Sign in to follow this  
King Tiger

Most disappointing movie(s)

Batman. The Tim Burton version with Jack Nicholson.

Wow, really? While I don't call it one of the greatest movies ever, I really enjoyed that one. Of course, it's the "kid" version of Batman, not so much the gritty "Dark Knight" version. I like this one for different reasons than the new film reboots, but I still enjoy it.

Yes, really. Note, I never said it was on my worst movies list; just my most disappointing movies list. I don't even claim it was a bad movie at all, really. As I mentioned above, the reason I found it disappointing was that they had raised such huge expectations with what seemed like about 5 years (ok, an exaggeration) of intense promotion that it really couldn't help be anything but a disappointment. Cripes, half the kids in my high school had Batman logos inexplicably airbrushed on the butt pocket of their jeans for almost a year before the movie even came out! It was certainly better than most - oh heck, I'll say it - all of its sequels; some of those are on my worst movies list, but since I didn't expect much from them, I can't say they disappointed.

And say what you will about it being the non-gritty kiddie version compared with Dark Knight, but the world was a different place when it came out. IIRC there was quite a hubbub in the media about how "dark" it was compared to most adults' (at the time) idea of what comics were all about (ie. back when they were kids). Ie. when compared to Dark Knight, sure, it looks pretty sappy. But try comparing it to the Adam West series, or even the film's somewhat more contemporary Superman 3 (also on my worst movies list but I was young enough not to be disappointed), where apparently the best way they could think of to make Superman show how "evil" he had become from exposure to Richard Pryor's "tar"-infused synthetic kryptonite was to have him straighten the leaning tower of Pisa to a replica statue vendor's immense dismay, and Batman starts looking a bit more edgy (ok, the scene where Supe was angry drunk & smashing bottles behind the bar by flicking salted nuts or whatever at them was actually pretty [email protected], I must admit)... The only things I really didn't like about Batman were the way Burton obviously went out of his way to make the sets look like something out of a comic book rather than going for a more realistic looking city, and having to watch Prince's Bat Dance video about 60 times a day for a year or so. I certainly wouldn't expect everyone else to agree though - those are just my own opinions.

Kang

Yes, really. Note, I never said it was on my worst movies list; just my most disappointing movies list. I don't even claim it was a bad movie at all, really. As I mentioned above, the reason I found it disappointing was that they had raised such huge expectations with what seemed like about 5 years (ok, an exaggeration) of intense promotion that it really couldn't help be anything but a disappointment.

OK, fair enough. I suppose my questioning of your statement was a bit of a misunderstanding of your intent, despite my understanding that this thread isn't about "bad," necessarily.

I suppose I wasn't disappointed by Burton's Batman just because I wasn't really aware of "hype" at the time; it really wasn't until I was in high school that I paid any attention to my contemporary culture at all. I didn't see Batman until it was out on VHS, and I didn't really know what I was about to put in the VCR when I watched it.

Blair Witch Project ... was hyped up as the scariest movie and blah blah blah... I watched it... and to this day I still want those 1.5-2 hours of my life back.. that movie doesn't even belong in the garbage bin i thought it was so bad. I'd rather watch galactica 1980 reruns all day.

I thought the exact same thing after seeing Blair Witch in the theater, but I actually liked it a lot better after some time had passed and I viewed it at home. Still didn't live up to the hype, but I didn't think it was so horrible after all.

My biggest disappointment was Bram Stoker's Dracula. There was so much potential there: Francis Ford Coppola, Gary Oldman, Anthony Hopkins...but, they turned it into a love story and threw Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder into the mix. Maybe if they hadn't called it "Bram Stoker's Dracula", it wouldn't have bugged me so much. Stoker's Dracula was an evil fiend, not a romantic.

Blair Witch Project ... was hyped up as the scariest movie and blah blah blah... I watched it... and to this day I still want those 1.5-2 hours of my life back.. that movie doesn't even belong in the garbage bin i thought it was so bad. I'd rather watch galactica 1980 reruns all day.

I thought the exact same thing after seeing Blair Witch in the theater, but I actually liked it a lot better after some time had passed and I viewed it at home. Still didn't live up to the hype, but I didn't think it was so horrible after all.

I wasn't hugely impressed by Blair Witch, but I don't think I was really disappointed, either. I don't think it's a bad movie at all (though the sequel is one of the stinkiest piles you can imagine anyone building on top of such an amount of good will as was heaped on the original).

It isn't super scary, but it carried a mood here and there, and it did succeed in portraying a slacker mentality and also did a good job of showing how people in a bad situation can get on each other's nerves and start hating real quick. I always think of it in terms of a semi-decent Psych 101 thesis, rather than a horror flick.

I'm old.

Many of the movies mentioned here disappointed me, sure... but before all of them, for me, was the slow torture that was the animated Lord of the Rings. It was like watching a loved one tortured to death by sadistic clowns... death by cream pie and slow extraction of the last of one's dignity.

Ralph Bakshi's "Lord of the Rings" movie disappointed me beyond all belief. I wouldn't have believed it was possible to do such fine animation (for the major characters) while making the rest of it so bad (the orcs, the Balrog, the background characters, and so forth.)

While I was ready to accept some changes from my mental picture, I did not expect Aragorn to look like a constipated Cherokee in a kilt, nor did I expect Boromir to look like a deranged Viking, and I expected to leave the theatre knowing what an orc looked like! And the use of stock footage for rotoscoping the battle scenes was ... well, let's say seeing the Zulus suddenly pop up during the battle at Helm's Deep disguised as Orcs by having red glowy eyes and horns painted on them just about finished my ability to suspend my disbelief. It was a wretched experience.

Lastly, I was young enough at the time to BELIEVE Bakshi when he said he intended to use the profits from the first movie to make the second one... the one that would complete the story.

I was disappointed by that, too.

A friend of mine hates the Peter Jackson LOTR movies; he says they're not faithful to the books, they disappoint him. I liked them. It was like getting my beloved old uncle back, after the clowns had taken him away, so many years ago...

I was disappointed with the latter 2 Pirates of the Caribbean movies. I loved the first one. It was witty, had an interesting concept, and was generally fun. The second and third one all seemed to revolve around Jack Sparrow; and the second movie wasn't really a movie in its own right, just a lead up to the third.

I wanted a movie about pirates. Not about Jack. Very very disappointed.

I've been reminded of another movie that left me severely disappointed. Again, because it was so bad compared to the literary version. From about my sophomore year in high school I've been a fan of cyberpunk. Of course you can't be a fan of cyberpunk and not read William Gibson's works. I thoroughly enjoyed the short story "Johnny Mnemnonic." Apparently I was so upset by the movie that my brain has tried to block the memory of it. Between this one and Starship Troopers, it's no wonder I was so apprehensive when Steve Jackson took up LotR.

Over the years I've many a disappointment from high expectations for certain movies , most have been previous ly mentioned but waht was the point of the 3rd "Mummy" movie . For me it was a big WTF . :blink: Another was "The journey to the center of the earth" , maybe its a Brendan Fraser thing ! :wacko:

I wish Steve would chime in here because he can deliver a much more educated rant on why the following movies stank..point by point.. but I digress.

Pearl Harbor.. We saw the preview at another movie and he is about to totally spaz out, being that there aren't enough good movies about WWII in the Pacific. Turns out Pearl Harbor did not contribute in the least to that cause. It STANK! Okay so try taking out the mushy-gushy romance crap..and you're still stuck with a screwed up story line and a few glaring anachronisms...like the missile frigate? Huh?

Hulk - the first version, the one with all that crappy pseudo-psychology bullstuff between Bruce Banner and his daddy? Yeah, skip the crap and give us more Hulkage. Hell, Hulk was the only bit of believable acting in that whole film, and he was cee-gee. Definately a letdown..so much so that I had doubts a second telling of the story could ever redeem the equity of the Hulk brand.

But first-prize goes to....

Breakthrough! - You would THINK that any sequel to Cross Of Iron, no matter how pale by comparison, would still contain sufficient residual awesomeness to get by..but NOOOOO. You can tell almost the exact frame that marks the moment at which Sam Peckenpa was fired from the production. You go from gritty WWII ten-thousand bullets to "OMG what is this ..Hogans Heroes? It hurts, really it does.

And to add to the previous lament about Shadow Over Innsmouth... for the love of all that is Holy and Lovecraft, please DON'T watch Dunwich Horror. There is not enough mental floss in the world to purge your memory of that truly rotten turkey.

Conan the Destroyer -- Grace Jones was good, and the princess was hot. I've tried to purge the rest.

Evil Dead 2 -- I liked it but I was expecting a new story.

The recent G.I. Joe, because it wasn't based on the original from the 60s. Why does every high tech soldier have to be a Halo ripoff? Wasn't the Halo-look a ripoff of Starship Troopers?

Drag Me to Hell because it was a mild PG 13. This sort of movie should have pulled out all the stops--MPAA be damned.

Guess it has to be Star Wars Ep. 1. I was six when I heard about there possibly someday being a "prequel" to Star Wars, around the same time that Empire Strikes Back came out... So, I was looking forward to it for a while let's say. I seriously thought the opening scenes of Ep. 1 might be some sort of joke at first.

After the latest Indiana Jones, I just decided that Lucas was trying to destroy my childhood and every precious memory I had of it.

Seems like a lot of effort, and I don't know why he hates me, but I have no other explanation.

For my wife and I, it was the Tom Cruise version of The War of the Worlds.

Partly because we both got to the point fairly early in the movie when we were rooting for the aliens to kill the "heroes" since the protagonists were so darn stupid and unlikeable, they deserved to die (and put us out of our misery).

A big contributing factor was that darn movie was the first movie that we had seen together in around 9 months after the birth of our boy, so we came out of the theater thinking, "... and we wasted our chance to see a movie on *THIS*?" :angry:

Ron