Warlord and the First Grader

vutpakdi

At GenCon, I spent a fair amount of time looking for games that I could play with my 6 1/2 year old son. Found a couple of possibilities, but then I had an inspiration: what about a simplified version of Warlord? He's already got a group of minis that he can use (with proxies).

So, i picked up a couple of battlemats from Paizo.

And made a couple of simple "armies" (about 150 points for him, 110 for me).

We just use the battlemat grid for movement, and we use a simple "I go and then you go" format. I've discarded some rules and SA's, but I've kept others. I can even sell it to "mommy" as "math practice" since I make him add his dice roll to his MAV / RAV and then tell me if it's greater than, equal to, or less than DV. :devil:

So far, it's worked out quite well. He has a good time and usually beats me. Doesn't really understand why I get to have more "army guys" than he does (he has Crusaders, I have the ogre captain, 3 goblin warriors, 2 skeeters), but he has been having fun. I do have to keep up with his ever changing proxies though.

Next up, maybe a dungeon crawl. ::):

Ron

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why wait until 6? My 3 year old is learning her numbers and shapes using a set of D&D dice, 50 mm. I even got a set for my 4 month old, although I will wait until he a little older before he gets them, because he will try to eat em.

Erin knows that Dragons eat Princesses, Orcs are not all bad, and Knights are canned goods.

Edited by Qwyksilver

Little kids are definitely way smarter than most people will give them credit for. And Ron, you are teaching your son some basic math principles, whether your wife truly thinks so or not! :lol: This will only help him when he really starts getting into math as he progresses through school.

Hey Qwyk, I have seen plush d10s for sell on Paizo before. Maybe you need to get some of those for your 4 month old. :devil:

Wild Bill :blues:

The LGS has plush dice. And the Cthulu hand puppets where your fingers go into the squiggly face tentacles. I want to get one for my 1 yr old niece in the worst way but my wife won't let me, haha. I don't know why!!

Math is way more fun to learn in the context of a game. Who really cares what 4+5 is when it's on a sheet of paper? But when your Dwarf is trying to kill a Skeleton, 4+5 becomes REALLY important! My problem, though, is that when I get really excited about a moment in a game, my math-foo leaves me :( So I game with engineers who could compute math even if they were having their leg chewed off by a Reptus.

Or maybe I need to keep one of you guys' 5 year olds around as a human calculator :D

Sadly, my 6 year old son isn't terribly interested in tabletop wargaming in general. He does like some dungeoncrawling action though - lately we've been playing my ancient copy of TSR's "Dungeon!" boardgame and Milton Bradley's Heroquest. He's also started to pester me about actually reading the rules for DOOM so we can play that as well.

My 10 year old daughter on the other hand is getting to be a Nefsokar-loving fiend. Runs with the Tyranids, too.

Little kids are definitely way smarter than most people will give them credit for. And Ron, you are teaching your son some basic math principles, whether your wife truly thinks so or not! :lol: This will only help him when he really starts getting into math as he progresses through school.

Hey Qwyk, I have seen plush d10s for sell on Paizo before. Maybe you need to get some of those for your 4 month old. :devil:

Wild Bill :blues:

They used to have a full plastic tube with a standard set of 7 (just like we used to buy them as kids, just 4ft long), but it is no longer carried. I am very sad, because I was looking for it when Matthew was born.

I've got 6 kids, 5 are boys (age 12 to 17 months). In a few short years I'll have my own personal gaming group. I play mini games with the oldest three boys, the younger two just roll dice for us and the youngest my daughter eats terrain and enjoys tape measures. :D