Guilty Pleasures

Amalor Myrnnyx

The nature of our MB attracts fantasy and Sci Fi fans so its difficult for us to understand that while many of us consider "Blade Runner" and movies like it awesome stuff, a large portion of Jon Q Public see's it as average or down right stupid stuff.

I guess I always took a different view of the term "guilty pleasures". I never thought of them as things that I liked which other people thought was stupid, but rather things that I liked which I myself though were stupid. :lol:

For example, I like the movie Starship Troopers, even though I freely admit the actors sucked, the script was abominable and the whole thing was an embarasment to the original book. ::P:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I can't honestly say I would call them guilty pleasures but...

• Evil Dead I
  • Evil Dead II
  • Evil Dead III: Bruce Campbell vs. The Army of Darkness
  • Krull
  • Hawk the Slayer (though I do not like how they depicted Dwarves- but man Crow can sling some arrows...)

Might consider guilty pleasures:

• Charlies Angels movies
  • Shoot 'Em Up
  • Speed racer Movie
  • Ice Pirates

So I would have to say Clash of the titans, noone can even watch it with me without the usual comments on the bad stop annimation, over the top acting and such, but I love it!

I would have included "Clash" on my list too as well as Legend and Sword of the Valiant (Sean Connery as the Green Knight!) Just figured those types of movies are adored by many of us fantasy geeks that are members of the board and kinda don't count among us as much as others heh.

Too true, so then I would have to say my "un-fantasy" pick would have to be "the thing called love" I'm not sure why, but when it re-runs at midnight I'm up til two!

I like the Godzilla movies, anything that's appeared on Mystery Science Theatre, and I am a big fan of Vampire movies. Unfortunately, since vampire movies are the easiest movies to do cheaply (fangs, contact lenses, you're ready to go) they're also the easiest movies to do badly. I have some of the worst vampire movies ever committed to film in my collection.

And I'm the only person in my gaming group who actually liked the Dungeons & Dragons movie. (s)

Some favs already mentioned:

Ladyhawk

Robot Jox

Dune (didn't finish the book in time for my book report so I watched the movie thinking it would help... I failed that report LOL =)

Conan

Underworld (I walked out of the theatre with some friends and I was like "yeah that was awesome" and everyone looked at me like I was freak'n retarded; one guy responded with "that was the lamest movie I'd ever seen in a theatre...")

The Princess Bride (seriously how did that make this list? doesn't everyone love that movie?!)

Weird Scienece

Waterworld (The problem with bad movies that I like is that I watch them and think "this movie rules!" only to find out most everyone else thinks they sucks =)

The Fith Element (Again; why is this movie on the list? Another one I like of which I'm obvliouse to how much it sucks?)

MST3K (Those guys are pure comedy; my wife likes them also. A lot of the movies those guys watch should be on this list =)

Blade Runner (Seriously? I have to feel guilty for liking that movie? I guess my dad is guilty as well!)

Willow (Somebody help! There's a peck here with an accorn pointed at me!!!)

Evil Dead

Some others I love:

Encino Man

Beowulf & Grendel (after the opening scene my wife was like "I don't get it... this is retarded.." and rolled over to go to sleep. Terrible editing, half the time you're like "who the heck is this character and why do I care?", or "is there something I missed?" ... but I couldn't stop watching it!)

Tremors

Critters (any of them)

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

The Last Unicorn

Beastmaster

DUNE: I actually kind of liked it. I just didn't like the fact that to follow the movie, you had to have read the book. Either that, or you had to see it in the theatre, where they literally gave out little flyers with little glossaries on them so you'd know what a Guild Steersman or a Bene Gesserit was, and why a Kwisatz Haderach was important.

MST3K was a thing for a generation. It was good enough to survive switching TV stations twice in its lifetime!

I liked WILLOW well enough. It just wasn't good OR bad enough to really stick in my head.

The entire EVIL DEAD series was golden. Broke new ground in "horror comedy."

WATERWORLD was actually a pretty good drive in B movie. Its sole downer was that it was the most expensive drive in B movie in history.

TREMORS was pretty good too. How can a movie that no one likes spawn three sequels and a TV show?

Most of the output of one Edward D. Wood, Jr., particularly Plan 9 from Outer Space, Night of the Ghouls, and Bride of the Monster

Dark Star: Like Spike said about Buckaroo Banzai, you either get it or you don't

2010: The Year We Make Contact (I wish they had followed the novel more closely though)

Hangar 18: A silly movie, but Darren McGavin gives a good performance

Bad Taste: Peter Jackson's first movie--whatever you do, don't eat dinner while watching it. Or breakfast. Or lunch. Or eat snacks. Trust me on this.

Mission to Mars

The Hunt for Red October

Hawk the Slayer--my girlfriend introduced me to this one, and I really enjoyed it

Elvira, Mistress of the Dark and Elvira's Haunted Hills

Queen of Outer Space (starring Zsa Zsa Gabor!!)

Transylvania 6-5000 - goofy but always makes me guffaw

The Craft - A guilty pleasure, I happen to like sexy witches

Plus a plethora of bad, old sci-fi and horror films, such as:

Angry Red Planet

Journey to the Seventh Planet

Reptilicus

Cat Women on the Moon

Devil Girl from Mars

The Vampire Lovers

Planet of the Vampires

Robot Monster

Rocketship X-M

The Snow Creature

The Werewolf vs. The Vampire Woman

The Wrestling Women vs. The Aztec Mummy

Doctor of Doom (also featuring the aforementioned Wrestling Women)

Horror of the Blood Monsters

Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet

Blacula

The Beast Must Die

The Crawling Eye

*weep!*

You are my hero.

Oh and add Zardoz (Sean Connery is a red vinyl bikini , matching theigh high boots and and pancho via bandoleers being givien AK-47's from a giant float stone head which preached'The Gun is Good, the penis is Bad!')

And the Lost Skeleton of Cadavra...