Avoiding the clogged MSP tips?

Dane

Hi all!

I haven't been here at the Reaper Forums in ages! I was seduced by Space Marines, and ran off to Bolter and Chainsword.

Anyhow, I still use 100% Reaper MSP paints for my Ultramarines, but have constantly run into an issue with several of my paint bottles clogging up at the tip. I've done the poke-through with a paperclip, and the rinsing of the tip in warm water. Those methods are hit-or-miss for me. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I've taken to pulling out paint with a paintbrush and dabbing it on my palette.

Is there any way to use the poke/rinse method to get a clear nozzle, and then avoiding the clog in the future? I did a searchy that recommended the poke/rinse, but nothing that keeps the clog from coming back. I would prefer to not keep taking the nozzle out of the bottles, as my Pure White nozzle broke from repeated removal/reinsertion. The thin ring of plastic around the tip tore, so that the nozzle no longer dispenses paint, and sank down into the bottom of the bottle! Oops!

I've heard that it's best to store one's MSP dropper bottle upside-down. Does this help avoid clogs, or just make them worse?

Thanks all!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The last time this topic came up, it was remarkably similar to what you're describing - failure of the Pokey Implement 'cure' to work long enough to get more than another drop or 2 out of the bottle, plastic ring around the dropper tip flawed/breaking, etc.

Here's a link to that thread. I'm not sure it'll leave you totally satisfied, but it seems to be the latest word on this problem that I'm aware of until/unless someone else posts here with something new.

Good luck,

Kang

As I re-read the other thread I think I have a clue as to what may be happening at least in some cases. Sometimes when a nozzle is molded the center is not clearing out completely or at all. This, of course, keeps the paint from coming out, sometimes resulting in the nozzle blowout scenario. When you use the poking manuever to clear it I think it may be just pushing the piece of plastic that is there out of the way enough for a drop or two to come through and then sealing back up by the pressure of the paint from squeezing the bottle.

So if this happens I would take the nozzle off, clean it and see if there is some plastic just hanging at the interior opening that may be sealing the bottle back up when you try and squeeze it. I have a couple of bottles like this at home and if/when I figure out which ones they are I'll check them for potential offending pieces of plastic.

You can also try removing the nozzle, cleaning it, then using your poking implement to poke the nozzle from the inner side to the outer side. Also, Dane, are you holding bottle straight up and down, or at a 30-40 degree angle? If you hold your bottles perpendicular to the table it might be the skull agitators sinking down and blocking the nozzle.

I agree with the suggestion to go from the inside out. I also would not use a needle or other really sharp implement to clear the nozzle, because soft plastic will deform around such a point and then resume its original shape (with a small or nonexistent hole). Use a drill bit or a blunt rod (like a straightened paperclip) instead.

Thanks for the ideas, all. I'll have to try out the pokin from inside to out method as soon as I hit my next usage of Honed Steel. I know that bottle is particularly annoying.

The one drop, clog, one drop, clog event happens every time with that one.

I hold my bottles at a 45 degree angle, or thereabouts.

I haven't used MSP, but I would occasionally have a bottle of Vallejo that had a "hunk of goo" in it and it would constantly clog like you're saying. If I could fish that out of the bottle, it helped a lot. The trick was to take the cap off before turning the bottle right side up, so the goo would remain in the neck and could be worked out.

As I re-read the other thread I think I have a clue as to what may be happening at least in some cases. Sometimes when a nozzle is molded the center is not clearing out completely or at all. This, of course, keeps the paint from coming out, sometimes resulting in the nozzle blowout scenario. When you use the poking manuever to clear it I think it may be just pushing the piece of plastic that is there out of the way enough for a drop or two to come through and then sealing back up by the pressure of the paint from squeezing the bottle.

So if this happens I would take the nozzle off, clean it and see if there is some plastic just hanging at the interior opening that may be sealing the bottle back up when you try and squeeze it. I have a couple of bottles like this at home and if/when I figure out which ones they are I'll check them for potential offending pieces of plastic.

Ok so I'm not crazy. There are others out there that have had this problem. I thought it was some sinister trick Reaper plays on new customers or something. :ph34r::;):

You know, I'm not sure I tried the 'use a Pokey ImplementTM from the inside' method with the problem green dropper I mentioned in the other thread... Definitely rinsed and poked from the outside in though. Thanks for pointing that out. Not sure when I'll be using that dropper next (more absorbed in a big WorldWorks Games cardstock dungeon project right now), but if this thread is still alive by then, I'll make sure to give it a try then come back to say how it worked.

Oh, and I completely agree with Doug Sundseth: paperclips make great PI's.