Makeup question for the ladies

Lastman

There's a free screening of Zombieland in a couple days to anyone who dresses like a zombie. http://chicagozombie.com/

My everyday clothes look fairly shabby so all I need to worry about is the makeup.

What could I use as primer on my skin that will make it easy to wash off?

What could I use to blacken/purple/blue my eye sockets?

For skin I'd need something white or gray, and something to glaze for a blueish hue.

Do you think it's possible to achieve a zombie look with regular makeup?

Tomorrow I'll be asking my women friends to use stuff from their makeup supplies (I am not a transvestite) because I don't want to use grease paint.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see doing this without actual makeup of some kind. You have to be careful with the darker colors because they can stain.

The dollar stores should have the makeup kits out - you could check there to see what's available.

Hint - check the dark colors first. Put some on the back of your hand in the morning and see what happens when you wash it off at night. You might want to pick up some Noxema or similar cleaning product. If the color is still there, then it's going to stain. Red makeup sticks are notorious for this.

Every time I've done zombie makeup it's been with professional theatrical makeup so I can't really help much otherwise.

• Super Administrators

Putrid green isn't a common base. And stuff in your kitchen will almost certainly stain.

I'm with Rastl: theatrical makeup is really the best stuff for this purpose. It covers well and is easily removed with Pond's or something like it.

Good zombie effects are going to be very hard to achieve with street makeup.

Luckily, October is coming up, so you may have some decent costume stores opening on a temp basis (or, being in Chicago, I know you'll be able to find some incredible theatrical supplies in town).

What you really want is Ben Nye. It's a theatrical make-up brand with brilliant colors and excellent coverage, and isn't usually too expensive. You can get a small color wheel, which are available in a wide variety of 4-color mixes...I would suggest something with red or purple, yellow and green. A larger color wheel will be more expensive (my guess would be $20-25), but will have 6-8 colors, which would be even better. You will get a LOT more than you need for one application, but if you don't leave it sitting open or in full light, it will last for years (as a professional stage actor, I have several seldom-used, still usable compacts from Ben Nye that are over 5 years old). Ben Nye is heavier than street makeup and a little greasier, but it isn't grease paint, won't hurt your skin if you don't have allergies (check the ingredients if you're concerned!), and washes pretty easily with a good cleanser. You may also want to get a compact of appropriate foundation--a good store can help you get the right shade.

Start with a foundation coat blended with a little green--use a sponge or your fingers. This should give you the grey-green "undead" look. Around your eyes, a bit of the purple, blended out to yellow, then blended into the foundation/green. A tiny dab of purple right under your cheekbone, blended down, will give you a hollow-cheek look, then blend a tiny bit of yellow from the front of your cheekbone straight back to give a little highlight (you might notice a similarity here to painting a mini's face). You can use the same Ben Nye colors to shade your lips, and don't forget your ears and neck above your shirt.

With a standard color wheel, you can get some gnarly bruises and cuts, though they won't be oozey. A little liquid latex or scarfication wax can go a long way in rending your flesh, but either of those will add to your total bill. If you really want to read my ramblings on the matter, send me a PM and I can give you some much more detailed ideas.

Hope this helps, or at least entertains, even if I'm not one of the ladies!

What could I use as primer on my skin that will make it easy to wash off?

Makeup doesnt work that way. It is either the cheap kind that comes off if you touch it, and will eventually slide off your face, or it is the good kind that you have to scrub/use remover on. However, a clean face and a good moisturizer are usually suggested as a starting point.

What could I use to blacken/purple/blue my eye sockets?

Any kind of purple/blue eyeshadow should work. There are some that give you a color and then a darker grey/brown shadow of it that would be fun to blend. Don't plan on rubbing your eyes during the evening. Check out some of the makeup company websites for tips on how to apply it.

For skin I'd need something white or gray, and something to glaze for a blueish hue.

I'd look for one of the 'halloween' face kits for white or grey, but IMO they are really pasty and fake looking.

Do you think it's possible to achieve a zombie look with regular makeup?

IF you can get the right foundation shade. There are some really light foundations out there, both in color and thickness, though they won't be grey/white or blue. Just really pale flesh. You can get blue or white lipstick and suitable eye shadow colors.

TEST EVERYTHING way before hand. You may discover you have a skin reaction to something you never had before, from a compound you can't pronounce. You may have to wear it for 30 minutes or more before discovering it causes a really nasty rash, and trust me, the night of the party is not when you want to find out. Also, if you turn out to be allergic, you can try another product in time. In my experience, the cheaper the makeup, the more likely it will cause a rash. YMMV.

EDIT: be sure you test it on your face, not on your hand or arm. Your hands are not as sensitive as your face will be, and you can smear something on your arm and not react to it, while your cheeks or forehead will.

First, I'll agree with everything Inarah just posted, especially about testing everything, and about the general nastiness of most made-for-Hallowe'en make-up kits.

Second, I just took a look in my make-up kit and found a creme foundation that would be my one absolute suggestion, as it's a wonderful foundation for undead/sickly skin. Ben Nye #P-14, "Sallow Green." It's a very, well, sallow, grey-green that can make your skin grey with a light, well-blended application, or truly pale green with very heavy usage. With this foundation, you can then use whatever street make-up you want to get the other effects you're after.

A last thing, and to echo another of Inarah's comments--don't expect to rub your face while this is on. One of the benefits of stage make-up is that it's much more durable than street make-up, but it will come off. A healthy dose of a translucent powder once you've finished applying will help prevent it from just sliding off your face, but rubbing against clothing and the like will still take some of it off.

Grr. Stupid notebook made me lose my first response.

I've worn my share of zombie makeup while working at Fright Fest (the Six Flags Halloween show) so I picked up a few hints along the way.

Get some dark purple/green and stipple it at your temples. Looks like mold. Don't go nuts, you just want a suggestion.

When you put on your base make big fish lips and cover those too. Then pencil in the purple/green in the resulting lines and onto your skin. Very 'natural' and nice effect.

Yes, as soon as you're fully made up you WILL feel the need to scratch your face somewhere. You can tap that spot and it will work just as well as scratching.