Sign in to follow this  
Kang

looking for sculpting tips

I am looking for any tips or tutorials for sculpting the following:

- Hair (barbarian half-orc hair, to be precise)

- Fur cloak (ie. a shadow mastiff pelt worn as one - thinking it should have legs & tail sticking out & possibly - if not too difficult - using the animal's head for a hood; that sort of thing). Oh yeah, it will also have an inside pocket that was added later.

- Necklaces made of a leather/sinew/etc. thong with various creatures' teeth/claws attached (the character's trophies)

FYI, This is all for a conversion project I'm planning & have already begun discussing in the conversions subforum - turning Black Orc Hero into my PC for a D&D game. Getting suggestions mostly for alternative minis and bits I could use over there, but I have an urge to try my hand at a bit of sculpting.

Thanks, & sorry if this sort of cross-posting is considered poor ettiquette or anything like that.

Kang

Necklace: Roll out a very thin string of Green Stuff (about 30 minutes after you mixed it) with your fingers on a clean sheet of paper. Cut the string to the length you want, or maybe a little longer. Carefully pick up the string by touching the tip of a sculpting tool to it, and stick it to the figure's neck. Wrap it around the neck, lightly press it around the neck/chest, and trim off any excess. Repeat as desired.

Claws & teeth: Take a little glob of putty and roll it on the paper with your finger to make one end narrower than the other. Stick this to the necklace. Repeat as desired. You can cut in a hole or a link (showing how the claw is attached to the necklace) at the top of the claw. You could do this either from the same batch of putty as the necklace or from a second batch (after the necklace has cured).

Fur cloak: First put on a base layer, preferably with a material more rigid than Green Stuff (try mixing 2/3 Brown Stuff or Apoxie Sculpt and 1/3 Green Stuff). After this putty has been curing for 30-45 minutes, roll it out into a thin sheet on a piece of plastic bag or milk carton; cut it to the general overall shape of the flattened cloak/pelt; put it in the freezer for a few minutes until it is hard; take it out and quickly pop it off the plastic; attach the cloak to the figure as the putty becomes warmer and sticky again; move the ends of the cloak to give it some motion. Let this putty harden completely. Trim it to the final shape that you want. If you didn't include the paws/tail the first time, add them with extra pieces of putty and let them harden. The finished surface will be a new layer of Green Stuff over the now-hard sheet -- use various pointed tools to make the indentations between the strands/clumps of fur to create the texture. Compare my Hellborn Paladin: Link Here. If it's a shadow mastiff hide, the texture probably won't be very pronounced. You can add the pocket as another bit of putty after the rest of it is hard.

Bobby Jackson teaches entire 2-hour classes at ReaperCon on the rudiments of sculpting a cloak, so please recognize that it might be hard to pick up the skill from just a paragraph here.... :;):

Hair: See my reply in http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34799 . Add locks of hair from front to back, shape them roughly, and sculpt details after the putty has become slightly firm.

Good luck!

Derek

This is a conversion I was working on. The hair is done with Apoxie and a wet hobby knife. Uncured Apoxie is water soluble, so the wet knife automatically smoothes the cuts.

For the rope holding bones I used string and then coated in super glue. I couldn't get the knot effect I wanted with rolled out putty and when I tried to use thin wire I kept breaking my bones (I didn't know to mix the Apoxie with some Green Stuff).

post-5680-1252164007.jpg

- Fur cloak (ie. a shadow mastiff pelt worn as one - thinking it should have legs & tail sticking out & possibly - if not too difficult - using the animal's head for a hood; that sort of thing). Oh yeah, it will also have an inside pocket that was added later.

:blink: Your DM says: Make a DC 35 skill check ...

Wow, thanks for the awesome replies! I will take some time to digest all this advice & make sure to post somewhere about any "progress" I end up making.

PS. lynnaea: I don't think I'm up to achieving a lot of what I described either, but figured it couldn't hurt (& might attract more feedback) to provide any extra details in describing the D&D character this mini may someday represent. If I somehow manage to sculpt a hide-head-hood that can be identified as such on my first attempt, I assure you that nobody will be more surprised than I!

Thanks again for the replies!

Kang