Help making a small force

SOldcorn

I am quite tempted to create a small "starter" force for Warlord. However due to being in the UK I don't want to order the rulebook and then have to place a later order for minis as I will get shafted on customs taxes, better to just have one order.

So what I am wondering is can some of you kind Americans who have the warlord 2 rules come up with a starter army for me. I would like a force that has a small amount of all elements in the game so that I can see how everything works. The faction I like the look of most is the overlords.

Any help much appreciated.

Stuart

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stuart, you can use the Army Builder and Data Card search engine on ReaperGames to see everything you need to build a troop or army. Then place an order for the minis and rulebook.

Oh, and Gus, here is an awesome idea. Can you get functionality added to the Army builder that allows you move a built army over to the wishlist/shopping cart on the Asylum page?

So you can build an army, click (Buy this Army) and poof, all those models are added to the cart in the Asylum.

Ok, here's a "small" 750 army then that is designed to use the Onyx Legion Doctrine. If you want to play to one of the other Doctrines, your list could be radically different.

Overlords - 741 points

Troop 1

General Matisse

Kevis, Vizier

Moraia, Warbride

Overlord Warrior x 5

Overlord Spearman x 3

Troop 2

Corvus

Overlord Warrior x 3

Overlord Crossbowman x 3

Troop 3

Onyx Golem

This is a basic, no-frills list that includes pretty much all the core concepts for an army; a Warlord, a sergeant, a solo, a caster elite, a melee elite, standard soldiers, support soldiers, and ranged soldiers. What I like about it is that it makes use of an entire army pack of O'lord warriors, and it is a great foundation list to move to larger games (like a 1000 point list). It prices out in the Asylum store at $101.88. You could easily take it to 1000 points by adding someone like Adras or Merack, and a handful of Phalanx or Shadow Legionnaires, and it would only set you back about another $25 or so (Merack and 4 Phalanx would make the list 970 points - room for 30 points of equipment - and the total price would be $126.83).

I'm sure someone else can make recommendations based on one of the other doctrines if the Onyx Legion isn't your style. ::):

~v

Edited by Shakandara

How about this one:

Overlords - 1000 points

Troop 1

Ashkrypt, Lichlord of Craclaw

Bondslave x 2

Overlord Warrior x 4

Overlord Spearman x 4

Troop 2

Andras the Ruthless

Ymrilix the False

Ranthe, Evangelist of Khardullis

Overlord Warrior x 4

Overlord Spearman x 4

Troop 3

Incarnation of Flame

Troop 4

Selthak the Poisoner

Upgrade: Luckstone

To me, Ashkrypt is what the Overlords are all about. The psycho actually had himself made into a Lich so he could outlast his competition for control of Craclaw! Any Overlord army can use any faction doctrine, but of course it makes sense to use the Lich's Bidding doctrine. What that will do for you is essentially make it very tough to take down Ashkrypt. He can toss his soldiers in the way of melee attacks he's suffering. Combine that with his Warlord Ability which is to siphon the life off of a nearby soldier to heal himself, and he's one tough sonofagun. Combine that with a quality defensive stat, and you've got a pretty awesome model!

The list as a whole - Ashkrypt is of course completely amazing as a caster and also as a fighter. The Bondslaves are there to be cheap fodder for Ashkrypt to have take damage for him, or to be siphoned off as either health or spell points. Each troop has four Warriors and four Spearmen. That's a pretty sweet combination that will give you attack bonuses when you fight, and also gives you some options if you know you'll be charged (spearmen to the front, they can damage incoming chargers). Andras and Ymrilix are both very tough models - Ymrilix very much so - and they'll cause your opponent plenty of trouble. Ranthe is a healer and has some spells that will give you some tricks and options during battle. The Incarnation is fast, tough, and like Ashkrypt is equally good fighting in melee or slinging spells. Selthak is an opportunistic attacker who can fight at range or up close, and poisons enemies, which has the chance of doing extra damage. Overall the list focuses on melee fighting, is weaker with ranged attacks but makes up for that with some powerful spellcasting.

Shakandara gave you the price breakdown and I think that's a good idea, so I'll do the same: $136.40 for the lot.

I can't say that either Shakandara or my own suggestion is better or worse. That's the beauty of Warlord, that there's just so many options when you build an army, and so many of the options are really good. It's not the sort of game where there's a handful of options but only one actually good option.

I would encourage you to work on a 1500 point list. That way, it gives you some flexibility for a 1000 pt game. Otherwise, you will be playing the same list over and over again. If you enjoy painting, is there certain figures from a particular fraction that appeals to you the most. If painting is not your favorite but like to give it a try, consider making a army full of mummies or skeletons.

I like the look of the models in the list suggested by Shakandara and while I am sure jdripleys list works well it uses a lot of the same models which for a trial force that shows me various different aspects of Warlord is less good.

that said I am not keen on the onyx golem. What are the restrictions of what can go into a troop, do I need some form of leader in each one?

If you don't like the Onyx Golem (I'm guessing purely on looks), then consider using 2728 (Iron Golem) as a proxy. Or, pick up the Incarnation of Flame instead; it'll put you about 70 points over on that 750 point list, but that just means you can play a little bit with which models you use.

Regarding Troops, in Warlord there are two different kinds. The first is a Troop of Soldiers (like the O'lord Warriors, Spearmen, and Crossbows), which need Leaders (like Matisse and Corvus) to lead them. Solos (like the Incarnation of Flame and the Onyx Golem) are their own special single-model Troop. You can never have more Solos in your army than Leader-led Troops.

Elites are special models (like Moraia and Kevis) that can only be a limited part of a Leader's Troop (and not all Leaders can have Elites in their Troop).

Hope that clears things up. ::):

EDIT: Here's what my earlier list might look like with an Incarnation of Flame added:

Overlords - 750 points

Troop 1

General Matisse

Kevis, Vizier

Moraia, Warbride

Overlord Warrior x 4

Overlord Spearman x 2

Troop 2

Corvus

Overlord Warrior x 3

Overlord Crossbowman x 3

Troop 3