranks of the warrior mages of Thule without being dead already. He's GOT to have something going for him, right??

As has been stated, you need Leader models to take Solos.

If you want a 1000 point Band army, try Darkspawn:

Darkspawn - 1002 points

Troop 1

Demon Imp x 6

Troop 2

Ice Demon x 6

Troop 3

Isiri Arachnid Archer x 6

Troop 4

Isiri Arachnid Warrior x 6

Troop 5

Spawn of Mashaf x 6

::D:

As has been stated, you need Leader models to take Solos.

If you want a 1000 point Band army, try Darkspawn:

Darkspawn - 1002 points

Troop 1

Demon Imp x 6

Troop 2

Ice Demon x 6

Troop 3

Isiri Arachnid Archer x 6

Troop 4

Isiri Arachnid Warrior x 6

Troop 5

Spawn of Mashaf x 6