Sign in to follow this  
Brushmaster

Mix'n'match or single troop ?

Ok , I've seen a lot of lists posted lately that have a single troop for their archers , but I often run troops with a couple of archers in each troop especially when I use Dwarves or Overlords . What to you do and why ?

Using elves with their shoot-into-melee doctrine, spreading the archers around allows for two combat phases in every activation, very useful against enemies that need softening. I'll usually take two archers for a mid-sized troop (probably five or six melee grunts).

I split up my ranged troops for a number of reasons. Firstly if my ranged troops are split up the damage done by one troop is applied before the other troop fires. This can make a big difference. Secondly it allows me to do a multi-staged attack with my troops which is particularly effective against enemies with Damage Reduction. Shooting at the enemy prior to charging in is simply awesome since it often lowers DV by a point or two, and in the case of Damage Reduction is often enough to have canceled out Damage Reduction before close combat starts.

I really like splitting up my ranged guys for the simple reason that it annoys opponents. :devil:

They can't just rush out into the open to close the range after your archer unit fires, because you've got two or three more waiting to go. It makes them choose to get "softened up" or get creative on closing while denying me shots. Which they seem to get creative a lot around here. :lol:

DRG

As a general principle I try to have the ranged models spread out. It doesn't always happen, and I've made plenty of lists that I'm happy with that have the ranged models all focused into a single troop, sometimes with a melee guard and sometimes without. One advantage to having them segregated into one troop is that you can activate another troop first on turn 1, wait until your opponent has advanced one of their troops, then activate your archer troop and send a huge volley their way. If your archers are spread out it's harder to make a big impact with your archers.

So, I can see reasons for doing it both ways, and tend to favor having them spread out as my strategies most often revolve around melee and the archery is a secondary or tertiary component of my army.

I have to admit that for the most part I am opposite of all the replyers so far. I do prefer mine all to be in a single troop. Although I have fun spreading them out too, we have good players here so it is important to always change things up and keep the opponent guessing and not let them build against a certain style every time.

But two main reasons that I tend to put most of my archers in a single troop:

1. I like to also put a caster in the troop that can boost them in some way, whether it be via a bless, mirror, flame shot, or even by affecting the enemy with spells that stun, hold, scare, or whatever..

2. I also tend to use my archers to head hunt the big target of the enemy. One or two archers wont do much, but get a single lucky shot. But, a handful of archers focusing and spell boosted can make a huge difference to almost any enemy. Will it take 200 points worth of arrow shots to try and take down a 200 point model? Probably. So, it takes those kinds of resources working together, and those same 200 points might get creamed by 150 points worth of enemy soldiers coming across the field, but if they were able to take out the 200 point leader or solo or whatever, then they did their job. Not to mention they also made the enemy divert other troops to deal with measely archers.

I also tend towards troops of archers for similar reasons to Stubbdog. I also tend to use archery as the main striking force of my elf lists. For Me Magic/Archery are the primary weapon with melee to support. Again its the shock and awe aspect. A concentrated volley of 3-4 archers and a couple of characters boosted by magic and magic weapons can devastate a small troop or severely damage most anything. My melee troops tend to stay back to deal with things going for the archers.

When I bring out my O'lords I tend to stick all my Xbows in one troop. Since they benefit from locked shields I figure it's best to stick them all together and also gain benefit from their ranked ability, so I typically arrange them in a 3x2 formation on a hill if i can. I use them primarily to smash larger targets (RAV 5 with pierce after focusing) and am not too concerned about enemy melee getting to them since they are stouter defensively. I used to toy with having them run around in other troops, but if find them to be more effective at actually getting things killed when I can concentrate their firepower, strange right? :poke:

Joshua

I had the same conversation with kim this morning about how I use my O'lord xbows, and I came to the conclusion that I did so for the exact same reasons that you do, Johsua. Despite the fact that, in general, it seems better to spread your ranged units out somewhat, with O'lord xbows (esepcially in the Onyx Legion), keeping them together seems to work better.

~v

I do both, depending on the build and how the wind blows. Last time I used 6 Merc Crossbows in a single nit they proved very useful. If I have good ranged attack models, I mostly try to put a few in each unit for many of the reasons above.

I like to mix it up. Sometimes I put all my archers in one troop and sometimes I like to sprinkle them among a few different ones. It really depends not only on who I'm facing but to keep my opponents on their toes.

i always put mine in one troop and always have a caster to bless them or help them in someway. yeah you can soften up targets and it helps but killing targets with archers is much better. Killing them with ranged attacks you deny them there defensive strikes which keeps your melee units alive. yea you might lower there mav by one or negate the damage reduction but there still going to hit your melee units back when u attack. Id much rather focus fire and take out guys than "soften them up". It will also lower the chance they get support when they attack you if u kill some. Also if your archers are spread out and your going against an all nefsokar DR army then there not going to do much in till you get your melee guys in, if there in one troop you cna put them all on 1-2 guys and drop 100 points or so before they get to you.

So im with jason on this one. Always group them together with a caster(who can possibly soften them up for your archers or support your archers).

My dwarf piercers tend to be in one group, but if I think I might be fighting against flying critters, I try to spread them out a bit to cover as much airspace as possible.