Sign in to follow this  
Kang

03405: Black Orc Hero

Hey,

I recently picked up 03405: Black Orc Hero, and I am thinking about converting him a bit so as to represent Kang, the ferocious 1/2 orc barbarian PC I've been playing for several years in my friend's D&D 3.5 FR campaign. He's actually a baron these days, but it doesn't seem to have civilized him at all.

In terms of things I would like to add or change about this mini to make it more... Kangy:

My PC has hair, for one thing. He also wears a cloak made from the pelt of a shadow mastiff which he slew and later had made into a cloak of resistance (although I imagine it as looking fairly crude, like an intact pelt he just ties on somehow), and later still had a pocket added to it which acts as a bag of holding. His breastplate is made of red dragon scales. And he likes to keep teeth/talons as trophies from all his kills that posed a decent challenge, which he adds to necklaces or otherwise uses to adorn his gear. There are a few other little details, but these are the ones I am considering adding/changing on this mini, if it seems like it's not going to be overwhelming. So far my conversion/sculpting experience is limited to bulking up bases, weapon swaps, and gap-filling with green stuff, so I am hoping some of you out there can provide some advice, tips, links to tutorials, or what have you.

I figure the breastplate on the existing mini could look like it is made of large scales, with a little imagination & some red paint, but I would be happy to hear suggestions for any adjustments I could consider making to enhance this appearance.

Any tips for giving him hair, suggested hairstyles (his hairdo or lack thereof has never come up in-game) & how I might create them, etc.?

Any tips for making the shadow mastiff pelt cloak w/ pocket? Tooth/claw jewelry?

Kang also wields a keen greatsword (the fact this guy wields a 2-handed sword was a factor in choosing him to be my new Kang mini, as was the vaguely scale-shaped-looking breastplate, though I would have bought him anyway just for the awesome sculpt) - anyone think I should do something with the blade to make it look greater or keener? I could certainly live with it as-is, but am open to suggestions.

Oh, and of course if you know of any half-orc (or reasonably human-looking orc) minis that already have gear similar to what I've described, please don't hesitate to let me know! I'd be happy to use a different one if it makes a better Kang & means I don't have to risk messing this mini up...

Thanks,

Kang

Thanks for the link, I hadn't considered this one. Too bad there's no shot of the back, but I can probably find one somewhere if I do a little digging.

Kang

His back has a bunch of outdoor camping/adventuring gear on it

RM

Thanks.

I'm still tempted to try converting the guy I mentioned originally - even if it's just for sculpting practice, plus I already have one & really like the sculpt - though this Kanaag fellow might actually be a better fit for my PC... Gonna have to think about it a bit I guess.

Kang

Yuri, here, has a fur cloak with all sorts of fangs and/or claws in it, in rows. The cloak piece comes separate from the rest of him and he's pretty darned big for a human, so the cloak might adapt well to your original guy.

However, I just discovered that PP has removed him and his various pieces from the parts store. (At least, I'm pretty darned sure he used to be in there.) Probably not worth the cost to buy the whole piece just to get the cloak.

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/galle...os/yuri-the-axe

Oooooooo, very cool idea. Thanks! That guy's cloak isn't quite as I am imagining, being made of several different skins by the look of it (I found a shot of the back that wasn't up on the site you linked), and I am not sure whether or not the cloak might interfere with the positioning of my existing mini's sword, but it is a far cry from inappropriate for my PC, especially given all those claws and fangs attached to it, if that's what those are; I will keep it in mind for sure, if I decide not to try sculpting something.

I am also considering trying to hack the fur cloak off of my Thorgram, Dwarf Warlord mini since it is fur and still has the claws attached, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to get off without taking half the rest of the mini with it, or how hard it might be to remove the excess Thorgram from the cloak itself once the cutting is done, and I'd likekly still end up having to sculp a section or 2 of it to make it a little bigger. Which might actually be sort of fun... As days go by I find I am actually leaning more and more toward trying my hand at sculpting some of these details onto this mini, although as I mentioned the only thing I've ever sculpted before was just carrying a mini's existing textures over tiny greenstuff-filled gaps.

So again, do keep the alternative minis/bits suggestions coming, but note that I am also still hoping to get some sculpting tips as far as fur cloaks, barbarian hair, and teeth-on-a-string necklaces, etc. go. I think maybe I'll start a second thread over in the scultping section for that, come to think of it...

Kang