Sign in to follow this  
jdripley

Trying to break b2b twice

Say I've got a Merc Spearman trying to move away from the Bone Horror (which is a good idea).

I give the Merc Spearman a Move action, then roll my Dis check. He fails, and he's still in b2b and he's shaken. But I still really want that spearman out of b2b with the Bone Horror, and let's face it, the Bone Horror will smoke him in melee shaken or not, so I figure what the heck, I'll try to break away again.

Do I give the Merc Spearman a Move action? My gut says no, since I already gave him a Move action I cannot give him a move action and I've either got to give him a Run action or a Charge action. Am I right?

I would say that the spearman is stuck in B2B as you can not repeat actions and you can not "Run" unless you have already performed a "Move" action . To perform a "Charge" action you must fulfill all requirements for a "Move" action , and since you can not move , the point is moot . :upside:

Well you did perform a move action, right? But you failed your Discipline check and didn't get to move.

Page 30 under "Leaving Base-to-Base Contact with an Enemy" says that if the dis check fails, "it cannot move away, and the movement Action is lost."

So I guess what I'm really asking is, when a movement action is lost is that inferring that the entire action is considered to have "no effect" or to have "not happened (yet still take up one of the model's two actions)?"

If it is considered that the model loses its action but did not perform a move action, then another Move or a Charge are the only options. If it is considered that the Movement Action took place but the effect was lost, then your options are Run and Charge.

I'm talking about taking a second action and trying to break away with that second action, not salvaging the first action.

But I suppose semantics could also be argued along the lines of the duration of "cannot move away." I doubt the intention of that clause is that the model may never break away and context seems to indicate to me that the duration of that clause is the action.

I would say that the spearman is stuck in B2B as you can not repeat actions and you can not "Run" unless you have already performed a "Move" action . To perform a "Charge" action you must fulfill all requirements for a "Move" action , and since you can not move , the point is moot . :upside:

Here I would argue that a 'Move" action HAS been performed, just resulting in zero inches moved. I see it much like a spell that fails, you performed the action, just no results. So a Run or Charge action could be performed as the second action. Not sure that I would charge another model while shaken, but there it is.

It is indeed like a failed spell. If you fail your DIS check, you have indeed spent your Move action, and cannot perform another. Run actions cannot be used to break from B2B, so that is not an option. That just leaves you with a Charge Action as your remaining option.

Does that mean I can leave base-to-base contact with a Charge Action? If I start my activation in contact with a Bull Orc, I can Charge away from it and engage a Goblin, then use my next action to attack said Goblin?

I was under the impression only a Move action could get you out of base contact.

Run actions cannot be used to break from B2B, so that is not an option.

OK, I am sitting here with the rules on page 30. It states that a Run Action is resolved exactly like a normal Move Action and only requires that you have performed a Move Action before you can Run. I don't see anything that states that you cannot RUN AWAY from B2B in the leaving B2B section on the same page.

I know you wrote these rules, but I don't see anything written that says you can't Run when it implies that you can in the last paragraph on p30!

Well. The only way to get into B2B is via a charge action. Hence it is impossible that you've just done a move action yet you're in B2B and want to break free.

Run actions cannot be used to break from B2B, so that is not an option.

OK, I am sitting here with the rules on page 30. It states that a Run Action is resolved exactly like a normal Move Action and only requires that you have performed a Move Action before you can Run. I don't see anything that states that you cannot RUN AWAY from B2B in the leaving B2B section on the same page.

I know you wrote these rules, but I don't see anything written that says you can't Run when it implies that you can in the last paragraph on p30!

In order to run, you have to have moved. Run says it is intended to allow the model to spend the whole activation moving. Failing a break away means you didn't move. Also, Run says you need to have "performed" a Move Action. The failed break away says the Move Action is lost.

I admit this could have been written so there could be no confusion. However, the word "run", plus the language of "spend your entire activation moving", clearly implies that it cannot be used when you haven't moved yet.

Ok then , so to perform a "Charge" action you must fulfill all requirements to move . Does this mean you still ahve to pass a Dis check to charge away from a model in B2B ? :wacko::unsure:

Ok then , so to perform a "Charge" action you must fulfill all requirements to move . Does this mean you still have to pass a Dis check to charge away from a model in B2B ? :wacko::unsure:

Yes, you need to make a DIS check for any type of breaking away.