1. If the Crusaders take the Paladins Doctrine, so all leaders have the free action Lay on hands.

If a leader does this, does it still have to go at the same time as all other casting for that activation?

If a leader is a caster, can he do Lay on Hands as a free action and still cast a spell?

My thinking is free or not, you still have to cast at the same time, and that would preclude a 2nd casting. Is that correct?

2. Question came up yesterday about the Flask of Hellfire. This allows the model to cast Hellfire, as a specialty action.

So is this saying, he can activate the flask as a special action, then cast it with his 2nd action?

Or is this saying the casting is the special action? So he could move and then cast this Hellfire?

And if that is the case, could they cast this as a special action, and then cast another spell? As the first was not a combat action to cast?

3. A question came up about Nauseating. When do you roll for this? When you are ready to do combat? Or as you charge in? If you fail your roll as you charge in, are you free to use some other action, like inspire or cast a spell? Or do you roll as you are declaring you are attacking, thus losing your action?

4. Stealth and Charging. Can you Charge a model you can't "technically" see? Ie, its in stealth or more than 2" in the woods?

Charging, do you declare who is charging whom before you move at all. Or do you just say, I'm charging. Move your full distance, then decide which models you are charging with your final 2-4"?

5. Walls have become kind of an issue. If a model is standing behind the wall, and you can't see them, can you charge them?

Where on the wall do you have to get? Just to the base of the wall? Can you get on top of the wall? Or do you have to get over the wall?

If you are on opposite sides of a wall or fence? Is it harder to hit the opponent? There appears to be no modifiers for terrain?

I know in WL 1, there was a modifier if you were on higher ground. I don't see it, so I'm guessing that is gone?

6. An issue came up about placing a AoE spell. Spell was 3" AoE and what the caster wanted to do was lay it, on a troop in such a way as to intentionally leave the enemy caster out of the AoE. So instead of placing the center, he wanted to place the edge. (the enemy caster was just to the side of the rest of the troop.) Is this legal, or should he place the center and then measure to see if he got it too close or too far away to hit all the others?

7. We were playing a 4 way battle. We used the escalation scenario. We put out 3 templates, and turn 1, worth 1, turn 2-2, etc.. Most models touching the template got the points, if tied, no one got the points. So someone is always left out. Turn 1, we pulled the joker card 1. hahaha. so no points. Anyway, fun game. But the question came up, shooting into combat if both are not friendly? If I target a model in combat, does the enemy he is fighting have to take a shaken roll? I know this is really one of those "house rules" situations not covered. So looking at how some of you would play this. Seems silly I can take 2 pot shots, 1 on each and force both sides to take a Dis check even if I don't hit.

We played it that only friendly models had to take Dis checks as that seemed to be the intent of the rule.

8. Poisoned. What does remaining damage tracks mean, just looking for clarification. If a model has 2 DT.s 0 and 1. Takes a hit and is poisone. So he is on his last DT. When he goes to make his poison roll, does he need a 10 here or a 9? Assuming no toughness, etc..

9. Cleave: Attack check? Is that when you do a combat action, or does it apply to Defensive strikes as well?

Well that is enough for now. Sorry if these are extremely simple and I should just know them by reading the book. There was one more about Assassin, but I think that was answered in another thread, so I'll go read that one.

10. Ok, I swear there was a full discussion on Assassin, and I can't find that thread now. Looking at the book yesterday did not jive with what an opponent was saying in my previous game. If a 2-3 models attacks and kills an enemy. And one of the 2-3 was assassin, and he did a wound. Can the enemy model still make full defensive strikes against the non-assassin models?

Thanks again.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my take on some of these questions, but first I want to address your point between 9 and 10: "...extremely simple and I should just know them by reading the book." The answer here is both yes and no. The answers are in the book, yes, either in part or in full, but there's no shame in asking here on the forums. I think a general rule of thumb is that if you're wondering about a rule, there are many other people also wondering about that rule that are not asking. You become the voice for all of those people when you do ask. I know in the past I've asked questions that I knew the answer to just to get the answer out there on the forums.

Ok. So answers. I'm not an official reaper person. But.

1. Free Action that lets you do something - My interpretation of the rule is that all Fight actions must be delared at the same time, all Shoot actions must be declared at the same time, and all Spellcast actions must be declared at the same time. Free Action is not a Spellcast action, so you do not need to declare it along with your other Spellcast actions - additionally it does not use up a model's Spellcast action so it could use the Free Action to use Lay on Hands and then use the Spellcast action for another spell. That's my take. I'm looking at page28, "Declaring and Conducting Combat Actions" and page 34, Casting Multiple Spells, final sentence.

2. It says in the item description that the action is a Specialty action. So yes, move and then use Specialty to toss the flask. Or stand, toss the flask, then cast a spell.

3. You roll for Nauseating when you charge the target and reach b2b with it. If you fail, you may not perform a Fight action that activation. If you begin the activation in b2b with the Nauseating model - or if you are performing a defensive strike under any circumstances - no roll is needed and you take your attack. So worst cast scenario, you charge in, fail your discipline roll, and can't use a fight action. The Nauseating model activates and attacks you, you take defensive strikes. On your model's next activation, since it didn't move into b2b with the Nauseating model, you get your attacks. I would also think that a model Teleported into b2b with a Nauseating model must pass its check before making any Fight actions.

4. Stealth only applies to ranged attacks, so it would not have any impact on a charge. For the woods thing, somebody else will have to chime in but my gut says if you can make it in, you've got it. As far as declaring, I believe you need to declare all actions before taking them. Charge is not a combat action so you can declare a single model's charge and resolve it completely before moving on to the next target, if you're worried about getting models on specific targets.

5. Walls - somebody else can grab this one

6. I think an AOE that has its center under a model's base must have the center of the AOE be the center of the model's base. If you pick a spot that is not under a model's base, wherever you wish that is also in range/LOS is fine. Remember that any model whose base is clipped by even a small portion of the AOE is hit. See page 34, "Area of Effect" and the illustration.

7. You played it correctly. Models allied with the ranged attacker are demoralized when their buddy nearly kills them with an arrow.

8. In your example, DT 0 is gone and DT 1 remains, so you need a 9.

9. Page 31, top of the second column, item 6, says how to perform defensive strikes, and it references you in particular to this question to step 4, in which a defensive strike involves an Attack Check. So yes, you can cleave on a defensive strike. The same would apply to the Pierce SA.

10. So long as the Assassin model declares a Fight action, hits the target and the target dies, the Assassin SA triggers. Assassin cancels out the Tough SA and makes the Assassin model an illegal target for defensive strikes. Any other model in b2b is a legal target. Note also that the Assassin SA requires the Assassin to make a Fight action, so the SA has no application in defensive strikes.

I'm fairly certain I got these right - chime in if I didn't!

I'd agree with all of the above, except maybe #1--the fact that something is a Free Action shouldn't mean it's not a spellcasting action, it just means that it doesn't use up an action. I don't have the book in front of me though, so don't take my word on that...

All spell casting must be performed at the same time, regardless of the type of action used to perform it.

However, if Lay on Hands is a free action, you could cast Lay on Hands, and then use your other actions to move and attack, for example. Or in the case of a Hospitalier, move out of cover, lay on hands, move back into cover (although since you cannot perform 2 Move actions in the same activation, this second one would be a Run Action)

I know most (all?) of these have been answered. But, I have a spare couple minutes, and thought I'd chime in, in case anyone felt the need for an 'official' answer. ::):

1. If the Crusaders take the Paladins Doctrine, so all leaders have the free action Lay on hands.

If a leader does this, does it still have to go at the same time as all other casting for that activation?

If a leader is a caster, can he do Lay on Hands as a free action and still cast a spell?

My thinking is free or not, you still have to cast at the same time, and that would preclude a 2nd casting. Is that correct?

The intention with this doctrine was actually that it was separate from the normal casting rules, and that you could indeed cast it outside of the normal Spellcast Action of the rest of the Troop.

And yes, a Spellcasting Leader would indeed be able to cast 2 spells during the Activation that the Leader uses this Lay on Hands - the Lay on Hands as a Free Action, and then a spell during the normal Spellcast Action.

2. Question came up yesterday about the Flask of Hellfire. This allows the model to cast Hellfire, as a specialty action.

So is this saying, he can activate the flask as a special action, then cast it with his 2nd action?

Or is this saying the casting is the special action? So he could move and then cast this Hellfire?

And if that is the case, could they cast this as a special action, and then cast another spell? As the first was not a combat action to cast?

Casting the Hellfire spell via the Flask only takes the Specialty Action. It does not take a Spellcast Action, and like Lay On Hands above, it is done outside the normal Spellcast Action of the rest of the troop. So yes, if you bought that Flask for a Spellcaster, they could indeed 'cast' 2 spells in the same Activation. Or he could Move and throw the Flask.

3. A question came up about Nauseating. When do you roll for this? When you are ready to do combat? Or as you charge in? If you fail your roll as you charge in, are you free to use some other action, like inspire or cast a spell? Or do you roll as you are declaring you are attacking, thus losing your action?

You make the check after you have completed the Charge Action, but before you can perform a Fight Action. There is no check needed to get into B2B, only to perform a Fight Action on the Activation that you do get into B2B. If the check fails, you do not lose the second Action, and you may perform another Action.

4. Stealth and Charging. Can you Charge a model you can't "technically" see? Ie, its in stealth or more than 2" in the woods?

Charging, do you declare who is charging whom before you move at all. Or do you just say, I'm charging. Move your full distance, then decide which models you are charging with your final 2-4"?

You can indeed Charge a model you cannot see (like if it is around a corner). Charge Actions are performed 1 at a time (unlike Combat Actions), and thus you can declare one, then see the results before you declare another. When you declare that a model is going to perform a Charge Action, you also declare the enemy model they are going to Charge.

5. Walls have become kind of an issue. If a model is standing behind the wall, and you can't see them, can you charge them?

Where on the wall do you have to get? Just to the base of the wall? Can you get on top of the wall? Or do you have to get over the wall?

If you are on opposite sides of a wall or fence? Is it harder to hit the opponent? There appears to be no modifiers for terrain?

I know in WL 1, there was a modifier if you were on higher ground. I don't see it, so I'm guessing that is gone?

If there is a wall between 2 models, then those models cannot get into B2B, as their bases need to be touching.

As for modifiers to different elevations, we decided to drop the rules when it became obvious it would take a page just to describe all the possible interactions of models of different sizes and models with reach weapons.

6. An issue came up about placing a AoE spell. Spell was 3" AoE and what the caster wanted to do was lay it, on a troop in such a way as to intentionally leave the enemy caster out of the AoE. So instead of placing the center, he wanted to place the edge. (the enemy caster was just to the side of the rest of the troop.) Is this legal, or should he place the center and then measure to see if he got it too close or too far away to hit all the others?

Spellcasters need to declare the center of the AoE. If the target is a model, the center is the center of that model's base. If it is a point on the ground, then that point is the center. You cannot move around a template to gain maximum benefit.

What I recommend if to take a 6-sided pip die, with the single pip face up. Have the spellcasting player place that die on the board, with the pip being his target point. Then simply measure the AoE from that pip. ::):

7. We were playing a 4 way battle. We used the escalation scenario. We put out 3 templates, and turn 1, worth 1, turn 2-2, etc.. Most models touching the template got the points, if tied, no one got the points. So someone is always left out. Turn 1, we pulled the joker card 1. hahaha. so no points. Anyway, fun game. But the question came up, shooting into combat if both are not friendly? If I target a model in combat, does the enemy he is fighting have to take a shaken roll? I know this is really one of those "house rules" situations not covered. So looking at how some of you would play this. Seems silly I can take 2 pot shots, 1 on each and force both sides to take a Dis check even if I don't hit.

We played it that only friendly models had to take Dis checks as that seemed to be the intent of the rule.

The rules only say that friendly models need to make DIS checks, so that is how I would personally rule it for my games.

• Like 1
8. Poisoned. What does remaining damage tracks mean, just looking for clarification. If a model has 2 DT.s 0 and 1. Takes a hit and is poisone. So he is on his last DT. When he goes to make his poison roll, does he need a 10 here or a 9? Assuming no toughness, etc..

If a model starts with 2 tracks, and takes 1 damage, it has 1 remaining track. Thus, a 9 or a 10 would succeed a Poison Check.

'Remaining Tracks' == 'How many points of damage you need to do to destroy the model'

9. Cleave: Attack check? Is that when you do a combat action, or does it apply to Defensive strikes as well?

Page 31, Step 4 of Fight Resolution. Note also Step 6, which says Defensive Strikes repeat steps 1-4. Therefore, Attack Checks happen both offensively and defensively.

10. Ok, I swear there was a full discussion on Assassin, and I can't find that thread now. Looking at the book yesterday did not jive with what an opponent was saying in my previous game. If a 2-3 models attacks and kills an enemy. And one of the 2-3 was assassin, and he did a wound. Can the enemy model still make full defensive strikes against the non-assassin models?

Yes

Thanks again.

You're Welcome!

• Like 1

If there is a wall between 2 models, then those models cannot get into B2B, as their bases need to be touching.

As for modifiers to different elevations, we decided to drop the rules when it became obvious it would take a page just to describe all the possible interactions of models of different sizes and models with reach weapons.

Interresting reply about walls ! :blink: Does that mean that although a model may have the movement to reach a model on the other side of a wall , if it can not be placed in B2B (due to width of wall or other terrain), it can not attack ? :unsure:

Edited by Brushmaster

Two things.

1. I hate the wall rules. They have added more problems for new players then anything. Interesting idea, poorly executed.

2. When a rule or item changes an action type it becomes the new action type. Regardless what the action is it no longer acts like that action. Therefore if a rule modified a combat action into a specialty action then one would operate outside of the normal all similar actions go at the same time rule.

I assumed he was talking about a low wall. He says wall/fence in that section of the question. I pictured it as two models on either side of a low wall/small obstruction. But even with that I don't see why they could fight. Assuming it is a low wall the active model should have taken a -1 MV to get over the wall, reach base to base and can now swing on the model just fine. If he didn't have enough movement then he can only glare at the enemy, which may not be as physically devastating but can have all manner of psychological benefits to both sides.

1. I hate the wall rules. They have added more problems for new players then anything. Interesting idea, poorly executed.

You make it sound like there is a series of complex rules for handling walls. ::P:

The only rules I know of are for LOS. Walls block LOS unless the attacker is touching the wall (i.e. hiding behind it, popping up to shoot). Are there more wall rules that I'm not remembering? :unsure:

ok, here was our situation with the wall.

We had a piece of "pre-built" terrain. It is about 6-8" long. Most is just rubble, but one end has a circular wall. Could be low or size 1. I'd say 2.5" diameter. I think we called them size 1 walls.

During the pre-game move, the Reptus player moved the assassin model into this circular wall. Positioned him in such a way as that no other models could fit inside the wall.

Since the walls were too thin for anyone to stand on, there was essentially no way to charge this model. Your not touching if you are against the wall, you can't get on the wall, and you can't get over the wall.

So did this player just make a brilliant move making it so players could not charge him. Since he is stealth no one outside 12" can shoot him. So either you have to get right up on him, or cast spells at him. Correct?