Space Hulk Re-release

wyrmgear

My understanding is that the old boards and the new ones are not compatible. I saw the advance copy yesterday at one of our FLGS and it is beautiful - definitely worth the price tag. The new boards are pretty thick (and embossed) and look very nice. I don't know if the old boards were that hefty or not. But there is no reason why you couldn't still use the old boards and make up a scenario where parts of the ship are cut off from each other. I am very eager to try this game out!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up my copy from the post office this morning, and it is waiting at home for me to unwrap it! From looking at a store copy, it seems that the board pieces should fit, but will be thicker, but I will need to give this a go over the weekend - and I have a LOT of board piece from previous editions to get a big game set up! ::o:

If you like Space Hulk, and you can find a copy, try Legions of Steel. There's a box up on ebay at the time of writing.

Is it your Legion of Steel box?

There is no way my Legions of Steel box is EVER going on Ebay. However, 2 boxes, plus all the expansions, plus 3 armies big enough for tabletop play (only need 2 squads or so for the boardgame) means that while I still check out Legions of Steel auctions, I can't justify bidding. For now.

Got mine this afternoon in the mail. Thing is HEAVY. The boards/tiles are not compatible with the old ones... jeez, these new ones are heavy and tough enough to repel small caliber weapons fire... and the models are SWEET. Way different from the boxed Terminators or Genestealers.

In the past, GW has put me off their games by way of (a) failure to support, or (b) the curse of changed rules every few years that invalidates my army. I like the idea of a boardgame that ain't gonna get totally rearranged in a few years by rules changes or weird supplements...

However, 2 boxes, plus all the expansions, plus 3 armies big enough for tabletop play

That was Planetfall, wasn't it?

Yeah, it was Planetstorm. It was good fun, but had severe balance issues. Those mostly got sorted out (you need to join the yahoogroup for Legions of Steel to get the revised costs) but I use Defiance: Vital Ground for tabletop.

OK, so Chaoswarlord and I played our first game of Space Hulk tonight - or rather, my first game, as he had the original version and the expansions and had played it many times before. It is sweet - the models are beautiful, the board tiles are beautiful, it was easy and fast to play. We went through the first scenario in the book in under an hour. His Terminators certainly kicked my genestealers butts, though I put up a heck of a fight. We're going to switch sides and play through it again. Wow! I got my 40K fix and it didn't take all day! :poke:

Well, the minis are cool, but the 'stealers do have issues with scale creep. Even if you clipped away enough of the integral bases to get them to fit on a 1” slotta base just about all the minis some overhang issues on 1" round bases. Genestealers in W40K are supposed to be on 25mm bases, except for Genestealer Brood lords, whose basing standard is 40mm base (smidge over 1.5”). But the damn things are grabbing all over the place so 40mm bases would not look that bad at all

In recent editions Space marine Terminators do officially deploy on 40MM bases, so their size is par for the course.

But the board game's spaces look like 1.25" squares, so if the figs get 40mm bases, they won’t fit well on the game board.

Related thread Basing Models on Standard 40k Bases - WarSeer

Also, some of the GS models seem to have the lower arm of the Stealer disappear into the warp. If the limbs were supposed to be lost to battle damage and had stumps or something, that would be o.k., but they look like the sculptor just took the limb off to make it easier to cast and hoped no one would notice. :/

Models on the right side of the picture

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/D...090904-1736.jpg