Rosie, Chronotechnician (#50016)

Shakandara

Ok, these pics are total carp becuase I forgot to rephotograph her before sending her off to Eric, but they will have to do unless he wants to take some shots of her. I snapped these quick to upload to FB to prove that I'd finally finished it. Anyway...

I really wanted to step outside my "groove" of the last several exchanges. Each time, I've used purrple (not that there is anything wrong with that), and each time the piece has included undead (even when it wasn't the primary focus of the piece). Based on Eric's handle, I figured that he was probably a Privateer Press fan. However, since this was a Reaper exchange, I wasn't going to be painting something from them for him. So, I figured that if he liked their stuff, then he probably liked the steampunk style in general. I ran with that, and chose Rosie from the Chronoscope line. I stole Jen Haley's clockwork base idea from Sascha, but went a little different direction with it. I decided that to get Rosie to really fit with the steampunk look, I'd try to do her somewhat monchromatic using a sepia-toned group of paints for my palette. Considering it was somthing I'd never tried before, I don't think I screwed it up too terribly. I really struggle with fine details (like eyes), so I tried to challenge myself a bit by working on my dark lining and trying to give her eyes some expression. Finally, I tried to dirty her up a bit, to fit the theme and her persona. Enough blabbing, here are the carptastic pics:

post-2714-1253405908.jpg post-2714-1253405921.jpg

Comments welcomed; I don't paint more than about 1-2 miniatures per year, but I do try to improve with each one I paint. ::):

~v

Edited by Shakandara
  • Like 2

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time I see this mini painted up, I love her more and more.

I really like the sepia in this one; you haven't gone completely monochrome, which can be a neat effect but often makes minis look like chess pieces, but you've still given us the "old-timey" feel of Steampunk. Really nicely done. I also like the clockwork base, especially since you included some nice large elements that look like that wrench of hers might be useful.

I like her eyes, too. The only "fiddly" detail I'd look out for in future would be to find those places on her wrench (or whatever tools/weapons another mini might have) that are worn and shiny; you've done some nice shading on the metal, now look for the wear and tear.

Nicely done!

Thanks, everyone. And I'm glad you like her, Eric.

I do enjoy painting when I can work on something like this. The main reason I don't paint more is that I am *painfully* slow, partly just because I don't practice enough to get faster, and partly because of physical limitations. I put in somewhere over a ridiculous 12 hours to finish her, which is why I just can't bring myself to paint my own stuff.

Regarding shiney spots, you are dead-on, Sanael. That would have been a nice touch if I'd considered it at the time... ::P:

~v