Sign in to follow this  
joshuaslater

EST.

I got the basics from reading the book, but I still have a question. My one model with EST conducts a target lock. The other models in the proverbial huddle do the same thing. Then guns blaze!!

Would I add the TC of the EST model, the TC of the other shooters, then Piercing, etc., to come up with the total bonus?? This is assuming no model moved, and they all were initally in the huddle, like say, right 'round deployment??

I need to get a grip on EST and ECM if I ever hope to win!!

It's on!!

For those of you saying "sheesh," understand I'm not the swiftest cat, even on a good day.

The EST target lock makes target locking for other models in the "huddle" redundant--that is, the bonuses don't stack. So all of your non-EST models actually have another action available...

Thanks!! I used the Templar Superior Equipment doctrine, and lots of EST, and ECM to finally pummel Dave. Actually, he called it early as I had better luck with deployment, initiative, and even if his tanks broke through, I got him this time.

Models really do better with paint on them!!

On this topic, I have a quick question/request for clarification.

If you have a model with EST/3 and ECM/3, that means that any model in its section within 3 inches can gain the benefits of the EST and ECM, correct? Models in other sections cannot, no matter where they are, correct?

With EST, the model with the EST makes a target lock on a single enemy target, and everyone in the bubble can add the bonus to attacks targeting only that model, right?

With ECM, the model jams and the models in the bubble all recieve the Jamming bonus to DV vs all enemy attacks until that section is activated again, correct? Does the jamming affect defensive fire conducted against a model in the huddle that occurs during the same activation as the jamming was initiated? I am assuming so, but want to be clear.

Thanks,

Andy

On this topic, I have a quick question/request for clarification.

If you have a model with EST/3 and ECM/3, that means that any model in its section within 3 inches can gain the benefits of the EST and ECM, correct? Models in other sections cannot, no matter where they are, correct?

With EST, the model with the EST makes a target lock on a single enemy target, and everyone in the bubble can add the bonus to attacks targeting only that model, right?

With ECM, the model jams and the models in the bubble all recieve the Jamming bonus to DV vs all enemy attacks until that section is activated again, correct? Does the jamming affect defensive fire conducted against a model in the huddle that occurs during the same activation as the jamming was initiated? I am assuming so, but want to be clear.

Thanks,

Andy

EST and ECM bubble effects any friendly model within the radius, so even models of different sections still recieve the bonuses.

Yes to everything else.

Remember EST and ECM do not effect close combat or strikes

EST and ECM bubble effects any friendly model within the radius, so even models of different sections still recieve the bonuses.

Saint is correct, but the duration of the Actions is important here.

The bonus from a Target Lock Action only lasts for as long as the Model's activation, so as soon as it's section has performed all of their Actions, the bonus goes away. This prevents models in another section from gaining use of another section's Target Lock Action and prevents models from using the bonus during Defensive Fire.

The bonus from a Jamming Action lasts until the Model's next activation, so the bubble stays up and any model that is inside of it (regardless of section) get the bonus.

Chrome you're good. I'm going to need to print this out on a quick reference sheet. It appears that EST can only be used within the section, however, ECM can protect other models from different sections. End of activation vs. end of turn.

Not end of turn, beginning of the model's next activation. I'm sure you know the difference and prolly just typed what was going thru your head, but want to make sure.

Yup. D'oh!! I'm sure you take for granted all this having been involved for such a long time, but for us folks just arriving, for such a simple mechanic, it's elegant, not simplistic, with lots of options and tactics.

As usual Chrome, you da man. I hope one day to meet everyone across a game of CAV.

I forwarded the link about Black Lightning to Dave. Took all that time for us to get that together. We are thinking of inventing our own version of Black Lightning out of Dave's house of games. It may as well be a gamestore with all the events we run there.

First event had players from as far away as Sweden and California. I think we could push CAV forward, and even if it's just a regional blip, we'd do it right.

Yup. D'oh!! I'm sure you take for granted all this having been involved for such a long time, but for us folks just arriving, for such a simple mechanic, it's elegant, not simplistic, with lots of options and tactics.

Not at all. Its a lot of hard work trying to keep the rules simple enough to remember w/out constantly referencing a book, while still keeping them flexible enough to allow people to experiment with them and sometimes even bend them.

If anything its become harder over the years to remember what a specific rule does b/c we've changed and tweaked them so much over the past 5 years looking for the best solutions.

Well Dave and I say thanks, big time. Really. We were talking on the phone last night about how ridiculously into the game we were, the terrain and tables he's scratch building for it, the upcoming beatdowns and smack talk, and hopefully running some CAV events and doing some kind of Black Lightning thing. I know the program as we know it is no longer here, but Dave and I have thrown some considerable miniature events in our time.

Saint is correct, but the duration of the Actions is important here.

The bonus from a Target Lock Action only lasts for as long as the Model's activation, so as soon as it's section has performed all of their Actions, the bonus goes away. This prevents models in another section from gaining use of another section's Target Lock Action and prevents models from using the bonus during Defensive Fire.

The bonus from a Jamming Action lasts until the Model's next activation, so the bubble stays up and any model that is inside of it (regardless of section) get the bonus.

From RC08

Target Lock

The Model spends an Action to “Target Lock” a single enemy Model and adds

a Target Lock bonus equal to its TC to all of its Attack Rolls versus that

model. Target Lock lasts until the end of the Model’s activation. If the attack

is an AOE attack, the bonuses are instead added to AOE Target Point roll.

Multiple Target Lock bonuses (such as one Model’s Target Lock Action and

another Model’s EST bubble, or multiple EST bubbles) do not stack. Target

Lock bonuses are not applied to Defensive Fire.

EST/# SA

A Model with the Electronic Source Targeting SA adds its Target Lock bonus to

all friendly Models within its AOE, with the AOE equal to #. Use of the EST/#

SA is a Free Action and may only be performed after the Model performs a

Target Lock Action. To receive the TL bonus, a Model’s center must be inside

of the AOE at the time it performs its Ranged Attacks. The AOE lasts until the

Model’s next Activation and is measured outward from the center of the

Model. If the attack is an AOE attack, the bonuses are added from the AOE

Target Point Roll. Multiple TL bonuses do not stack.

So with the current errata (RC08), EST bubble stays but its associated bonus goes away at the end of the section's turn :blink: That needs to be fixed. ::P:

Well, as it is, which is how we played it last time, it allows for models from the one section to move near models from another section to take advantage of the shooting/DV bonuses, but also be more vulnerable to AoE attacks. It's a delicate balancing act as it is.

Well, as it is, which is how we played it last time, it allows for models from the one section to move near models from another section to take advantage of the shooting/DV bonuses, but also be more vulnerable to AoE attacks. It's a delicate balancing act as it is.

Orginally, this was how it was done. After RC07 they changed how electronic warfare in CAV worked by adding EDV and the variable distance for EST and ECM. The "until the model's next activation" was a legacy rule that was over looked. I'm sure it'll change with the next errata batch.