Battle Report: Crusaders vs Dwarves

So, last night the gang and I headed to our LGS to try and get some of the "old timers" back into Warlord 2nd Ed. Pretty much all of them have purchased the new book, so that is good. Greenie was not the sucker...errr...player :devil: who was fielding Crusaders last night. It was an old timer named James. He's pretty much played them from the beginning, and so was excited to get them back on the table again. I don't remember exactly what his army is, but I'll give it my best. He isn't on the forums, unfortunately.

Ironraven

3 Templar Knights

3 Unforgiven

2 Ironspine

Acacia

4 Archers

Sir Conlan

3 Justicars

Sir Conlan

6 Templar Knights

Uriel

Luck Stone

Totals: 999 Points, 26 Models, 5 Troops

Here is the army list that I was fielding:

Logan Battlefury + Mithril Armor

5 Berserkers

Musician

Tohil Steadyhand

5 Piercers

Abjorn Hofkeg

5 Miners

Musician

Stone Spirit

Griffon

Luck Stone

Totals: 1,000 Points, 20 Models, 5 Troops

Random Thoughts

1) What helped me win the game overall was Damage Reduction. The Stone Spirit having DR/2 was a huge bonus. I have seen it work wonders, but with James fielding only one model that had over 2 attacks (Uriel) he had to severely overcommit forces to take down the Spirit. I think he had at least 350 points (if not over 400) surrounding the Spirit at one time, including Uriel. I managed to kill Uriel, one of the Conlans and two Templar Knights before I was taken down. Yes, he wasn't rolling horribly well, but still...Logan also had DR/1 (thank to Mithril Armor) and it made a huge difference as well. There were plenty of times that he would get one hit on a Defensive Strike and it would just bounce. His response to DR was something like "Who's bright idea was it to include this SA in the game?" :;):

2) James was very underwhelmed with the Crusaders as a whole. While he did pull off a couple of timely Exhumes and a Winglock, he was not impressed with the army at all. He claimed that he was going to finish painting them up and then sell them off on eBay. With that being said, James talks a lot, so to be honest I will actually be surprised if he goes through with that plan. I tried to remind him that it was his first game back with the new rules and that I have using these rules for like a year, so I had a touch more practice than he did. ^_^ I'm hoping that he will settle down and play with the Army Builder (which he thought was awesome :wub:) and try to work up a better list for next time. Time will only tell...

3) To be honest, I thought going into the 4th turn that I was doomed. My Spirit was surrounded, I had 2 miners left, the Griffon was getting shot up and my Berserkers were stuck with Ironraven's unit. But, by the end of the 5th turn I had Logan with 1 wound, a Berserker with one wound and all of my Piercer troop unhurt remaining. James had 2 unhurt archers and a Justicar on his last damage track. By the end of turn 6, had we gone that far, I would have most likely wiped him out. :upside:

As a whole, James really liked the look of the new Warlord. He was excited about playing. He has had the rulebook for a couple of weeks and said that he really likes the Reptus faction now. So, I expect to him whip those guys out. Plus, he owns like a metric crap ton of Bondslaves, so I expect to see them hit the table again. :wacko:

Also, we had numerous people come by and watch either my game or the one that Greenie and Warwick were having. That was a titanic battle, and I hope that submit a battle report on it. What I was told about it it sounded awesome!! ::): We will most likely head back there in a couple of weeks, so we'll see if we get better response in players that time around. ::):

Wild Bill :blues:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, WB! You sure don't take it easy on new guys! I always avoid DR with either new or returning players, since it is so different than Warlord 1, and new players just don't know how to deal with it. It is something that needs to be planned for. When you see your opponent drop a Stone Spirit on the table, you better start strategizing how the heck you're gonna deal with it. But that's exactly how I wanted those 200 point models! ::D:

Man, WB! You sure don't take it easy on new guys! I always avoid DR with either new or returning players, since it is so different than Warlord 1, and new players just don't know how to deal with it. It is something that needs to be planned for. When you see your opponent drop a Stone Spirit on the table, you better start strategizing how the heck you're gonna deal with it. But that's exactly how I wanted those 200 point models! ::D:

Well, I realized after I got to the store that every list I had brought with me included DR guys in some form or fashion. The other list I could have fielded had two DR/2 Earth Elementals plus DR/1 Logan. :blink: I figured only one DR/2 model was better. ::D:

I did have an Elf list I could have whipped out, but it has Mossbeard in it, so there was not getting around DR for poor ol' James. :down:

And James managed to pull off an Exhume on the Spirit, which is how he managed to surround it. But, at least I gave as good as I got!! ::):

When we left, he was arleady talking smack about the Reptus, so I know he will back playing again. Besides, he was used to losing to my Dwarves so it wasn't anything new for him. :devil:

Wild Bill :blues:

P.S. I forgot to mention earlier that I failed every single Tough check that I had to make, while he had one Justicar make every single one of his. I think it was that lone Justicar that was still standing at the end of the game! Grrr...