A new edition strikes again

kristof65

Besides, my forum mates and I were less than happy with the FFG crew over them chiming in on our turf, about their version of our game.

We told them they could pee up a rope.

They're a good games company, but they weren't very tactful about approaching us.

Warzone/Mutant Chronicles, I assume?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope they don't make the same mistake in the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay forums/community.

From the looks of it, they just completely ignored the community, hints of it's existence started leaking out in June, then they announced it at GenCon. From their responses since the announcement, they mostly seem a mixture of defensive about the new edition and an attitude of "STFU, the decision is made, nothing you can do about it - but please buy it." They've been very stingy with information about the new mechanics, too, which isn't helping the situation. Lot's of speculation.

What it looks to me is that someone there had a pet RPG project they decided to tackle by applying it to WFRP. I wouldn't be surprised if the new RPG mechanics were already partially in development for something else prior to them even acquiring the WFRP license.

I've got to admit, it looks sharp. But the custom dice really turn me off. A lot. More so than even the cards and board game components, which I'm not exactly thrilled by. The buy in price point is highly annoying, too. $100 for just the starter set, and it doesn't include even a 1/3rd of the careers in the core WFRP 2e book, which was $39.95.

On one hand, I'm pissed off that they pulled a WotC and 4e. OTOH, since I don't use the WFRP setting, I realized that they did manage to publish everything I need for 2e - the Core book, a Career Compendium, a Bestiary and an Equipment guide. I just picked up the Core book PDF, and I'll take the money I was going to spend on Descent and Runebound this christmas, and use that to buy a few used copies of the 2e core book. With all that, I should be set to run 2e games for a long time to come, and have the resources with which to recruit new players. If I'm lucky, Chris Pramas and/or the crew at Green Ronin will publish the core mechanics as a different game.

I also gotta admit if it wasn't WFRP, but some completely new RPG mechanics tied to an intriguing setting, I'd probably be picking it up. Particularly if it was tied to some IP that hasn't seen a decent RPG system for it yet. But since it's WFRP, and I have more WFRP setting than I want or need, I have no reason to pick it up.

Yup Erion. Warzone it was. I hope this is not a precursor to more games being sent to the dustbin. We've played some WFRP, whatever the last version was, and it was a blast. None of us are interested in a $100 buy in for a new game. We can play WFRP as we have it, or just jump right in with the Savage Worlds rendition of it from a fan produced download and the core rulebook. We wouldn't even need the download at this point.

Like 4.0 with D&D, all things change, and people move on with everything, be it computers, cellphones, relationships, etc. I wish them the best.

FFG has insisted that this change in WFRP won't affect Dark Heresy or Rogue Trader at all, that they have their own independant game systems, with independant development teams. I'm not so sure I believe them. If WFRP 3e is even mildly successful, I don't think they'll be able to resist converting Dark Heresy over to it. The only way I see Dark Heresy staying untouched is if WFRP 3e tanks.

I'm predicting that even though it's caused an edition rift in the WFRP community like the one that occured in the D&D community, that it will still be at least a mild success for FFG, just because of the way they've structured it. And that because of that success, we'll see another FFG license or property - probably Dark Heresy - converted to the system inside 2 years of the release of WFRP 3e.

Oh yeah - gotta warn you about being too smug that Savage Worlds will remain unchanged. During all the edition wars discussion about D&D 4e, I was pretty smug about my preferred RPG, WFRP2e, being so stable and therefore superior. Yeah, well, I was just knocked a peg or two thanks to FFG. I think that probably irritates me more than anything.

On one hand, I'm pissed off that they pulled a WotC and 4e. OTOH, since I don't use the WFRP setting, I realized that they did manage to publish everything I need for 2e - the Core book, a Career Compendium, a Bestiary and an Equipment guide. I just picked up the Core book PDF, and I'll take the money I was going to spend on Descent and Runebound this

I'm feeling somewhat similar. My initial reaction was along the lines of "you don't compete with as bad as 4th edition by copying it. You compete by being better." But this one clearly looks like it's aimed at the world of warcraft/AD&D 4th edition fans :(. Apparently it uses a really complicated dice pool system too. Dice pools, shudders, makes me think of Shadowrun or White Wolf games.

The really bad thing about this is that if it does really badly, there won't be a 4th edition to fix all their misstakes :(.

The really bad thing about this is that if it does really badly, there won't be a 4th edition to fix all their mistakes :(.

Well, we never thought there would ever be a 2nd edition, either, so that's not so bad.

From the comments I've seen around the web in support of WFRP 3e, I don't think it's going to be a total failure. I'm actually more fearful it will be successful, because it will further encourage the "widgetization" of other RPGs.

To me the ideal solution is that it's just popular enough to keep interest in WFRP. but enough of a flop that they try and "fix" things with a 4e that's more in line with the original.

I'm going to remain smug that Savage Worlds engine can power any genre or setting our group can throw at it. We've got the Fantasy Companion, and I don't see Pinnacle making any radical changes to the game.

'Wouldn't care if they did. We've probably got ten years of gaming ahead of us with the present system.